3.7K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, AoD (and others), does this not cross the line on Rob Ford's personal definition of 'conflict of interest'? Both Apollo and he, personally (through Deco), benefit from his lobbying and decision-making.

Not to mention the fact it's a conflict of interest by any reasonable person's definition as well.

"What's good for Deco is good for Toronto."

(What I expect to hear from Douggie today)

Eventually, the city entered into an agreement with Apollo to treat its excess discharge, for a fee, at a city treatment plant. Mr. Wachsberg said that agreement has cost his company $800,000 a year, and he complained that no one from the bureaucracy warned him about the city’s water standards before he moved his company to Toronto.
No one "warned" him about the water standards? His business is making liquid soaps and he didn't consider the water standards? Nice.

I think the point is that Rob and Doug see nothing wrong with this behaviour. It's classic mob mentality -- they see themselves as businessmen, not gangsters. This is just them being business-friendly, to friends.

That's why the honour code will never work with them. Because they honestly don't get it. At all.

No one "warned" him about the water standards? His business is making liquid soaps and he didn't consider the water standards? Nice.

Another graduate of the Gene Jones ("no one told me there were rules") School of Management.

When asked if other suitable candidates could have applied for the position between May 2 and May 6, 2013, the CEO [Jones] replied: “No. Absolutely not.” The CEO believed his hiring decision adhered to human resources policies and procedures because “someone didn’t come to me and say that it wasn’t in accordance.”

Last edited:
Sweet Mister:

Actually the "honour" code does work with them - it's called the wall of silence. But of course, it couldn't help that his worship is such an inept character.

AoD

It really should have been pointed out in the article that Apollo isn't even in Dougs ward - what is he doing involving himself in these negotiations unless it is on behalf of Deco?
I can understand that he quickly solved all of his wards problems early in his term (such as erecting a fence between Rob and his drug dealers) and has a lot of time on his hands, but... !

I agree with Cooper, which makes me question how the hell Deco has "flourished" while having the 3 stooges running the place. It defies logic.
There has to be a lot of monkey business going on, the Ford boys would have trouble organizing a sock drawer FFS.

This has also been bugging me forever. The only conclusion I can come to is the second bold part. Anxiously waiting for all this to unfold.

VTB:

I tend to be cynical, but this view belonged originally to the realm of conspiracy theory - but I am afraid the experiences over the past year or so showed us pigs can indeed fly in the sky.

AoD

It was never farfetched to me. The only hurdle I keep running into is who would trust these guys? They make the three stooges look like geniuses!

The vast majority of organized crime operators are just as incompetent. Birds of a feather. You only have to look at the mafiosi who become successful to realize how dumb the rest of them must be.

It really should have been pointed out in the article that Apollo isn't even in Dougs ward - what is he doing involving himself in these negotiations unless it is on behalf of Deco?!

It was:

"Mr. Wachsberg’s factory is not in Councillor Ford’s ward, a fact that Mr. Pennachetti said he was unaware of until it was pointed out to him by The Globe."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back