760     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 692     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I meant the UK version as more similar to the Dutch version - Eye-jax.. Silent j.

If we're talking about the Amsterdam soccer team, then the j isn't silent, it represents a 'y' sound, so 'eye-ax' (English approximation) or 'aa-yuks'.

The cleaning product is always Ay-jax - ay as in ay, bee, cee, that is.

If we're talking about the Amsterdam soccer team, then the j isn't silent, it represents a 'y' sound, so 'eye-ax' (English approximation) or 'aa-yuks'.

The cleaning product is always Ay-jax - ay as in ay, bee, cee, that is.

As a (British) kid I always wondered why they named a football team after a cleaning product.

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 29s
"You're never going to catch me at the liquor store. You're never going to catch me doing anything illegal...those days are gone," Ford says

Doesn't rule out prescription drugs!

And of course the relevant part of that quote is ``You`re never going to catch me.``

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 29s
"You're never going to catch me at the liquor store. You're never going to catch me doing anything illegal...those days are gone," Ford says

Doesn't rule out prescription drugs!

I'm not fluent on it, but I'm starting to pick up the basics on how to speak the Fordish language. It's both simple and tricky. Simple part is the real message is usually not in the complete sentence or phrase, but half of it.
So the first one really reads to me at least, "You're never going to catch me..", ignore the second half because the focus is on the first half. The tricky part is guessing which half the real message is located. It's not consistent if the real message is in the first half or second half. Eg: "something something not drunk something....-At the ACC-" this case the focus is on the second half of the sentence.

It's a fascinating dialect, if not a complete language.

Please forgive me complete Luddite. Is there any way to quickly find the original post after a repost? I.e. some one quoted Albert h. Wagstaff today and I liked it so I want to see the original context of the post. Also can I see somebody's total post history if I find them clever?

If you click on the poster ID you'll see an option to view the forum posts, I'm not sure if they go back to the beginning or back to a certain time.

I think my "CP-Twenty-Ford, unofficial Ford Tarnation Station" was a fluke yesterday.

There are posters on this thread way sharper than me!

Please forgive me complete Luddite. Is there any way to quickly find the original post after a repost? I.e. some one quoted Albert h. Wagstaff today and I liked it so I want to see the original context of the post. Also can I see somebody's total post history if I find them clever?

Click the little blue box with the arrows beside the 'originally posted by _____' at the top of quoted piece.

I'm not fluent on it, but I'm starting to pick up the basics on how to speak the Fordish language. It's both simple and tricky. Simple part is the real message is usually not in the complete sentence or phrase, but half of it.
So the first one really reads to me at least, "You're never going to catch me..", ignore the second half because the focus is on the first half. The tricky part is guessing which half the real message is located. It's not consistent if the real message is in the first half or second half. Eg: "something something not drunk something....-At the ACC-" this case the focus is on the second half of the sentence.

It's a fascinating dialect, if not a complete language.

:D Even so.

From Wiktionary (apologies, purists - 'tis handy, and has this correct, I believe): " jargon (countable and uncountable, plural jargons)

(uncountable) A technical terminology unique to a particular subject.
(countable) Language characteristic of a particular group.  [quotations ▼]
(uncountable) Speech or language that is incomprehensible or unintelligible; gibberish.
 [quotations ▼]

Synonyms[edit]
(language characteristic of a group): argot, cant, intalk"

The jargon of the Fordish tribe is a series of repetitive slogans and cant terms designed to hypnotize the unquestioning. The specifics of the Fordish reponses in any interview are masterpieces of vernacular double-talk, in their way...exactly as you have described. "Both simple and tricky" - well noted. :)

King = DRL
Queen = the abandoned streetcar tunnel

His reference to King was "years ago" and then "but Councillors decided to go with Streetcars".

Truth is Queen was abandoned due to the cost of the Yonge line being built iirc. Mayor doesn't even know his own city's history.

His reference to King was "years ago" and then "but Councillors decided to go with Streetcars".

Truth is Queen was abandoned due to the cost of the Yonge line being built iirc. Mayor doesn't even know his own city's history.

*puzzled* Is he going back all the way to the mothballed Lower Queen subway station?

ETA: I had forgotten that was intended to be a streetcar subway, not subway trains.

Last edited:
The jargon of the Fordish tribe is a series of repetitive slogans and cant terms designed to hypnotize the unquestioning. The specifics of the Fordish reponses in any interview are masterpieces of vernacular double-talk,

Yep. It would be easy if speaking Fordish means you just lie 100% of the time. But it isn't. It can vary anywhere from 50/50, to 99/1 %. It gets into a retro vaudeville act (The Ford Follies) when Fordish is being spoken by two performers (at once or in turns) like the Brothers Ford.

Years ago, as in 1966? That's when they talked about dropping all the streetcars in the system by 1980, and it wasn't Council but the TTC board that made the call to keep them after Streetcars for Toronto convinced them to in the early 1970's. Two Councillors were in that organization however.

As for the Queen subway, that was abandoned in favour of the Bloor Danforth line, and it was never actually supposed to be underground, it was an open cut with right of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back