News   Jun 27, 2024
 469     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 480     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 26257View attachment 26258

And that's the crux of the issue, Doug sees no problem with what they did, because like Rob, he hasn't actually read anything that describes the ethics of his job. Someone needs to ask him directly what business he had being at any of these meetings since they aren't constituents.

Is it possible that the investigation of "Criminality in the Mayors Office" hasn't been an investigation so much in to drugs but an investigation in to large scale kick-backs to the Ford family - and that the drugs and guns ended up throwing a nice cover story so that the trail of the real investigation was entirely something else (like this one)? A Search Warrant for the Deco offices was to look at their client relations and not looking for contraband?

Last edited:
This Globe story is better than anything that has come out of the ITO's. It implicates Doug, and it can't be dismissed as "personal".

We are supposed to believe that Doug is too rich to be conflicted; he is above it all. (Just helpin' Rob promote business in Toronto. Just noblesse oblige.) Customer of Deco? Doesn't matter "two hoots"; Deco has "a million" customers. Here's a $20; get yourself a coffee.

Last edited:
Won't the seriousness of corruption allegations be somewhat mitigated by the fact that they seem to be mostly unsuccessful in scoring any concessions for their client? From my reading of the article, any tax breaks the company did receive would have been given to most other companies, and they did end up with a substantial payment for waste treatment. In the end, the Fords wasted staff time for their personal concerns, but the system worked.

Won't the seriousness of corruption allegations be somewhat mitigated by the fact that they seem to be mostly unsuccessful in scoring any concessions for their client? From my reading of the article, any tax breaks the company did receive would have been given to most other companies, and they did end up with a substantial payment for waste treatment. In the end, the Fords wasted staff time for their personal concerns, but the system worked.

I would think that if they were to face any legal consequences for this (and as other posters have said, it seems unlikely), the attempt is what matters.

Is it possible that the investigation of "Criminality in the Mayors Office" hasn't been an investigation so much in to drugs but and investigation in to large scale kick-backs to the Ford family - and that the drugs and guns ended up throwing a nice cover story so that the trail of the real investigation was entirely something else (like this one)? A Search Warrant for the Deco offices was to look at their client relations and not looking for contraband?

Doug is arms deep in questionable behaviour. Pretty much everything he's done with the Portlands has been questionable. People ignore his crap (and Mammo's) because they aren't as glamorous as crack smoking and racism. If people really looked at the way they conduct business at council they would see more of this.

True, which is probably largely why Doug wanted to implement a strong mayor system that would give Rob veto power.

The client actually got included on a tax break that was reserved for the original land owner only - they shouldn't have gotten a full $2.5M tax break on land they didn't own - they were only tenants!

No, a currently sitting Mayor and Councillor using their status and knowledge of municipal bylaws to get anything done for people they have private business relationships with, no matter the outcome, is wrong. This is why we have registered lobbyists, so that we can circumvent any need for this. Apollo should have consulted with a professional lobbyist or expert, and used them to help get these things accomplished. You can not use your public office for personal benefit ever, even if that benefit could have come through other, less nefarious means.

Is it possible that the investigation of "Criminality in the Mayors Office" hasn't been an investigation so much in to drugs but an investigation in to large scale kick-backs to the Ford family - and that the drugs and guns ended up throwing a nice cover story so that the trail of the real investigation was entirely something else (like this one)? A Search Warrant for the Deco offices was to look at their client relations and not looking for contraband?

There's no evidence that cops are looking into this in any of the ITOs that have come out. But there is a chance cops have hidden ITOs (i.e. filed them in a far off court) for a separate, parallel investigation. Or perhaps McCarthur and Donovan are just better investigators than TPS.

On decrease in parking tickets. Yep, rebates for everyone.

reporterdonpeat 10:42am via Web
"We've got to treat everything like a business down here" Cllr Doug Ford.

Can we use this thread to express our outright hatred for Doug Ford? Everything he says makes me want to punch kittens.

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 10.47.40 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 10.47.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 10.47.40 AM.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 740
Wasn't that what you were supposed to be doing for the last four years?

BenSpurr 10:44am via TweetDeck
Doug Ford in GM committee: "Just imagine if we went through every single department and found efficiencies."

There are no serious consequences from the integrity commission. A written reprimand, a formal apology to the muppets of Toronto or a wish-you-were-here postcard from rehab...

So the intergrity commissioner has always been this useless? It's not just another example of our supposed defenders of public interest falling down on the job when it comes to standing against the Ford family? Jesus Christ. Like many people, I had naively assumed there were actual laws on the books to punish this kind of blatant criminality. Who designed these so-called deterrents? The Victorian Ladies Sewing Circle and Temperence Society?

"So we're all agreed that rampant criminality in the government shall result in no less harsh a penalty than a firm letter handed to the miscreants? Followed by a stern talking to should they not mend their villianous ways?"

"Madam Chairwoman, I recommend the scofflaws should instead be reprimanded by a vigorous finger wagging as well as a disappointed 'Tsk, tsk, for shame!' That'll learn 'em!"

"Excellent suggestion! Shall we put it to the vote?"

"Wait a minute! Shouldn't rampant corruption and breaking the law result in some kind of prison sentence?"

"Gasp! Are you barbaric? What would Miss Manners say? Ooooh, I feel faint! Somebody fetch the smelling salts!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back