753     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 908     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 634     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a video that just shows the general atmosphere of a Ford Fest. I did not see any protesters or drama, unfortunately. All I saw were long lines for everything and a very boring event. All people were interested in was the free hamburgers and posing for a pic with their idol. Nobody seemed to be interested in the band and very few kids even wanted to go into the bouncy castle. I don't know why people even come here. Right after they ate their free crap burger, which many threw in the garbage, after a few bites, they left. I still can't believe people will stand in line for 2 or more hours, for a very thin hamburger. Insane!

I have to say, this whole event and the hostile vibe, just made me sick. I didn't feel comfortable at all. I just had the feeling that violence or hostility could happen at any time. Everyone seemed to be unhappy and disgruntled. The conversations and comments you hear are just so overwhelmingly negative. It really is a joyless event, other than the arrival of the mayor, which seemed to really excite these people.

Y'know, here's a question that hasn't been posited: I wonder how many who went there in good faith came out with "second thoughts"? i.e. Ford Fests either not being what they used to be, or not what they're cracked up to be. (And this is independent of the violence per se--at least, relatively so.)

That is, I think a lot of them came to wonder *themselves* why they even came here. And the discarded burgers + the sparse attention paid to the band + bouncy castle says it all, on its own, independent of any homophobic-or-whatever "incidents".

A lot of us are casually assuming that attendees are "finite entities", i.e. they go in positive, they leave positive. Yet...people don't work that way. They might go see a newly-opening blockbuster movie that promises to be thrilling--and walk out when it turns out to be a turkey; or else, endure it only to spread the negative word of mouth thereafter.

In this case, it's all camoflauged by its being a one-time event, and in an amorphous context where it's difficult to gauge "audience patterns" (as opposed to the closed environment of a theatre or cinema or arena). And I suppose a lot of those who *did* come with kids felt obligated to, well, "endure it" lest the kids get upset--but in the end, the sheer summer-day drudge of it all leaving even the kids feeling too icky for a bouncing castle or whatever. And the accumulated drear even leading them all to question the "excitement" of meeting the Mayor--"is that it?"

In fact, I started wondering about this last year after the Ford Fest "officially" became too big for the Ford homestead to handle--and more particularly with the Centennial Park event, whether this was all getting dangerously overextended (aided by the geographic psychology of Thomson Park having more hills and dales and gullies, whereas Centennial is all "big sky"). And Centennial Park had better carny rides--what kind of rides did Thomson Park have last year? If there were carny rides last year, then surely, families would have been disappointed this year.

Something nobody has noted (yet which was advertised on the way into the park!): *next* weekend, Thomson Park is hosting a Rib Fest--and I'll betcha that pound for pound, that'd be a more "satisfying" event for the attendees. Whereas with Ford Fest, the only real satisfaction left is tabloid.

And this guy is a vegetarian? What the Hell is he eating?!

I can easily pack away 4000 calories a day with avocados, olive oil, coconut milk, cashews/nuts, and similar. I don't know what Doug eats, but many veggies are just as energy dense as butter.

Last edited:
weird.... i never knew there was such a "divide" (for lack of a better term) when it comes to this neighbourhood's name. i've basically only ever heard it called boystown, until today... and i've lived in toronto my entire life. is it a 'depends what age you are' kinda thing?

For as long as I can remember Boystown was the slang used to refer to the area around the Y (way back - it was named Boystown because of the younger sex workers who patrolled this area). The Village has always been properly referred to as The Village.

Okay, I am dying laughing at the current tags. Chronical problemicals made me laugh out loud! I know "pissibly" has been there a while, but when was it said and by whom?

The one that has become a "reporter", Kayla I think, has Dougie's Lon Chaney visage with the dead eyes and creepy smile.

And Kyla "The Lean Queen", the youngest, actually *hasn't* inherited the Ford "husky gene" (though facially, she's definitely recognizably DoFo's spawn)--she's slighter (presumably like her mother), which makes her muscle-up efforts look rather grotesque...

Except that it still wasn't "violent enough". Remember that keyword I offered as to what to prepare for: "Altamont". This was kid-stuff violence by comparison, nothing involving ambulances etc...and that's a big part of why the media skirted around it. But all the same, it's definitely an ominous tip of the iceberg.

Sad to say, what it'll *really* take to make people and the media notice is--as with Altamont--*worse* violence. Like, grievous-injury-or-death type violence.

And maybe, and this is the fatalist in me talking: we should accept that likelihood, perhaps as a shell-shocking "necessary evil". Or even run the risk of provoking it. Unfortunately, we're by and large so inherently non-violent by nature, being "peaceful Canadians" and all, we can't even fathom such a thing happening, much less triggering such a thing. But given these kinds of forces, it may be all uncontrollable--it'd just be a daunting lot of personal investment expended for any one individual to cross the "provocation line" (Yet, it was that willingness to cross a de facto "provocation line" that led generations of Canadians to go to war, putting their lives on the line, etc.)

A useful metaphor that's dawned on me: the willingness to take an "Archie Andrews" bullet.

archie-dies-at-end-of-life-with-archie-series.jpeg

Rob Ford apologizes after LGBT attendees harassed at Ford Fest

The mayor’s brother apologized for the incident Friday.

Speaking live on CP24 from the Taste of Toronto event Saturday evening, the mayor said he also regrets the incident.

“I apologize too. I didn’t personally see it. I was in the tent, but it’s terrible that things like that happen. I apologize and we have to move on,” Ford told CP24.

Ford also said the event “was the best Ford Fest we’ve ever had” and thanked his supporters for coming out.

http://www.cp24.com/news/2014-munic...gbt-attendees-harassed-at-ford-fest-1.1933871

I wouldn't be surprised if the horse and those cheap burgers shared a good deal of DNA.

Incidentally, was there some guy at the rally playing with snakes?

They hassle Sarah Thomson for riding a beautiful horse, but not the snake charmer? WTF?!

Regarding RoFo's speech to the adoring masses, why did I think of Mussolini on the balcony?

Also, anyone think it odd that Ma Ford showed up, but not the mayor's wife? I guess they need a sitter for the kids. Maybe Aunt Kathy? No, probably not.

They hassle Sarah Thomson for riding a beautiful horse, but not the snake charmer? WTF?!

Because snakes and weasels belong in a zoo. White horses should not be ridden, if you're going to ride, ride a white pony.

Regarding RoFo's speech to the adoring masses, why did I think of Mussolini on the balcony?

That's racist against balconies.

I can easily pack away 4000 calories a day with avocados, olive oil, coconut milk, cashews/nuts, and similar. I don't know what Doug eats, but many veggies are just as energy dense as butter.

Doug could be filling up on avocados and nuts, but I'm not feeling it.

Also, anyone think it odd that Ma Ford showed up, but not the mayor's wife? I guess they need a sitter for the kids. Maybe Aunt Kathy? No, probably not.

Renata was there. I saw 2 different tweets saying so, including this guy's:
https://twitter.com/RossMcleanSec/status/492810710284390400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back