3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 642     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
They feel proud of their Ford Nation but also beleagured and attacked and ridiculed by media and protestors. Combine this with the fact that most of them are low-income members of visible minorities. Is there any wonder they think claims about Ford's racism are bogus and hypocritical, coming as they do from the media, other politicians and protestors who mock Ford Nation? Ford loves them, invites them, talks with them and stands up for them (at least verbally). He is their friend, hero, idol.

None of the other candidates come close to developing the rapport that Ford does. They patronize. People know the difference.

Every critics and serious opponents of the Fords should read and try to comprehend the above paragraph. The extreme nutbars are usually a lost cause. It's the soft support that can still make a difference. Thank you by the way, and anyone else that went to witness that event.

I didn't want to get my head bashed in; I preferred to engage with people who choose to talk to me (usually to scold me) and to do so in a calm, smiling, friendly and respectful way. Perhaps there is some "value" in exposing the virulence of some extreme Ford supporters but I don't see much value. I do applaud these LGBT folks for stepping up and doing SOMETHING though, even if their choice of protest was not my own. So many more just sat at their twitter feeds and tut tutted.

Thanks Pickles for this detailed account of your experience. I chose not to go to Ford Fest because I was uneasy about the risk of violence and/or confrontation, although I was in two minds about it and felt like a wimp for not going. My Gary Giroux sign would likely have met a horrible end. Props to you and the others who did go and who managed to hold a few civil conversations - as noted, we found this was possible after the Scarboro debate but these conversations only happened with a self-selected few who took the initiative to approach us.

I'm really in two minds here. I don't want to see this escalate until someone ends up trampled or in ER with injuries. But I do believe in the value of public protest (something to do with growing up in the 60s). I wish I'd known about the Reading Sprouts Park opening this morning at which Robby took full credit for a park he'd voted against in council. That would have been a prime opportunity to show up with an appropriate sign and to face Rob one-on-one.

Pickles, the author of the Sobriety Coach parody account also mentions your bravery and grace in a blog post: Jerk chicken in the belly of the beast

That blog was well worth the read, I agree about the grace part. More of that is needed , especially now. I still think that the media needs to report more about rob ford's record in council, the way he votes against things.

As opposed to ignorant Christian white lifelong citizens? I'd tend to think they're a easier to motivate than a collection of different races and religions who've left their respective homelands for different reasons.

Don't confuse support with votes. Angry people don't necessarily vote. Angry people with friends who are all voting and part of a group who's leader is telling them to vote are probably going to vote.

1.) Is it possible LeAnne is simply goading people with these hints on Twitter that she's about to turn on Ford in a big way? Maybe she has zero intention of doing so; I agree that she's obviously not the brightest bulb in the box, and she even more obviously loves the spotlight. This could be her half-witted notion of screwing with people who are against her beloved Slob. It still gains her attention, and it's not inaccurate to say this would be a dimbulb's idea of cunning.

2.) The events of the last week or so, culminating in last night's Thug Fest, would seem to indicate that the entire City Hall staff and bureaucracy are basically passing the buck in regards to that merry band of criminals known as the Ford Family. Especially anyone supposedly acting in a watchdog capacity. It looks like the "plan" is to simply ignore Ford's wrong-doings and bide time until October, on the assumption - or should I say hope? - that he's not going to be a factor afterwards. I can understand this, and even sympathise to an extent...but they're letting the entire city down, outside of the tiny minority that comprise Il Douche's hardcore fans. That's not right.

3.) That doesn't even take into account the non-actions of the police and the media. So, the asshole who choked that protestor is actually well known? And he's been caught on film doing the deed? Uh, is there any reason he hasn't been, you know, arrested? And why the hell hasn't that picture been splashed all over the media by now? Isn't this precisely the sort of "dramatic" material they supposedly love? I thought I'd be seeing it all over the place this morning, but not a hint. I get it: Last night's unpleasantness wasn't all that bad, comparitively speaking. All right, fine. But is it so necessary to go too far in the opposite direction and treat yesterday evening's grotesque freak show as if it was "normal?" Because it most assuredly was not.

This is an issue for city staff today. Something stinks in this city, and it`s a lot stronger than horse manure...

CP24 2:33pm via Twitter Web Client
City staff will discuss potential fine against Thomson after horse stunt at Ford Fest.

Last edited:
Thanks Pickles for this detailed account of your experience. I chose not to go to Ford Fest because I was uneasy about the risk of violence and/or confrontation, although I was in two minds about it and felt like a wimp for not going. My Gary Giroux sign would likely have met a horrible end. Props to you and the others who did go and who managed to hold a few civil conversations - as noted, we found this was possible after the Scarboro debate but these conversations only happened with a self-selected few who took the initiative to approach us.

I'm really in two minds here. I don't want to see this escalate until someone ends up trampled or in ER with injuries. But I do believe in the value of public protest (something to do with growing up in the 60s). I wish I'd known about the Reading Sprouts Park opening this morning at which Robby took full credit for a park he'd voted against in council. That would have been a prime opportunity to show up with an appropriate sign and to face Rob one-on-one.

I had planned to go but was worried about violence. Incidents of threats and violence at City Hall since June 30th have increased, some against media members and sit-in members, at least one threat to Ford, and some incidents of Ford Nationalists towards people outside of Ford's office that weren't part of the sit-in. I do expect that it will get worse before October 27th.

There were 2 Toronto Star reporters there yesterday, Jennifer Pagliaro and Betsey Powell. I wonder how they fared because I'm sure they are looked upon as the devil by FN. I also wonder if the Star purposely kept Daniel Dale away from FF for his own safety. The members of the pro-Ford facebook pages hate him with a passion. I wondered about this when Ford had his launch party in April, as well. The Star didn't have him cover it, sending out Pagliaro instead. She and Powell are not easily recognized so they are safer.

Just after Ford spoke I met someone who turned out to be the writer of the parody twitter account for rofo's sobriety coach.
i see someone has already linked to sebastian's blog entry

i spent some time with him as well ... he's the only anti-ford person (of several i was hoping to meet) who noticed my "Bike Riding PINKO" button, and that's saying something, because by my estimation, there were about 3 to 4 thousand people there when he found me

i'm sorry we didn't meet, pickles... maybe next time :)

CP24 2:33pm via Twitter Web Client
City staff will discuss potential fine against Thomson after horse stunt at Ford Fest.

Hey staff, don't forget about this one too.

Karen Stintz excuse: "The city manager was very clear and he said you can’t actively promote yourself through passing out pamphlets and leaflets, and we’re not doing any of that. We’re just out today to say hello to people and I am wearing a T-shirt"

BtagCuPCIAAtjlm.jpg

Nope, definitely not campaigning.

Attachments

• BtagCuPCIAAtjlm.jpg
    BtagCuPCIAAtjlm.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 937
Hey staff, don't forget about this one too.

Karen Stintz excuse: "The city manager was very clear and he said you can’t actively promote yourself through passing out pamphlets and leaflets, and we’re not doing any of that. We’re just out today to say hello to people and I am wearing a T-shirt"

View attachment 30500

Nope, definitely not campaigning.

How much do you want to bet the Fords will get off scott free while Thomson and Stintz will get reprimanded or fined?

It would be darkly hilarious if Stintz and/or Thomson got nailed for breaking rules while the Fords, as usual, cavalierly lad-de-dah their way through their latest series of campaign violations without so much as a finger wagging or gentle "tsk, tsk" from anyone in authority. And it would be all too typical.

How much do you want to bet the Fords will get off scott free while Thomson and Stintz will get reprimanded or fined?

Remember Ford drives drunk, parks constantly illegally, reads while driving, driving on bike lanes, pass open door streetcars, and never a ticket. But Stintz rolled her bike pass a stop sign and she gets tagged. Something stinks to high heaven.

Yesterday was truly one disturbing site. What I see isn't really a political movement, it's a cult. Those 25% would never not vote for Ford. The idea Stintz or Tory has of being a "rational alternative" isn't going to work. These people do not want to be rational, they want to be angry, they want to feel like their victims (even if their not) they want to be anti-civility. Ford brings that to them.

I have to say major respect for the people who brave enough to go down there and confront those masses. It's really easy to go to a corporate-sponsored parade and have a lovefest for gay rights, and that's great. But it takes major sack to to the belly of the beast and standing your ground against the homphobes. And can't say it an isolated incident, if very few people stepped in when they saw it happen and the majority there cheered it on.

The authority figure did what they always do, ignored it. How f*cked up is that, "I know they are assaulting people on the park, but there's to many of them and you shouldn't be there anyway" That's where we are now. It kind of reminded me when they stood back allowed the black block to smash everything on Saturday and then cracked the heads of innocent protesters on Sunday.

It would be darkly hilarious if Stintz and/or Thomson got nailed for breaking rules while the Fords, as usual, cavalierly lad-de-dah their way through their latest series of campaign violations without so much as a finger wagging or gentle "tsk, tsk" from anyone in authority. And it would be all too typical.

Especially considering the history between the ( married ) MINO and the two ( equally married ) mayoral candidates.

View attachment 30501View attachment 30502

Remember Ford drives drunk, parks constantly illegally, reads while driving, driving on bike lanes, pass open door streetcars, and never a ticket.

Except when the RCMP busted him for Jay-walking in BC.

I suspect that many Canadians wish to see RoFo re-elected. Not because they would ever vote for him as their own mayor, but they see RoFo as their way of giving the middle-finger to the "centre of the universe".

Remembering Don Cherry's comments the day RoFo was sworn in at CH.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back