664     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 592     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of a man I used to admire very much. Back in '70's, before all these programs were available. Guys wouldn't have asked for help back then even if they were.

He became addicted to Placidyl. He locked himself in a motel room and went through withdrawal for a week. As far as I know, he never had a relapse.

I certainly hope the Ford family hasn't gone this route (i.e. simply drying him out somewhere and hoping for the best). While lots of addicts quit on their own (most alcoholics I've known actually just stopped drinking on their own), Ford seems to be working on multiple addictions/or a dual diagnosis (depression maybe - which can create a chicken/egg like existence with substance abuse). In any case, having him just hang out in a non-stressed environment for a week or so just might fuel a huge relapse.

My son was in a rehab programme in the '80's. One of the requirements for entrance was that the family was required to attend for one of the weeks for family counseling. Anyone know if that is still standard practice? Will the Ford family be gone and incommunicado in the near future to support their Robbie?

Those pesky ethical questions...

reporterdonpeat 2:57pm via Web
Integrity commissioner now recommends council defer dealing with report ruling Rob Ford breached code of conduct until his return.

My son was in a rehab programme in the '80's. One of the requirements for entrance was that the family was required to attend for one of the weeks for family counseling. Anyone know if that is still standard practice? Will the Ford family be gone and incommunicado in the near future to support their Robbie?

I think family counselling is certainly recommended but not necessarily manditory. I suppose it depends on where he is. I can't see Mother Ford holding her nose long enough to get in the door, but you'd think his wife would be involved if she's not in treatment herself.

I certainly hope the Ford family hasn't gone this route (i.e. simply drying him out somewhere and hoping for the best). While lots of addicts quit on their own (most alcoholics I've known actually just stopped drinking on their own), Ford seems to be working on multiple addictions/or a dual diagnosis (depression maybe - which can create a chicken/egg like existence with substance abuse). In any case, having him just hang out in a non-stressed environment for a week or so just might fuel a huge relapse.

That was a long time ago ( The example I mentioned. ) Times have changed. There's all kinds of help now, and it's no shame any more.

I remember the old "rest cure" treatment. Nobody ever wanted to go through it a second time.

That was a long time ago ( The example I mentioned. ) Times have changed. There's all kinds of help now, and it's no shame any more.

I remember the old "rest cure" treatment. Nobody ever wanted to go through it a second time.

You know that, I know that, but remember, these morons thought hiring a juiced-up trainer was "seeking professional help" the first go round.

Ford's "rehab escape" is very reminiscent to when a celebrity says or does something controversial and soon after they issue a press release saying that they're going to rehab. Do they really go? We don't know. But the public image is all that matters.

I think family counselling is certainly recommended but not necessarily manditory. I suppose it depends on where he is. I can't see Mother Ford holding her nose long enough to get in the door, but you'd think his wife would be involved if she's not in treatment herself.

Maybe it's best to be away from family and friends during the process?

I hesitate to use this comparison, but I was thinking of the way Cesar Millan uses "the power of the pack" to rehabilitate at his psychology centre. Where the subject stays for days or weeks, before being re-united with their family.

RIP "Daddy".

Last edited:
One more pesky ethical question...

m_layton 3:34pm via Tweet Button
Council to hear motion to reverse ban on electronic music events at Exhibition Place.

One more pesky ethical question...

m_layton 3:34pm via Tweet Button
Council to hear motion to reverse ban on electronic music events at Exhibition Place.

I love that they're doing this and the Casa Loma weddings while Ford is away!

Looks like Ford is going to have to apologize to Ainslie for the robocalls to his ward last year. It should be interesting to see if Rob has learned anything in rehab, something about making amends......

I can't decide whether to think the rehab thing is a sham, it's so conflicting.

The circumstances around the sudden departure make their story so hard to believe, but if so, how will Rob get his fixes while in "Chicago"? It's funny to imagine him waddling around the south side trying to score some crack, but I have to think the only way it could work is if Doug prepped something during his visit. I could see a fully stocked crack home taking a week to assemble, especially if it is replete with all the cable sports channels as it can take a few days for the cable guy to come out and hook things up.

I wouldn't put it past sociopath Doug to be the one setting up Rob with the connections he needs. It would explain why he seems to have complete control over him, despite the fact they by all accounts have a very icy relationship. I'm not sure that Doug's control of the family fortune alone could account for that. Money generally doesn't make people that desperate, especially someone like Ford who is fine in the moment and can only think short-term. But addiction does.

On the other hand, with Rob's non-existent impulse control, can he really hide for 30 days? Surely he would get bored out of his mind and crave social interaction, even if it's just taking selfies with freak show audiences. And even the world's worst father would presumably hate being away from his children that long. Maybe they hired a Dr. Nick to medically sedate him for a month.

Occam's Razor and my disdain for conspiracy theories make me lean towards the rehab story. But it sure would be entertaining if I'm wrong.

I love that they're doing this and the Casa Loma weddings while Ford is away!
Also, a few timely City proclamations are scheduled while he's out of town: Kindness Week (May 5-9), Freedom of Information Week (May 5-11), and Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia (May 16).

This might be old news - but Don Peat just reported that DoFo had "no comment" when asked if he would run for mayor. Surprise, surprise.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back