142     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 507     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 611     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to recall some news article linked to in this thread (from the G&M maybe?) stating that it is very difficult to get a stay of a ruling pending an appeal. I don't recall any explanation as to why, but it increases the odds of this being resolved before the next municipal elections.

Given that council is learning to flex their muscles in our current leadership vacuum, do you think that will make it difficult for the next mayor (however competent) to bring council together and achieve consensus on major issues?

MetroMan:

Except for the cost of a new election, and a legitimate question of just how can you cobber together a campaign, much less a platform given the lack of party politics at the municipal level.

AoD

An appeal isn't guaranteed though, it has to be proven that something occurred during the trial which should not have, and that the case should be heard by a higher court. Considering how straight forward this case is, along with its sentencing outline, I don't think Ford will get one even if he applies for one.

Given that council is learning to flex their muscles in our current leadership vacuum, do you think that will make it difficult for the next mayor (however competent) to bring council together and achieve consensus on major issues?

Huh:confused:, who to say that even half of these city councillors get voted back

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

1.tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
2.fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
3.fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
4.recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill

Rob Ford is a prime example.

There are a few other people I could name, too.

There are a few other people I could name, too.

I see that happening where the top executives of some big companies or government departments get excessive bonuses, but the employees who actually do the work get little or no bonuses or even recognition. They may also want their underlings to do the same work for even less.

When we get a Mayor that can work with Councillors and is willing to compromise, you'll find council working with the Mayor again. Not this Mayor though. All hope is lost for Rob Ford.

Ford is done as Mayor whether he wins or loses this case.

Look at it this way: even a fabled "incompetent" such as Mel Lastman could do it. (Note: I put "incompetent" in quotes. Rob Ford doesn't benefit from said quotes.)

When we get a Mayor that can work with Councillors and is willing to compromise, you'll find council working with the Mayor again. Not this Mayor though. All hope is lost for Rob Ford.

Ford is done as Mayor whether he wins or loses this case.

If a Mammoliti type runs for and is elected Mayor (doubtful) I'd say no. A smart, respected centrist who may lean a bit to the left or right I think would be embraced by most.

DT, Ford only gets one appeal. A panel of 3 judges in a divisional court will take on the appeal. They'll review Hackland's decision and confer amongst the three of them to reach a verdict that will be final.

MM, I reiterate my previous comments that I highly doubt the appeals process is limited to the divisional court. Do you have it on good authority that the divisional court's verdict on the appeal cannot be appealed further? If so, I would be very interested in that authority, and I suspect that the mere existence of any such purported limitation on appeal rights would, itself, be subject to appeal.

Edit: If you're relying on s. 11(1) ("An appeal lies from any order made under section 10 to the Divisional Court in accordance with the rules of court.") that does not displace a party's right to appeal a decision of the Divisional Court. If there's some other authority for your assertion that no appeals beyond the Divisional Court are possible, please advise.

Last edited:
^ I was told this by a lawyer. I'm not one myself so if somebody could point out otherwise, I welcome the facts.

The facts as I know them are that the Courts of Justice Act, section 6, gives the court of appeal plenary jurisdiction over judicial processes in Ontario. The CofA is not only mandated to hear leave to appeal applications from decisions made in all lower courts (e.g. Divisional court, superior Court of justice), but it has authority to take control of ongoing proceedings on issues of law before a decision is rendered by a lower court. I don't see anything in the municipal conflict of interest act that overrides the CofA's role as a necessary stopping point on the way to the SCC.

EDIT: If anything, I can see this going straight to the CofA and bypassing Div. Ct. altogether.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back