1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 750     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, what would have happened if this were the States, lenient gun laws and all (presuming that the Fords are too lackadaisical to frisk the guests)

Can you imagine the mayhem if they were "packing"? ( Perhaps some were? )

Be interesting if they had to pass through a metal detector to get their burgers.

BtbyEZkCMAE-Gam.jpg

Ron Banerjee of the Canadian Hindu Advocacy giving a gay guy the shawinigan handshake.

These people are truly hopeless and helpless. I just don't think they have the reasoning skills to understand how things work. Not one of them even knew what the population of Toronto was. I asked a few simple questions about Toronto, that the average person should know but not a single one of them knew simple things like who was the first mayor of the Megga-City or who was the last mayor of Scarborough, North York or Etobicoke. Nobody could name the 5 cities/boroughs that used to make up Metropolitan Toronto. (before amalgamation) Not one person I spoke to could answer any question I asked them, yet they said they now more about Toronto than I did. lol People kept saying things like "you don't know what you're talking about " or "You don't understand how Toronto is". Almost all these people were not born in Toronto, yet they are telling me I don't know what's really happening in my own city.

If you point out they're wrong, you are in for a fight. I'm lucky I didn't get my ass kicked because a few times I felt things might go that way. Thank god the police were close by.

Do be careful, I've seen what someone like the Fords can do when they have more powers, and it's seriously ugly.

With that out of the way, while I understand what you're trying to do. You're probably not going to get much progress. I think one reason why Ford can get cred with people like this, is that he makes virtue out of ignorance. He doesn't know or understand a lot of things, he doesn't care about a lot of things, and that's ok, because look at me, I'm the mayor!

But Rofo does care, about your potholes. And Rofo will never belittle you for your willful ignorance. He respects the taxpayers. Emphasis on -Respect-. Even if Rofo calls you racist slurs behind your back, or to your face when you're driving a taxi, or when he's drunk and high, or pissed off, or consistently vote against your interests during council meeting. That's if he shows up at all, and not late and high or hungover. But that just makes him the bad boy cool gangster mayor, that everyone wishes they could be, amirite?

Seriously be careful out there, some of these people are similar to Rofo thinking wise. They can be very temperamental, they might interpret you being 'right' as a disrespect against them, and a dis' can be seen as fighting words. Many of them don't have much beyond a misplaced pride. Rofo puts on the retail politician charm when he shows up in person, and for a lot of them that's more care and respect they've seen in a long while. I'm certainly not excusing their appalling behaviors, and that guy crossing a line with assault. But there's a reason why someone like Ford can find traction among them.

Voting the Fords out of office will get rid of a couple of rotten Red Apples that has overstayed their welcome. But the root of the problem is still there. I doubt we will ever truly eliminate it, but it might be possible to reduce it. Hopefully to a point where Fofam's demagoguery is truly fringe and few.

Now who do I have to choke to get a free burger around here?

Incidentally, *I* went to Ford Fest--darted off quickly after work, hopped on the Nugget Express at Kennedy Station and got there a bit after 5:30, did a walkabout for half an hour (and spotted Sarah Thomson's team, natch; but I wasn't really "into" spotting others). Just don't get why *anyone* would be into enduring these kinds of Soviet/Space Mountain-style endless lines for picayune free food and swag. The most protester-looking character (again, I wasn't really looking) was some four eyed John Furr Jr-looking glum shirtless guy in the lineup (well, he was *shirtless*; that's my only clue, if it even was one); and seeing him all by his lonesome, I can understand why Ford Nation might sneer. But yeah, I agree about thousands-not-hundreds (and did RoFo's robocalls go to 905ers as well, just as last year's Centennial Park do reached out to Peel Region?) Appropriate bookends: Kevin Clarke was on the bus going there; and I spotted Jim McMillan putting up posters on Brimley on the way out. Myself, I was unobtrusive...but (and this was even before the violence) came up w/two conclusions: (1) you still can't count the Fords out, and (2) no matter; this is *still* not going to end well...

Doug, at some point tomorrow: My heart bleeds for those little faggots, but no one told me they`d be allowed to leave the house.

Curse you, adma.

Now I'm stuck with the image of Reg and Rob sitting down together to enjoy an exclusive screening of his pristine copy of Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves.

He *was* a Ford supporter in 2010--he's suspended his support in 2014. But his "Jane Jacobs Libertarian" outlook still makes him about as acceptable a candidate for Flagg as it gets around those parts.

And yes, he's gay--in fact, some may needle him for a few, uh, "skeletons" related to that...

Doug, at some point tomorrow: My heart bleeds for those little faggots, but no one told me they`d be allowed to leave the house.

I want to believe that's too crass even for Thug, but every time I think we've hit the last stop on the Crazy Train. Toot Toot!

I spent about 30 minutes at Ford Fest before feeling really dirty for spending too much time in Scarborough and being associated with those people. In my time there I saw the GLBT group be harassed, Iola going on and on about how Kathleen Wynne should've never been elected because she's a lesbian, and lots of "Ford more years" chants. The Gatineau recreational trail was a nice bike ride though, except when I got to Thompson Memorial Park where Ford Nation decided to drive their SUV's on the trail, blocking all pedestrians and cyclists.

I see... lumping people like that makes you look bigoted.

OMG the cbc report on Ford Fest made it look like a cute little BBQ....they didn't show the pic of that dude being strangled, only a picture of the dude talking to a cop as they said he "claimed to be assaulted". Then cut to Doug saying 99.9% of EVERYONE had a great time. And then cut to Rob WINKING at the camera.

I am so nauseous now.

If the video is verbatim then they are making fun of the brothers, like "wink, wink, nudge, nudge..".

You have nothing to apologize for, Casita. People talk about, or used to talk about, 'Don Millionaires', 'West Hillbillies', 'North Yokels', 'Wrexford', etc. Especially if you were playing competitive hockey (MTHL at the time). 'Scarborough Suitcase' is as much of a denigration as 'Kenora Dinner Jacket' is for anyone wearing plaid and kodiaks. It's part of the 'rich tapestry of Toronto' fergawdsakes. If you don't know it, you maybe haven't been here. So, please, lighten up.

It still doesn't excuse ignorance.

So has Blair said he will ask to renew his contract ?
Can't wait for the Ford reaction to that.

Also is it safe to say Metro Man was full of shit again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back