676     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 601     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 739     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. The city is useless. They can see that campaigning will happen, but don't seem to care at all.

wow - so disappointing. i hope that they're giving some thought about the impact that this has on democracy, civil society, and peoples' sense of engagement with their city. because they're really just looking right at you, shrugging their shoulders, and saying "meh."

There is no "pass it the first time". No school will send you for a checkride if you're not ready, no school will solo you if you're not ready, no school will let you take the written if you're not ready. There's no way my instructor would have signed me off if he didn't think I'd pass. Failing a checkride or failing the written looks really bad on the school and counts against them. If it happens, it's an anomaly. Normally it's just that it takes some people longer.

Okay euler let me be more specific. I said 'if you pass it first time'. Clearly that was not clear enough and what I meant to say was 'if you can complete the program within the minimum number of hours allocated for each portion of the training because if you need more time to be ready, the meter is running.' I am not a pilot but I've put one through flight school.

It looks like he officially changed his name to Ford this year.

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the following changes of name were
granted during the period from February 10, 2014 to February 16, 2014

STIRPE, MICHAEL.
DOUGLAS.A.FORD.
changed to
FORD, MICHAEL.DOUGLAS

http://files.ontariogovernment.ca/gazette_docs/gazette_march_8_ont06_028206.pdf

Maybe I'm cynical but he might have changed his name to take advantage of voters in Etobicoke. Nah, the Fords wouldn't do anything underhanded or unethical.

wow - so disappointing. i hope that they're giving some thought about the impact that this has on democracy, civil society, and peoples' sense of engagement with their city. because they're really just looking right at you, shrugging their shoulders, and saying "meh."

I was referring to them letting the Ford's break campaign rules and turning a blind eye. I care a lot about the city, but the people who issued the permit seem to have double standards.

Basic pilot licence is about $11K done privately (not through a college program) if you pass it all first time. Not immensely difficult to get and while commendable and a good pick up line at parties, it's not indicative of any special brilliance or talent. The float plane licence can be added on over a weekend of very intensive instruction for a few thou more. Total outlay is likely less than $20K for the Ford trust.

If I were a councillor, and I owned a bike, the thought of Doug Ford 'hopping on the back' would cause me to have night terrors. But if Doug tried to get into a plane with Mikey, with the heft of the two of them, they wouldn't get off the ground.

Nope, it doesn't any more. See: http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/search/re/1/416-751-3673/Toronto+ON

My guess is that the twitter used an old screengrab. It does still categorize Rob Ford Campaign as a "new auto parts and supplies" business, though....

The tweet went out on June 22nd.

STIRPE, MICHAEL.
DOUGLAS.A.FORD.
changed to
FORD, MICHAEL.DOUGLAS

Wow, you spend 20 years with one last name, then suddenly you have to change every piece of identification you own (OHIP, Driver's License, credit cards, passport, etc. etc.) just because your uncles want you to run for a position you probably have no intention of pursuing. Nice.

I was referring to them letting the Ford's break campaign rules and turning a blind eye. I care a lot about the city, but the people who issued the permit seem to have double standards.

oh, me too - we're in agreement here! i understand that the people issuing the permit are just civil servants doing their job, but i wonder if they're considering how many people will see their decision and just say "screw it - there's a clear double-standard and the rules don't apply to some people." it's this kind of thing that really kills voter turnout and general civic engagement.

STIRPE, MICHAEL.
DOUGLAS.A.FORD.
changed to
FORD, MICHAEL.DOUGLAS

"Hey Mikey, just change your last name to ours and then yer Uncle Rob and I will getcha elected to city council. Doesn't that sound great?"

Say UTers, don't you all remember when Mikey was helping Uncle Rob take a ride to the airport for his failed Chicago rehab trip, and there was a passport application caught on camera on the dashboard of Mikey's Camaro (leading to much speculation)? Maybe dude got his name changed, but hadn't got 'round to fixin' up all his documents and stuff.

(For some reason, thinkin' about the Fords too much makes me start thinkin' more folksy, and I start droppin' Gs.)

Last edited:
Here's some more fun stuff on Mikey's flight history:

The plane in his facebook photo is a single-engine Cessna Caravan with tail C-FCWS:

10359165_10152076826672344_8487809711180767564_n.jpg

C-FCWS has been kicking around since 2009, in both standard and float plane arrangement:
http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=C-FCWS&u=reg

There is no record of it on FlightAware for the last four months, but that's not a surprise since private aircraft aren't tracked as thoroughly as commercial flights. However, note that FA lists the plane's owner as 1711169 Ontario Ltd.:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFCWS

1711169 Ontario Ltd. operates as Lake Country Airways (you can see part of their logo on the tail of the plane in Mikey's pic). Lake Country Airways has been fined a number of times over the last few years for operating an unapproved pilot training program:
- In 2012/13, subject to a restraining order by the Ministry of Colleges & Universities and fined $4,000 for claiming to be a vocational (flight) school
- In 2011, one of their planes crashed with an instructor and student on board (no injuries, not Mikey)
- In 2010, subject to a restraining order by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities for claiming to offer vocational (flight) training

In other words, Mikey got his flight training from the best training school in the country which is - you guessed it - not actually a flight training school.

Discuss.

ETA: There is no excuse for white socks and shorts. None.

Attachments

• 10359165_10152076826672344_8487809711180767564_n.jpg
    10359165_10152076826672344_8487809711180767564_n.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 961
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back