Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.47.47 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.47.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.47.47 PM.png
    41 KB · Views: 694
Must say: If someone had told me 60 days ago that the humane, conscientious (but not perfect - are you perfect?) individual who goes by the name of Olivia Chow would be in third place and falling I would have replied: "C'mon. Who told you that? Nick Kouvalis? Doug Ford?"

Byugl6vIIAAxbK8.png

More serious mode, I caught the last half of this debate online. I thought Chow was doing ok until she did this, not spectacular but ok. She has a creative arts background, she knows the difficulties of being in an often unappreciated, little understood or cared by most people, understands the arts is actually a very competitive field, and she's got arts cred in an obvious art friendly venue. She also knows, or I hoped she knows that artists can often be unfairly I think, stereotyped for being too "artsy fartsy out there" and can't be taken seriously. (Think of a bad stereotype of a post modern artist whose work consists of a single spoon on top of a cardboard box, with the title "And Thus Spake Schroedinger photonic movement #9")

So why she did this "art piece" in the debate, I'm kinda gobsmacked. Chow seems to be fighting on multiple fronts in this campaign, including herself. That is not beneficial for her IMO.

I don't think it's quite the terrible misstep it's been made out to be, but it seems like a symbol of the problem with her campaign so far. As stunts go, it's not entirely irrelevant and it wasn't a huge waste of everyone's time, but it seems more like a party trick - her impression of Tory's transit plan and his general approach to problems: we'll figure something out, I can get money, use the old-boy network to call in some favours and get it done. What it doesn't do is make things any clearer as to how she would do things. If she's going to outperform DoFo at the very least, she needs to stop talking about the problem with Tory's ideas and show people what she has planned.

Must say: If someone had told me 60 days ago that the humane, conscientious (but not perfect - are you perfect?) individual who goes by the name of Olivia Chow would be in third place and falling I would have replied: "C'mon. Who told you that? Nick Kouvalis? Doug Ford?"

If you had told me 60 days ago that Doug Ford was running for mayor, I would have said "C'mon what you bin smokin'?".

Or it would have been Kouvalis.

If you had told me 60 days ago that Doug Ford was running for mayor, I would have said "C'mon what you bin smokin'?".

Or it would have been Kouvalis.

Kouvalis seems to have predicted that more that 60 days ago (while working for Tory). His prediction this week (while still working for Tory): Tory will be the next mayor and Dougo will make a fool of himself. (Kouvalis: "You can take that to the bank."' "I know my business".)

If, as there seems to be an implication of by Jude, that there is some story coming of Doug's fat fingers in the cookie jar, and he had to drop out, or did something in response that was typically Ford-stupid, making his poll results visibly and quickly plummet, would there be an increase in votes for Chow, do you think, or would Johnboy get them all?

Does everything *look* psychologically tickety-boo over at Doug's house?

Me, I say no. They creep me out. YMMV.

They creep you out because they are creepy. Doug looks like a Nazi John Wayne Gacy, and his family seem like a bunch of Stepford succubi. I wouldn't want to be within a hundred feet of any of them.

If, as there seems to be an implication of by Jude, that there is some story coming of Doug's fat fingers in the cookie jar, and he had to drop out, or did something in response that was typically Ford-stupid, making his poll results visibly and quickly plummet, would there be an increase in votes for Chow, do you think, or would Johnboy get them all?

I don't think there would be much of a benefit for anyone. Ford fans are only interested in a Ford. If one isn't on the ballot they just won't vote. It was always a mistake to think those people could be persuaded and that their votes were up for grabs.

Some Tory votes could go back to Olivia, since they're no longer scared of a Ford winning, but probably not enough. Ford Nation will largely stay home, except for some who will stubbornly come out to mark the ballot for Doug (his name will be on it now, regardless of any drop-out announcement).

Some Tory votes could go back to Olivia, since they're no longer scared of a Ford winning, but probably not enough. Ford Nation will largely stay home, except for some who will stubbornly come out to mark the ballot for Doug (his name will be on it now, regardless of any drop-out announcement).

I dunno, I think there are a lot of strategic voters for Tory who would really rather vote for Chow. It's clear this type of campaign is not her strength and there have been many missteps. In the context of the campaign, she has lost support, to be sure. But running and being mayor are two different things, and I'll bet many people feel, as I do, that she'd be the best mayor out of this pack. If Doug Ford was no longer a threat I think they would return to the Chow fold. As soon as Tory took a solid lead, this became all about numbers and trends---people are that desperate to see the Fords gone.

My bet… If Tory wins, Kouvalis will soooo get moved up and be the campaign strategist for Stephen Harper.

Harper's got a tough road ahead of him next year, and Kouvalis will have played the major role in getting both a racist-Don-Qui-oaf-e *and* the unelectable-Mister-Jones into office with rather big leads.

As slimy as Kouvalis is, politics does seem to be his forte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back