128     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 505     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 609     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find Toronto lacks a nice fountain....i'm sure if anyone else proposed this the board would be fawning over the idea, i think at this point all the Ford haters on this board would jump on him for anything he says or does.

Even if Ford were to get behind a good idea there is ample evidence that shows he would implement it badly.

Even if Ford were to get behind a good idea there is ample evidence that shows he would implement it badly.

Metaphorically speaking...

painting-fresco_2316720b.jpg

Miscreant:

When all that one need to do is show up at any event for 5 minutes (some of which occurs right outside the City Hall) - the excuse that one is "too busy" just doesn't float. This new revelation just reinforces what we already know.

AoD

The art installation/fountain/splash pad in Millennium Park in Chicago is fantastic - there are always loads of people enjoying it. I would welcome a similar addition to Toronto.

That being said, don't we already have many fountains (such as on University Ave) where its been deemed too expensive to turn them on? Maybe we should solve that problem before we think about adding new ones that will ultimately sit dry.

They have already built a water play feature into Nathan Phillips Square. It just hasn't been turned on yet. Does Ford not know about it?

As AoD indicates, it confirms our suspicions as to what he's all about, no real surprises there.
Now what I'd really like to know is if the taxpayers are paying for his bumbling trip out to Calgary and Edmonton to watch football and meet with the Mayors who were out of town. Did he have formal agendas? Why didn't his staff arrange meetings with the city leaders in advance?
My roommate returned from a week-long visit to see his father and family in New Brunswick. He told me that as he made the rounds visiting family there were plenty of laughs and comments about Toronto's Mayor and he got lots of questions about Ford and how inept he appears to them. He was surprised and eventually embarrassed that they knew so much about his antics out there. So it appears Toronto is not hated so much anymore, we've now evolved into the running joke of the country.

They have already built a water play feature into Nathan Phillips Square. It just hasn't been turned on yet. Does Ford not know about it?

There are two more new fountains Ford doesn't know about down at the ("greatest boondoggle this city has ever seen") WT - waterfront. One at at Sherbourne Commons and one at Sugar Beach.

Last edited:
What we could use is a traditional fountain, that is a work of art and not just spraying jets. I'm talking about something like Buckingham Fountain, actually created by an artist. (not a damned splash pad)

The Four Seasons is getting one.
Who doesn't love fountains or water features, Toronto used to have so many of them in public areas. As the years and decades rolled on bit by bit they disappeared, seemingly a victim of expensive maintenance or they simply became outdated, perhaps out of fashion. The park in behind me used to have one (albeit not a very good one) until just a few years ago until they disconnected, bulldozed and sodded over top of it. Maybe Ford will be inspired and find a new pet project to get all obsessed over that's more realistic than building subways-subways-subways with no money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back