5.2K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 736     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
But here's my question: Any reasonably respectable medical care facility is required to respect their patients' privacy and keep their confidentiallity. That Mt. Sinai would be expected to do so goes without saying. But isn't that a two way street? If the patient in question and his family are misbehaving in the most grotesque fashion, operating in obvious bad faith, being self-serving as hell and dragging the facility and its reputation into their own personal media circus in the process, at some point wouldn't the hospital have to expose all that, purely in self defense?

in short, no. the hospital will always, always tread the line of conservative discretion and patient privacy. from a PR point of view they can say they're walking the high road; from a practical point of view they will go to massive lengths (including wearing a poker face for a LONG time) to protect themselves from litigation.

unless there's a (illegal) leak, expect no juicy info from the hospital.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same. My father had a biopsy two weeks ago, and had the results the next day. I don't think they ever take this long. If he doesn't have cancer, it will very interesting to hear why he has to take up a hospital bed for this length of time.

He probably is going through serious withdrawal (for reals, this time). If that's not enough to keep him in the hospital, being Mayor and not wanting to leave probably is.

Another explanation is they're dragging this out as a distraction because, from what I've heard, the ITO coming out Friday has an interesting new twist.

Is it coming out this week, as in Nordheimer is going to release it on Friday? Or just back in court for more wrangling?

Oh man... so many awesome things can come of Doug in the mayoral race, and the Legend of the Donated Salary finally getting squashed is one of them. Media, you there? Whoever laid this one to rest would have serious bragging rights.

The thing about that is that everyone gets a tax write-off for charitable donations, and obviously the bigger the income and donation, the bigger the write-off. Depending on what Doug makes from Deco, his yearly charitable donation could come close to his Councilors salary, especially if that salary bumps him up to a higher tax bracket. when he says he's donating his salary to charity, what he probably means is that he donates an amount roughly equal to that to charity, because the government makes it beneficial for rich people to do that.

ETA: I don't really know what I'm talking about here, just floating a concept. Anyone around who actually knows something about taxes or accounting that could confirm/debunk this theory?

Last edited:
A hospital won't divulge any information unless asked by the patient. The only way I can see anyone medical saying something is if Ford says "Doc X told me I had cancer", and said Doc X can say "no I didn't" if asked about it.

An update is due tomorrow apparently

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-s-health-update-expected-tomorrow-1.2767908?cmp=rss
We need an insider. Someone from here needs to get admitted and go roaming the halls, cell phone in hand.

The thing about that is that everyone gets a tax write-off for charitable donations, and obviously the bigger the income and donation, the bigger the write-off. Depending on what Doug makes from Deco, his yearly charitable donation could come close to his Councilors salary, especially if that salary bumps him up to a higher tax bracket. when he says he's donating his salary to charity, what he probably means is that he donates an amount roughly equal to that to charity, because the government makes it beneficial for rich people to do that.

Hey, whatever, I don't care what his motives are for doing it, I just want confirmation that he does! Because I seriously f*cking doubt that DOUG FORD donates a significant amount of money to charity every year.

I know people who work at Sinai, but there is no way they would risk looking at the chart. It would have to come from someone who had access to the records as part of the treatment team.

Even if the Ford's were pissing off people in high places at Sinai, it wouldn't be worth the bad publicity from leaking confidential information. It would really have to come from a grunt like a nurse or allied health member.

Hey, whatever, I don't care what his motives are for doing it, I just want confirmation that he does! Because I seriously f*cking doubt that DOUG FORD donates a significant amount of money to charity every year.

I think he probably does, but for the same reason corporations do---it's a write-off. This all depends on how rich Doug really is, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back