1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irony and satire are lost on most people, especially at a protest. They'll just stare at you then look at each other quizzically and ask "what are they protesting? I don't get it." Sweet Lou's suggestions are the way to go; simple, concise messages. No circus. If this event is Frodfest for those already against the Fords, then that would be fine. But that's just preaching to the converted. If you're hoping to impact any soft/low-info voters' way of thinking, leave the theatrics out of it.

Keep it simple: this guy isn't fit to be mayor -- the police are investigating him, and while he hasn't been arrested, they haven't closed the investigation either. Why? And why doesn't he talk to them and get it cleared up? This guy isn't fit to be mayor because he shows up for work whenever he wants, refuses to tell people what he's doing while we are paying him, etc. He's been banned from coaching high school kids in two different school boards. He uses his position as mayor to benefit his family business.

And so on.

Pretty much this. Simple to the point of FN comprehension. RobFordFacts.ca has already done TONS of heavy-lifting on this. Just needs to be distilled to 7-10 word un-clever statements. RFMG, in their steadfast persistance, have great documentation on the comings and goings, ins and outs, etc. Humour is amply provided by the numerous standout twitter parodies oft-quoted here. RobFordWorkWatch also provides ample fodder documenting the aimless meanderings of the chief magistrate. It just has to be boiled down and put together in a manner that is short, sharp and shocking *to most reasonable people*.

Shirtless tub-thumping and clever art displays of ironic civic displacement ain't gonna make nobody care. Plain language, however, often does. 2c.

shouldn't have agreed to attend them in the first place, I suppose, but... it is ridiculous.

pretty much every weekday, and two on the same day many times? I question the value to voters. Most of the time, the questions have been given to the campaigns ahead of time, so they can prep the answers, which basically just means regurgitating platform info already posted on their website, no? Questions come from the orgs hosting it, many people here want to go to the debates and shout questions at Ford but I don't think it works that way.

I do think that there are too many of them. Silverstein could have chosen better words though and I hope it hurts them.

I do think that there are too many of them. Silverstein could have chosen better words though and I hope it hurts them.

It does not change the fact that the fat clown was ready to debate anyone, anytime. He was gagging for it. Completely salivating...remember?

Indeed. He has nothing to offer but rhetoric, misleading facts and lies. And he's scared. The press just needs to ignore him now. But this will not happen.

Indeed. He has nothing to offer but rhetoric, misleading facts and lies. And he's scared. The press just needs to ignore him now. But this will not happen.

Yes, when he held that fundraiser at his mom's place, the media should have just ignored it.

I wonder how many people who got a bobblehead today could actually vote in the election.

And if he's scared, still using, stressed out (cause I'm a busy bee and I'd be exhausted), and facing more chances to look stupid, we may be seeing a perfect storm.

RoFo doesn't want to do a debate. Staff have to cover. DoFo and DiFo pressure him to grow the fuck up. (I bet today was at her house as a concession for the missing debates this week from a PR perspective)

I think DiFo is taking the reigns more castrating Do. Shit rolls downhill.

Maybe breakdown by the weekend

Unsubstantiated, of course, but here's a comment on the Globe site from a WayneC1:

"Took a couple of LCBO bags into the house on Thurs night......gotta be in the neighbourhood to see the real Ford."

is that anybody here?!

I've heard a few stories twice removed from neighbours of the Fords about the late night police, drunk driving, screaming matches etc... they aren't too pleased with them.
Neither are they pleased with the kids who apparently real brat/bullies at school - whodathunkit. I hope once this mess is all over they get some good guidance from somebody outside of the Ford circle.

Last edited:
Irony and satire are lost on most people, especially at a protest. They'll just stare at you then look at each other quizzically and ask "what are they protesting? I don't get it." Sweet Lou's suggestions are the way to go; simple, concise messages. No circus. If this event is Frodfest for those already against the Fords, then that would be fine. But that's just preaching to the converted. If you're hoping to impact any soft/low-info voters' way of thinking, leave the theatrics out of it.

Keep it simple: this guy isn't fit to be mayor -- the police are investigating him, and while he hasn't been arrested, they haven't closed the investigation either. Why? And why doesn't he talk to them and get it cleared up? This guy isn't fit to be mayor obecause he shows up for work whenever he wants, refuses to tell people what he's doing while we are paying him, etc. He's been banned from coaching high school kids in two different school boards. He uses his position as mayor to benefit his family business.And so on.
Yep. Keep it simple, keep it true. No need to exaggerate about MINO Frod, the simple facts is outlandish enough.

Pretty much this. Simple to the point of FN comprehension. RobFordFacts.ca has already done TONS of heavy-lifting on this. Just needs to be distilled to 7-10 word un-clever statements. RFMG, in their steadfast persistance, have great documentation on the comings and goings, ins and outs, etc. Humour is amply provided by the numerous standout twitter parodies oft-quoted here.
RobFordWorkWatch also provides ample fodder documenting the aimless meanderings of the chief magistrate. It just has to be boiled down and put together in a manner that is short, sharp and shocking *to most reasonable people*.

Shirtless tub-thumping and clever art displays of ironic civic displacement ain't gonna make nobody care.
Plain language, however, often does. 2c.

Thanks for your input all well thought out, and had the ring of experience. I was thinking of it as a support for those that are there regularly. A energizing of the troops for the final lap. Theatrical yes but from where im sitting those still supporting ford are wilfully blind and not much I do willnalter that

I didn't see this posted upthread (apologies if I'm wrong) but thought the group might find this interesting. Nothing definitive, but sure looks like old habits.

https://twitter.com/TO_Resident/status/506635720782782464

ETA: I can't guarantee the pic is from tonight. And is that sweat on his shirt or just a trick of the camera? Could be the rain, I suppose. But the other guys look fairly dry.

Last edited:
Addendum ( ran of of text room I think) so the point for me was to throw a day of support behind the resident workers there and highlight fords' foibles. His legacy is so prolific. I dont think we are going to change any fordian minds. Our best hopes rest on previously politically disengaged people and young people just becoming eligible to vote. So maybe some music and theatrics wouldn't be out of place for one day. I propose it runs into evening so day workers can come. We could use the time to meet one another and strategize the last month. I feel there is a pent up desire amongst the previously indifferent to DO something, anything, to fight the fords. This is where they can engage. A clearing house of interested parties. With various ways of engaging the newly politically aware.why cant it be fun.More youth get thier news from the daily show.

shouldn't have agreed to attend them in the first place, I suppose,.

Questions come from the orgs hosting it, many people here want to go to the debates and shout questions at Ford but I don't think it works that way.

The one on Sept 4 hosted by the Globe states it will be posing Globe readers questions. (Of course chosenby the host ) but it does seem that some events have some public input. I a vow this thread has an unparalleled brain trust of fordisms.We could craft a list of say 5 salient questions and send them to all the organizing bodies. Cant hurt, might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back