908     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 407     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 492     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only 25% of the population is batshit crazy at a time, I can handle that. Those seem like numbers we can deal with. When it's almost half, like when Rob got elected---that's when I start thinking seriously about getting the hell out of Dodge.

I think those outside of "Ford Nation" that voted last time were merely still thinking of garbage strikes and liked the "cut the gravy" slogan. They won't be voting for a Ford again.

In the last 20 pages, I have read an alarming number of disgusting, misogynist, peeping-tom posts about the nieces of Rob Ford (who -- unlike them -- is the subject of this forum). Way to go, guys. You're worse than Rofo. You're making these comments in public and while sober.

You're making these misogynist, cruel, personal remarks about young women you've never met, simply because the men in their families are politicians. It reminds me of Frank Magazine making jokes about raping Brian Multoney's daughter. Or Ford Nation crazies making hateful comments to attack gays. Or the taunts that Olivia Chow "can't even speak English".

It speaks volumes about who you are and what you stand for and for what many people in the Urban Toronto community and its moderators will tolerate. Thank you to those of you who have asked for these anti-women comments to stop. Shame on those of you who initiated and are keeping these offensive, off-topic and demeaning discussions alive.

Agreed.

I think those outside of "Ford Nation" that voted last time were merely still thinking of garbage strikes and liked the "cut the gravy" slogan. They won't be voting for a Ford again.

I still say that all the information you needed to know about Rob Ford was out there in 2010, and the people who are shocked----shocked! at what he turned into are either being disingenuous or admitting their status as a "low information voter". If no other positives came from this (they didn't),I hope that last bunch learned their lesson.

Yep. I wasn't very well informed at the last municipal election, but I knew that I had heard Rob was this fiscally conservative candidate who did radio shows and talked about not spending his budget, and blah blah blah. I had no idea who to vote for, but I voted for him because I wanted to exercise my democratic right. I won't ever make that mistake again.

In the last 20 pages, I have read an alarming number of disgusting, misogynist, peeping-tom posts about the nieces of Rob Ford (who -- unlike them -- is the subject of this forum). Way to go, guys. You're worse than Rofo. You're making these comments in public and while sober.

You're making these misogynist, cruel, personal remarks about young women you've never met, simply because the men in their families are politicians. It reminds me of Frank Magazine making jokes about raping Brian Multoney's daughter. Or Ford Nation crazies making hateful comments to attack gays. Or the taunts that Olivia Chow "can't even speak English".

It speaks volumes about who you are and what you stand for and for what many people in the Urban Toronto community and its moderators will tolerate. Thank you to those of you who have asked for these anti-women comments to stop. Shame on those of you who initiated and are keeping these offensive, off-topic and demeaning discussions alive.

I was extremely uncomfortable with some of the discussion - we don't need to be speculating on the sexual appearance etc of young women as part of this discussion. Snarking on what they've displayed publicly on line doesn't bother me (that's why you keep blogs/fb private if you don't want people looking at it/commenting - a lesson Krista learned when she tweeted that women shouldn't dress like "sluts" if they don't want to be assaulted), but it's not really on topic. When Doug trotted the family out for his presser at Mother's the Star did the trolling for us (was it the Star?), going through the fb pages and blogs. Other than showing us that the family is indeed well off and not "common folks" like he's pressing is really about the only relevant thing we've learned.

Hey how about this: the Forum poll is garbage. Forum weights its results, but on a consistent basis a full 2/3 of their respondents are over 55 . That means the weighting of the younger age categories is less reliably accurate, which is where I would expect a good portion of Chow's support would come from.

And also, cellphones. If you're not polling cellphones in Toronto, you're pretty much just making shit up. I only know a few people under 40 with a landline, the rest have cellphones. All of these people are people I would expect to vote for Chow.

I realize my ramblings are hardly more scientific than a poll. But my point is this: polls are no longer reliable. The very fact that polls released in a single day can have projections that differ by up to 22 points should be enough to tell you the whole business is rotten.

I got robo-polled by Forum last night (and gave them random responses, as any 7-year-old who answered the phone might do; how does Forum weight that, I wonder), and the last question was "Have I reached you on a landline or on a cell phone?"

You're making these misogynist, cruel, personal remarks about young women you've never met, simply because the men in their families are politicians..

I might agree if three out of four of them did not go into public life. Even the wife and the non public one pubilish i nstagram and you tube pieces.

As for real blond or not, cruel? Stretching the meaning of the word.

Last edited:
I might agree if three out of four of them did not go into public life. Even the wife and the non public one publish i nstagram and you tube pieces.

Agreed that behaviour of family is in scope, because Rob and Doug make their family part of the package - Ford Fest is a "family" bbq after all. It also puts a lie to his regular-guy credentials, which is in scope because of his attacks on Tory. However there should be consensus that speculating on their naughty bits is out of scope.

I don't see it. If you believe the polls, he is in second place. His name would still be on the ballot too, so people would vote for him.

Well, that's settled then. None of the young women dye their hair.

More appropriately, does Doug dye his hair? Perhaps he wears a toupee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back