355     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 773     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet his kids are with Renata's parents full time. He is either at City Hall or out at events every day. Today so far he's been at City Hall at least once, the Island and now at another festival. Yesterday he was at City Hall before noon, then at a festival. Where Renata is, who knows, maybe she's with them, maybe not but I bet he doesn't currently have them living with him.

They need a "Judge Judy" type as Speaker!

OMFG I've been saying that to friends for months. The ford bros and judge Judy. I can already see her "yeranidiot" face. Hahahah

I wonder how our deputy speaker would have dealt with it. He's usually pretty good at crowd control.

They need a "Judge Judy" type as Speaker!

Yes and no.

Judy would keep them in line, I suppose.

But the Deputy Speaker, John Parker, has consistently shown that a Speaker can be firm and fair, funny and effective, and not be the complete fuck-up that Francis Nunziata has turned out to be.

When she steps out for her pee breaks during Council meetings and leaves him in charge of the playground, I think I can really feel my blood pressure declining.

P. S. Last week, Francis actually made me late for a lunch date, when I convinced myself that she was finally going to eject Doug Ford from the Council chambers for refusing to apologize, and I wanted to see it. Their arguing went on for ages, as he kept raising the stakes, and I stayed at home waiting, until once again she finally caved and let him stay.

I don't know that the attraction is so much about sticking it to the man as it is sticking it to your fellow citizens. It's all so loosely defined coming out of Ford's trap, but those who Ford attacks, whether the so-called 'downtown elite' or 'the gays', aren't really the Man.

Tend to agree. The Fords' modus operandi from Day 1 has been an in-your-face kind of F You not to individuals or groups in general, but to the general boundaries of decorum and civil behaviour. From the Don Cherry Inaugural Ball to the appointment of Nunzi as speaker on down to the steadfast sit-down on congratulating WP volunteers (who, as mentioned, helped bring in BILLION$ of tourist money), the Ford era has been characterized by the overriding desire to stick a fat finger in the collective sternum and complain. Needless to say, such an approach accomplishes very little.

Sadly, this scorched-earth, dragnet approach to saying F You has ensnared 'the gays', 'the downtown elite', the majority of the literate press and others who are not worthy of the 'real people' designation they seem to reference in their hostile defence of the indefensible. Happily, though, they've alienated everybody but the nincompoops, the insane and those like Eye-Ola, Neil Flagg's cult and some dumb stragglers within the GTA and environs. Can the City ask Don Cherry to make a speech when these jerks finally get a big footprint on their ample tuchi? Brackets are always useful.

Last edited:
I don't know that the attraction is so much about sticking it to the man as it is sticking it to your fellow citizens. It's all so loosely defined coming out of Ford's trap, but those who Ford attacks, whether the so-called 'downtown elite' or 'the gays', aren't really the Man.

Yeah, but to hear some quarters of Ford Nation tell it, there's a mob of downtowners ready to call Ford Folks racist/sexist/homophobic at the drop of a hat and golly gee, that's oppression, somehow. Yes, poor Iola Fortino wouldn't have thrown epithets around if she hadn't been 'bullied' by people calling her and others on their hateful bullshit all the time.

Although I have a background in special education, learning disabilities and child psychology, I am still at a loss to explain the intense desire of young people to get a photo with Rob Ford. Last night on Twitter, I saw a plaintive tweet along the lines of "I'm the only one without a selfie with #RobFord." Is it that simple? Is it just "everyone has one and I want to be part of the group taking a pic with the famous fool"? Do they, in fact, see him as a fool? Do they not realize how his perspective/biases are actually contrary to their own interests? (E.g., not investing in necessary infrastructure will eventually have an impact on jobs; privatization will raise the cost/availability of services; juvenile behavior inhibits progress of municipal affairs; etc. - not to mention all the convoluted consequences of the hard drug trade and criminal support.)

Am I overthinking this? If not, are there truly that many young people who truly see him as a positive figure AND would vote for him?

Maybe consider their parentage. Esp. if they're of the "dumb suburban breeder" variety.

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so be nice to me. :D Ford's Scarborough campaign office is across the street from where I live, as is the Taste Of Lawrence every year. I was getting souvlaki from one vendor and Ford Nation people were as well, the same ones who were at City Hall when he returned from spa-hab. They didn't seem to be the most intelligent people around were all older. It is rather embarrassing that people here supported him so much.

Not that it makes much difference, but I would love to see a new poll after Ford's disaster of a return.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, this is my first post, so be nice to me. :D Ford's Scarborough campaign office is across the street from where I live, as is the Taste Of Lawrence every year. I was getting souvlaki from one vendor and Ford Nation people were as well, the same ones who were at City Hall when he returned from spa-hab. They didn't seem to be the most intelligent people around were all older. It is rather embarrassing that people here supported him so much.

Not that it makes much difference, but I would love to see a new poll after Ford's disaster of a return.

Nnnnnah ...

(Just kidding.)

This is excellent:

There are three main Ford camps:

1. Stick it to the man (screw the rich, screw the politicians)
2. Misplaced loyalties (I have a special interest that RF claims to support, but he'll probably end up doing the opposite)
3. Participatory fame (The Khardashian Complex)

Group 3 doesn't care about the politics, they just want a blurry pic and a story to impress their friends.

What worries me is #3.

Supposedly Ford’s 2010 election was won by people voting who normally do not. Judging now from what appears to be happening on the Chow campaign, and Tory’s to a lesser extent, is that different groups of previously apathetic or non-voters are being mobilised. Partly by Ford’s performance, no doubt. How this plays out, I don’t yet know, but I hope good comes from it.

But rather than pissed-off drivers or closet homophobes ( and there are plenty, including a rainbow of some of the nicest religious people you’ll ever meet), 2014’s soft supporters of Ford may be the selfies and Kim K-for-president cohort. It's been surprising how big it is, no?

It may not be enough to elect, but it may be enough to scare. A bit like 1995 Quebec Referendum night.

#3 worries me more if we’ve now crossed the rubicon or jumped the shark into a zone where if not an infamous mayor, but a famous-for-being-famous mayor is sufficient.

Is city politics that irrelevant to 99% of the population, that this scenario might be OK Joe, good enough to go? Close enough for rock and roll?

Cue the cynics about the civics. But citizens trying to make their home a better place to live isn’t that weird, is it? It might be an old idea, but even some animals do it. Or if it plays better in TV gangsta language, even the Sopranos used to say “you don’t shit where you eat.”

If full-strength purple Jesus Ford is too much for now -- like Idiocracy's President Camacho -- will Ford Lite be next on the mayor menu?

ETA: maybe the "Stick it to the Man" people belong at the top of the "Misplaced Loyalties" list, 'cause they stickin it to their fellow man instead.

Last edited:
Oh yes these are how they are now. We have spent the last couple decades showing kids all kinds of examples of bad behaviour that's "funny" and "cool". Between commercials, video games, tv sitcoms, the blurring of lines (Simpsons and family guy are not made for kids yet are marketed to them), and now giving them 24 hour access to the Internet where they can revel in Bieber's missteps and Britney's (et al) breakdowns; all while not monitoring how they are absorbing what they see.

Celebrity is also now purely about attention and not any sort of value. It's all lies and manufactured envy designed to make money and have everyone look at you.

So it that way it is a natural progression that our society is moving towards electing who's cool and not who's going to do anything remotely related to actual living.

Rant done.

They said the same thing about Elvis' corrupting influence. Btw celebrity has always been manufactured and money-driven.

People just think the pictures with Ford are funny. They are not some grand statement on his politics or the way he presents himself.

Politicians are so full of crap in general and rarely speak to young people's sensibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back