164     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 596     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
man-eavsdropping.jpg

Ha. Ha!

Well absolutely. I think this is a case of "give 'em more rope", sickening as the whole spectacle is. I just visited the IHTWORF Facebook site, and I also sampled some of Iola Fortino's tweets. Gads they're all such sick puppies. Better for the public at large to witness this, at this time, imho.

Indeed, let them make fools of themselves. I tend to avoid that Facebook page because it makes my brain hurt.

Not all of them are, and I think that should not be underestimated. Wingnuts are gonna wingnuts no matter what. But look at some of the people that Fofam targets. New Canadians\immigrants. Marginalized communities. blue collar, and suburban folksy folks. I'm an immigrant, I live in Scarborough. I've worked blue collar jobs. I don't know all the founders and history of Scarborough either. :p And I've never supported Rofo because I've seen his type of demagogue before.

But I can guess who Rofo is targeting with his dog whistle, and not all of them will show up at a rally. But they may still vote for him if nothing else to give a big fat F.U. to a perceived elite who disrespects and ignores them for far too long. Rofo may not be book smart, but his instinct for making the political personal, and playing the division game is still strong. I think and I hope the people that Rofo targets realizes that Rofo was never on their side. But again, I still wouldn't rule him out completely. Stupid is as stupid does, yet Rofo is still MINO. Even with that mostly ceremonial power, he's still able to stir up a crapfest.

I was in line at Timmie's and three older guys were in front of me. They didn't appear to be very intelligent and reminded me of Ford's demographic. Most of the people who hang around his camping office across the street are older and don't seem to be very book smart.

Not all of them are, and I think that should not be underestimated. Wingnuts are gonna wingnuts no matter what. But look at some of the people that Fofam targets. New Canadians\immigrants. Marginalized communities. blue collar, and suburban folksy folks. I'm an immigrant, I live in Scarborough. I've worked blue collar jobs. I don't know all the founders and history of Scarborough either. :p And I've never supported Rofo because I've seen his type of demagogue before.

But I can guess who Rofo is targeting with his dog whistle, and not all of them will show up at a rally. But they may still vote for him if nothing else to give a big fat F.U. to a perceived elite who disrespects and ignores them for far too long. Rofo may not be book smart, but his instinct for making the political personal, and playing the division game is still strong. I think and I hope the people that Rofo targets realizes that Rofo was never on their side. But again, I still wouldn't rule him out completely. Stupid is as stupid does, yet Rofo is still MINO. Even with that mostly ceremonial power, he's still able to stir up a crapfest.

Word. A whole segment of the population isn't going to show up at Ford Fest or any campaign rally, or even discuss politics on social media. Some won't follow politics enough to even know what the issues are, let alone his or any of the candidates stand is on them.

However, they are likely to quietly go vote, if a candidate represents something to them that makes it important. Making them feel as though he alone is on their side and looking out for their interests (or at least, to curb the dollars spent on things they don't care about) may be enough. Hard to say how many of the votes he got that way last time, would be turned off by the notoriety and criminal behavior this time 'round, or realize that he didn't act in their interest after all. Whether he'd pull any new 'sympathy' vote or 'better the devil you know' votes is also unknown. So can't count him out, no. Alas.

"Dear all: This morning at 8:11 a.m., the campaign Twitter account of Michael Ford, Ward 2 candidate, encourages everyone to come to the Ford Fest family BBQ. This is in flagrant violation of the terms and conditions ....."

I don't understand why you think it's a flagrant violation. Mike is part of the Ford (/Stirpe?) family and the decision was already made by the powers that be that the party can go ahead as long as it's not a campaign event. Mike may be a candidate but he's also a Ford. The decision is not one you agree with, but given what it is I don't see how this can be construed as a violation. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just curious as to your reasoning given the ruling that's already come down. "Ruling" may be too strong a word, but you catch my drift.

I know many of you disagree and I respect your position, but in my mind it's just a silly picnic thrown by a doomed candidate/family. The band played on the Titanic, but it didn't stop the ship from sinking. If a free sno-cone is going to sway someone into voting for a crack-smoking drunk driving racist homophobic inveterate liar who refuses to speak to the very police force he claims to support, we're all in worse trouble than we thought. I don't think it behoves the anti-Ford forces to get overly angry about this.

Plus, free hamburgers!!!!!!

in other news, it's just been reported that ford just left city hall with his campaign staff in tow to go tour a TCHC building in scarborough.

so again, quite blatantly campaigning on city with city resources. his campaign spokesman has literally no business touring housing with during working hours.

repercussions . . . ?

in other news, it's just been reported that ford just left city hall with his campaign staff in tow to go tour a TCHC building in scarborough.

so again, quite blatantly campaigning on city with city resources. his campaign spokesman has literally no business touring housing with during working hours.

repercussions . . . ?

A strongly worded statement. That stings!

I don't understand why you think it's a flagrant violation. Mike is part of the Ford (/Stirpe?) family and the decision was already made by the powers that be that the party can go ahead as long as it's not a campaign event. Mike may be a candidate but he's also a Ford. The decision is not one you agree with, but given what it is I don't see how this can be construed as a violation. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just curious as to your reasoning given the ruling that's already come down. "Ruling" may be too strong a word, but you catch my drift.

I know many of you disagree and I respect your position, but in my mind it's just a silly picnic thrown by a doomed candidate/family. The band played on the Titanic, but it didn't stop the ship from sinking. If a free sno-cone is going to sway someone into voting for a crack-smoking drunk driving racist homophobic inveterate liar who refuses to speak to the very police force he claims to support, we're all in worse trouble than we thought. I don't think it behoves the anti-Ford forces to get overly angry about this.

Sent from a campaign account. That's it. A violation in the same way FordFest was mentioned on his camping website. Which they took down after objections were raised.

I prefer to think of it as a cast party for Project Brazen II.

This has been pointed out, and beaten pretty much to death, on Twitter and other forums for some days. The CH staff seem to read this as stopping only a permit for the "use of a candidate as a candidate" - hence all of the Ford horse shit about celebrating their family' blah, blah and not 'camping'.

ETA: And that is not an implausible reading. It is a golden rule of written laws that every word is to be read with sensitivity to its context. Here, use is conjoined with "promote" (i.e., read "use" as an alternative means to promote), plus the whole provision has to be read with the awareness that it applies only during an election period (and thus only during the period in which a person can be a candidate, in the official sense).

Something as simple as putting the permit in Doug's (or another family member's) name would probably get them through this loophole with ease.

repercussions . . . ?

As per Toronto Election 2014, I think you're mistaken: http://www.torontohousing.ca/Elections_candidates

Access to Toronto Community Housing Property

◦Candidates and/or campaign workers will be given reasonable access to Toronto Community Housing property for canvassing, delivery of election materials, voter identification.
◦Candidates and campaign workers are required provide identification to gain access to Toronto Community Housing property; and to display that identification while carrying out election-related activities on-site.

However, if he's going back to the same place he was the other day (Cougar Court?) as he said he would, this is not TCHC housing, just apparently terrible private property management (kind of like Dixon, although IIRC, Dixon is actually condos).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg:D

I'm thinking of riding my bike from downtown to Ford Fest tonight just to see the spectacle, and for free burgers of course. Am I going to look out of place with my bike? I heard Ford supporters don't like bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back