189     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 323     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peat's tweet says that this is the Scarborough office.
https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/510824585294782464

Sorry, but you seem to have missed the point, I was making a joke about the pleonasm "temporarily closed until Monday" (the adverb either is otiose, because the time from now until Monday is not forever and so the closure is by definition temporary, or it makes a nonsense of the statement, as it would mean that the office is closed only part of the time between now and Monday).

I noticed that too. I'm sure they're probably getting bombarded by conspiracy theories - particularly Dale - and are probably starting to get fed up with some that have gone overboard. I've always found Dale to be a pretty good judge of the behavior of Brothers Ford. I think the complete change in the tone of his tweets suggests he believes the situation is serious.

I'm not sure what information he would have that the general public doesn't. Would doctors talk to him? No. And if it's the Fords talking (although I don't think they'd talk to Daniel), then I'd hope he's taking it with a grain of salt.

I think they've probably been exposed to a number of conspiracy theories that would drive any rational thinking person crazy and they've probably also been bombarded with a bunch of anti-Ford vitriol. But if I had to guess, I'd say that they are just exhausted of having to verify literally ever single word that spews out of the Fords' mouths.

I gave Daniel a hard time for not calling BS on Doug's "rap sheet" claim and he said that he assumed Doug either misspoke or was referring to some sort of incident report. He knows that he's done excellent reporting on the Fords and it can't always be him who chases these things down, which is fair given that his other work is really great. Having said that, journalists shouldn't be in the habit of telling people to stop questioning a serial liar's story.

Not if it wants to keep its accreditation and the medical staff want to keep their licenses. MSH is keeping Rob for a reason. Maybe we'll find out what it is.

Could be, but he is still the MAYOR OF TORONTO. This is a high profile case and there is no hospital on earth that is going to take anything but the most cautious approach. Again, not saying there isn't a possibility of malignancy, just that he is not ordinary folk like the rest of us. The same rules would not apply.

Last edited:
OK -- here's my proposal for a UT Ice Bucket-ish challenge...

My challenge: any progressive minded UT-er who can afford to make the same commitment -- please do so. We talk a lot here, but we now have the opportunity for direct action. Let's give Andray the tools he needs to slay this dragon once and for all.

No disclaimer needed: the Domise campaign has never heard of me before and won't after this. I just need to feel like I took a stand and put my money where my mouth is during one of the craziest, most critical times in TO politics.

Quick and easy link: https://andraydomise.nationbuilder.com/donate

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Great idea. Thanks for the reminder and the link. Even the chance makes it money well spent. I wish I were a Ford and then I could try to run an illegal donation scam and not worry about the consequences.

Not if it wants to keep its accreditation and the medical staff want to keep their licenses. MSH is keeping Rob for a reason. Maybe we'll find out what it is.

Sometimes it's done to wean patients off drugs & medications that are not compatible with upcoming surgery.

Sometimes it's done to wean patients off drugs & medications that are not compatible with upcoming surgery.

I think you have something there. If he was in mild pain they'd kick him out home (well, they'd do that to the rest of us) until dx/surgery. If he was indeed drinking again (or even taking prescribed benzos for anxiety) he may need to detox. Or, yeah, he's the mayor and it's less trouble to just leave him where he is for a few more days before surgery.

I'm kind of fascinated by Ivor Tossell and Daniel Dale's reactions on twitter to the way people are talking about Ford's medical situation. They almost seem hurt by the way people are talking. I haven't seen much nasty stuff myself, just a lot of people saying they don't believe it and a lot of conspiracy theories that seem to fit.

It's just that it's hard to point out the obvious holes in the story without sounding like an asshole or a Ford Truther. The Fords will always skate so long as people are polite and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Pertinent tweet:
Daniel Dale @ddale8 · 2h
There hasn't been this much conspiracy-theorizing around Toronto since May '13. This time: people who mocked people who did it that time.

Here's what I think, from 2700 km away: The mound of verbiage expelled by Rob, Doug and supporters over their entire political careers, and especially since Crack Vid One became a thing, is mostly toxic lies and bullshit, to a degree unprecedented in Canadian politics. That's made some reasonable people so angry that it's hard for them to believe that some--not much--of the stuff in that giant mound could be true.

To me the simplest explanation for everything is that the Fords are idiots. They're idiots with a lot of energy, close to zero capacity to think about ethics, and insane ideological delusions about how much better they are at running things than anybody else could be. But mostly, they're idiots.

I'm pretty sure Doug thought through the Doug for Mayor, Rob for Ward 2 scenario a long time ago, because even an idiot could foresee the possibility that Rob could screw up in a way (booze, drugs, violence, etc.) that made him not viable for reelection as mayor.

I find it extremely unlikely that some kind of benign tumour was diagnosed in May, or whenever, and at that point some sort of scheme was cooked up about how Rob could fake much-worse-than-before abdominal pain two days before the deadline for getting names on or off ballots, if it looked like he was certain to lose the mayoral race. It's even more unlikely that a whole bunch of health care people could either be innocent dupes or career-riskingly corrupt.

It just seems way more likely to me that Doug, Mom and Rob (and whoever else influences decisions) are making things up in reaction to events that they mostly don't control.

Last edited:
I'm kind of fascinated by Ivor Tossell and Daniel Dale's reactions on twitter to the way people are talking about Ford's medical situation. They almost seem hurt by the way people are talking. I haven't seen much nasty stuff myself, just a lot of people saying they don't believe it and a lot of conspiracy theories that seem to fit.

If Ford's really seriously sick and they act like he's lying about it, they will look like monsters.
If it turns out that the Fords lied about this, they are the ones who will look like monsters. Lying about crack is nothing -- every crack user is lying to someone. Every alcoholic is lying about how much s/he drinks and how often, and they're lying to loved ones, not just random people. But faking illness or trying to use it for gain would be much worse.

If Ford's really seriously sick and they act like he's lying about it, they will look like monsters.
If it turns out that the Fords lied about this, they are the ones who will look like monsters. Lying about crack is nothing -- every crack user is lying to someone. Every alcoholic is lying about how much s/he drinks and how often, and they're lying to loved ones, not just random people. But faking illness or trying to use it for gain would be much worse.

No kidding, and Warmington is helping them along if this turns out to be a benign cyst/tumour. While Ford is still in hospital and maybe sedated/tanked on pain meds, publishing this stuff about "God wanting him in another place" (Ward 2?) and "it doesn't look good" is melodrama for sales/votes. While a tumour (of any kind) may mean a long recovery (depending on what structures it's attached to etc), to be invoking death-bed type statements when things may turn out to be less grave, will backfire.

Last edited:
I think you have something there. If he was in mild pain they'd kick him out home (well, they'd do that to the rest of us) until dx/surgery. If he was indeed drinking again (or even taking prescribed benzos for anxiety) he may need to detox. Or, yeah, he's the mayor and it's less trouble to just leave him where he is for a few more days before surgery.

I have no doubt that he was on something, even from the first week he was back. Abuse of prescription medication is more prolific than of illegal drugs if I remember correctly.

Agreed! This doesn't end well either way for them as far as I am concerned.

and Warmington is helping them along if this turns out to be a benign cyst/tumour.

I can only hope that tool's days at a Sun employee are numbered.

Question: What will happen if the famous tumour is indeed benign? It might be a rough recovery if it's attached to any organs etc, but, as Metroman posted, will they hide the less-than-deathly diagnosis to keep support up?

I think that like others have said, Mount Sinai is more concerned with being a world renowned hospital than pandering to the Ford family. They will release whatever the diagnosis is and tell the full truth.

I think that like others have said, Mount Sinai is more concerned with being a world renowned hospital than pandering to the Ford family. They will release whatever the diagnosis is and tell the full truth.

If they continue to have consent to discuss patient condition with the media. Consent can be withdrawn at any time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back