1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 591     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
From The Star, at this link:

Rob Ford: The jobless don’t need transit

Rob Ford suggested people who don’t have jobs don’t need transit to get around.

“Every day people come to me and say, ‘Rob, what’s the number one issue?’ And I say, ‘It’s the economy. It’s jobs. It’s property taxes. It’s transit.’ But folks, it’s the economy and jobs. Because if you haven’t got a job, you won’t need transit,†Toronto’s mayor said Tuesday during a news conference.

“If you cannot leave your house to go to or look for a job, what’s the sense of having transit?†Ford said at his Etobicoke campaign headquarters, where he gathered reporters to talk about his commitment to keeping taxes low.

Unmentioned were the thousands of students, seniors and disabled Torontonians who use transit to get around every day.

Ford said jobs are one of the most pressing issues facing the city, but did not say how he planned to combat rising unemployment rates, which have increased during his four years as mayor.

Toronto’s monthly seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 9.8 per cent in July, up from 9.4 per cent when Ford took office.

Ford has yet not released a plan on jobs or other economic issues. His four top opponents have all released economic proposals.

Ford then turned his attention to transit and subways, saying he wants to build two more on Sheppard and Finch. He provided no real funding plan as he continued with his ongoing opposition to the above-ground LRT that is already being built along Eglinton Ave. with council approval. Ford wants the entire line built underground, which would cost $1.4 billion more.

Ford also continued to falsely claim he has saved taxpayers $1 billion. The city manager said in April that claim is “misleading.â€

“Today, the city of Toronto, just like I said before, is doing more with less. Not too many governments can say that. Matter of fact, no governments can say that,†Ford said.

This from someone who's only "real" job was at the family business. He got it even though Rob never graduated from university. He only got to be Councillor or Mayor was because his family business.

Finally someone mentions the fact that this lot claim to be successful businessmen! When was the last time anyone, anywhere said they were good at their jobs or competent in running their father's business? And that Ford nation park event lots of people wearing Ford Nation t-shirts - you think they PAID for those t-shirts? Hell NO. Daddy has a business that can run that stuff up real quick without too much fuss. And as for "mayor" ford CONSTANTLY referring to the mysterious "taxpayers" and how they are a fragile breed who need constant protection, this is part of his divide and conquer mentality. I can't believe we have 11 more weeks of this.

This is something I never expected to happen, but the Sun is being harsher on Ford than CP2Ford, who deliberately altered what he said to make it look better.

Trees are a prime source of paper. What gets printed on paper? Subpoenas. Put the dots together.

Then again, paper's handy for when you want to fake a bomb threat, so we need some trees, I guess. Also for cups at Timmies. But not trees that just stand around in parks wasting money.

love it!!:)

So now it appears the context of Rob's statements about not needing transit if you don't have a job is that there's no point in expanding transit if there aren't more people being employed who will need that transit. The old bums-on-seats paradigm.

Which is interesting, since Rob Ford probably knows and cares even less about job creation than he does about building transit.

So now it appears the context of Rob's statements about not needing transit if you don't have a job is that there's no point in expanding transit if there aren't more people being employed who will need that transit. The old bums-on-seats paradigm.

Which is interesting, since Rob Ford probably knows and cares even less about job creation than he does about building transit.

I find it interesting that he's even talking about jobs, since all he usually does is brag about a booming city and a fictional jobless rate.

I find it interesting that he's even talking about jobs, since all he usually does is brag about a booming city and a fictional jobless rate.

Tune in tomorrow; when Mayor Meatloaf pranks the city with the old banana in the tailpipe trick....

Thanks Jennifer Pagliaro and the Star, for presenting the insanity of Ford's speech today without any sugar-coating or buffing up of the rough parts. She explicitly asserted that the $1 billion in savings meme is false, pointed out that Ford has *no* economic plan, and pointed out that that all of Ford's recent off-the-cuff transit building schemes have no funding plans whatsoever.

As for Ford, his statements read like the rantings of someone who's totally lost the plot.

~~~

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/08/12/rob_ford_the_jobless_dont_need_transit.html
I love this girl. She's like Daniel Dale but way more blunt.

So here's what I wonder, not being a lawyer and all:

Doesn't the plaintiff in a civil action regarding defamation by slander have to prove that some sort of monetary 'injury' was sustained? Funny thing, Chief lost his job. Doug claimed the 'subpoena leak' was some sort of 'payback' for that occurrence. Will this complicate Doug's defence? Because...

As I understand it, of the five possible defences (See #4 of 'Defences') Doug has, the only one possibly open to him is 'fair comment', and of that he can only satisfy one pillar, i.e., opinion. On which he has been leaning like a drunk on a lampost throughout his public utterances.

So, without an abject apology, will he get his ass handed to him? And, even with an apology that satisfies Blair's conditions, can Blair just say 'Fuck it. Take that smarmy asshole down'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back