38     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 498     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 600     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most opportunities for that sort of thing were demolished a long time ago. A classical city Toronto is not.

There are still opportunities to upgrade existing fountains. For example the fountain in David Pecaut Square and the fountain in Berczy Park have very restrained and utilitarian designs but the space and the plumbing is there to upgrade them into something more grandiose if the city was ever so inclined. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing part of Berczy Park turned into a large public square. It would be quite the meeting place.

I wonder if the Mayor's trade mission to Chicago will also touch on the issue of mass shootings, which we've had in Toronto recently and which Chicago has had in horrific numbers. Chicago Tribune: 19 people shot in overnight shootings across Chicago ("Nineteen people were shot across the South and West sides from Thursday evening through early Friday morning -- 13 of them wounded over a 30-minute period, authorities say.")

NYC has also had a shooting this morning outside the Empire State Building with 2 dead and several injured.

I agree with many of Ford's policies however to draw and parallels between Ford supporters and people like the moron in the link you posted is unfair. Many educated, dedicated and hard working Torontonians voted for Ford and the venom and name calling that the anti-Ford members on this board spew is very disappointing.

I agree with many of Ford's policies however to draw and parallels between Ford supporters and people like the moron in the link you posted is unfair. Many educated, dedicated and hard working Torontonians voted for Ford and the venom and name calling that the anti-Ford members on this board spew is very disappointing.

Didn't he invite someone to his taking over as mayor who just went on rants about 'pinkos that ride bikes'?

All of Ford's comments regarding streetcars during the mayoral campaign were on par with the stuff Kass is saying. Have you taken the 510 Spadina lately? Please do, it's a bright example of what happens when you have buses instead of grade-separated streetcars in congested routes. Spadina has the same amount of lanes it had before the streetcar ROW was added (minus parking), so it's actually a very good comparison to see what traffic would be like if instead of investing in LRT we had stuck to buses. I walk faster than the buses at rush hour. Last week I actually passed 5 buses stuck in traffic as I walked from Queen to Bremner and beat all 5 of them there: do you realise how outrageous that is?

I know that many dedicated and hard working Torontonians voted for Ford. Haven't personally met any Ford supporters who are educated on the issues at hand, though.

Mayor Ford to testify in court.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is set to testify in court on Sept. 5 over allegations he violated conflict of interest rules in a case that could ultimately see him removed from office.

Ford is facing allegations he violated conflict of interest rules by participating in a council vote that absolved his need to pay back more than $3,000 in donations collected for his private football charity.

The application from Toronto resident Paul Magder claims that the mayor should be forced to lose his seat on council and be disqualified from running for office for up to seven years, as a result of Ford’s alleged breach of the act.

Clayton Ruby, the lawyer who is representing Magder, said in a Friday news release that Regional Senior Justice Charles T. Hackland informed all involved parties that "Mayor Ford would testify and be cross-examined in open court on the first day of the hearing."

In August 2010, city council found that Ford, who was then a city councillor running for mayor, had violated the Code of Conduct for Members of Council while soliciting funds for his private football charity.

He was ordered to pay back $3,150 to corporate and lobbyist donors from whom he had collected money, and also to provide proof to the city’s integrity commissioner that he had done so.

But Integrity Commissioner Janet Leiper informed council in January of this year that Ford had still "not provided proof of compliance" on the donations matter.

Eight days later, city council members — including Ford himself — voted 22-12 to rescind the decision made in 2010 and to take no further action.

Last edited:
Are they selling seats? He gets pretty easily rattled when forced to go off his script. And this won't be like a media scrum where he can just call the questions ridiculous and then leave.

In August 2010, city council found that Ford, who was then a city councillor running for mayor, had violated the Code of Conduct for Members of Council while soliciting funds for his private football charity.

He was ordered to pay back $3,150 to corporate and lobbyist donors from whom he had collected money, and also to provide proof to the city’s integrity commissioner that he had done so.

But Integrity Commissioner Janet Leiper informed council in January of this year that Ford had still "not provided proof of compliance" on the donations matter.

Eight days later, city council members — including Ford himself — voted 22-12 to rescind the decision made in 2010 and to take no further action.

Not that I really care....but this strikes me as a bit of an opportunistic "gotcha" moment. Like someone(s) has been waiting for him to make a technical slip up. He raised a few thousand bucks, inappropriately, for a charity...is anyone suggesting that he got that money himself or he did something wrong with it.....then there was a vote in council that passed by 10 votes....and because he was one of those 10....someone sues him to remove him from office?

Set aside (if that is possible) personal opinions of Rob Ford....is that how we want any democratic insititution to be run? Is there not a city clerk that should have been, you know, watching the rules and, perhaps, saying "Mr. Ford, you need to abstain from this vote"? Is that not the person we should be really looking at with regards to continued employment?

Is there not a city clerk that should have been, you know, watching the rules and, perhaps, saying "Mr. Ford, you need to abstain from this vote"? Is that not the person we should be really looking at with regards to continued employment?

That's right, throw the civil servent under the bus while the overpaid politician, who is supposed to know better, get's a hug.
That's pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back