News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a future Joe Warmington column:
Talking to Mayor Ford and the Chicago staff, I have been told that Rob Ford has been the greatest in-patient in the history of the spa, er...clinic. And he tells me that in his 28 day vacation I mean rehab stay, he has managed to cut costs and create efficiencies which have saved the clinic over one million dollars.

I wonder if that's too big a paragraph for his style of writing.

His family is in no position to serve the people - thus far, they have caused nothing but no end of troubles for the city, making a mockery of peace, order and good government.

AoD

I think they have made Toronto a mockery on the international stage. Back in November, every Asian newspaper we saw (was on a trip there) had RoFo plastered across it. Things have only gotten funnier since.

FraudNation:

Indeed - any employee causing this much damage to the reputation of a company would have been sacked ages ago. And he wanted to run the city more like a business? C'est what?

But of course, you already knew what his answer to that would be - the voter chose me, I will stay the course, people who disagree are just a bunch of elitists, look who is on Jimmy Kimmel, etc, etc.

Whoever is the next mayor should invite Don Cherry back and serve him a slice of his humble pie.

AoD

FraudNation:

Indeed - any employee causing this much damage to the reputation of a company would have been sacked ages ago. And he wanted to run the city more like a business? C'est what?

But of course, you already knew what his answer to that would be - the voter chose me, I will stay the course, people who disagree are just a bunch of elitists, look who is on Jimmy Kimmel, etc, etc.

Whoever is the next mayor should invite Don Cherry back and serve him a slice of his humble pie.

AoD

I still think that Don might have been the referenced "hockey analyst" from the original crack tape seller's boast.

Tinfoil territory: Don is terminally ill, no one in the media wants to tarnish the second Best Ever Canadian. It could explain why Don behaves the way he does, and would definetly explain his support of RoFo.

I still think that Don might have been the referenced "hockey analyst" from the original crack tape seller's boast.

Tinfoil territory: Don is terminally ill, no one in the media wants to tarnish the second Best Ever Canadian. It could explain why Don behaves the way he does, and would definetly explain his support of RoFo.

Nah, Cherry's just an ass. No tinfoil necessary.

People can be well educated and still off their rockers.

Yes except he isn't off his rocker. He's actually quite sane just buys into the koolaid about saving money. Guess as smart as he is he hasn't stopped to consider the long term economic consequence of "Ford more years".

I was responding to a comment that Ford fans are "simple minded" which I interpret neither as intelligent nor well educated. Perhaps my interpretation is too simple lol.

I think a more vaild assessment would be that most of Ford's supporters, at least the vocal ones, are simple.

I think a more vaild assessment would be that most of Ford's supporters, at least the vocal ones, are simple.

I'm not sure that's really the explanation either. They could be moderately intelligent, at least some of them, but on the whole they really seem to want to buy into simplistic answers to complex issues. That takes a certain amount of denial and stubbornness, but it's a failure of analytical thinking, not necessarily a sign of low intelligence.

I'm not convinced the video is a set-up or planned; Doug might be on it but he would never admit to that. His reaction to it doesn't suggest he knew it was coming, otherwise he'd be doing and saying things in response and so far he's been uncharacteristically quiet.

If there is some kind of plan behind the video, though, how it makes Kathy look is kind of irrelevant to the Ford clan: she's a lost cause and probably considered expendable in the bigger picture of keeping Rob and/or Doug in power.

100%. I have a friend who is a contractor. Lives on St Clair West. He hates St Clair ROW because it takes him longer to get to work - there are fewer lanes etc. If I spent time reasoning with him... sure I could explain the societal benefits of the ROW, how it moves x number of people, why its actually better on St Clair now because there are left turn lanes etc... but at the end of the day - he's a busy contract who wants to drive from his house in the west end to a job site. The high minded, intellectual pursuits of the Miller era, had no day-to-day impact on him. I don't agree with such "simple-minded" voting and I'm not using the word simple in a derogatory capacity; but most people, especially when it comes to municipal politics vote on very localized, how does this impact me today (or maybe tomorrow). In that regard Rob Ford was the perfect mayor - he has no vision and I think he ultimately knows this (which is why he has said, while drunk, he's in over his head) - he is in over his head.

The challenge and I don't have an answer for this is being able to craft a vision for the city that also speaks to day to day realities/challenges of the majority of the electorate.

The quiet ones that I know admit they are deeply ashamed of him. Then in the next breath will say, "But, if he saves me a nickel on my property tax..."

A gerbil that saved them a nickel on their property tax would get their vote. This comes back to those cab driver Ford supporters and others described along the way. They only care about the message and the perception that he has saved them money on their taxes, the facts don't faze them.

Yes except he isn't off his rocker. He's actually quite sane just buys into the koolaid about saving money. Guess as smart as he is he hasn't stopped to consider the long term economic consequence of "Ford more years".

I was responding to a comment that Ford fans are "simple minded" which I interpret neither as intelligent nor well educated. Perhaps my interpretation is too simple lol.

I consider supporting Ford being 'off your rocker'. I'm sure there are people that like him who can still present as normal otherwise, but, especially at this point, there pretty much has to be something wrong with you by definition if you're still in his corner.

I'm not sure that's really the explanation either. They could be moderately intelligent, at least some of them, but on the whole they really seem to want to buy into simplistic answers to complex issues. That takes a certain amount of denial and stubbornness, but it's a failure of analytical thinking, not necessarily a sign of low intelligence.

I'm not convinced the video is a set-up or planned; Doug might be on it but he would never admit to that. His reaction to it doesn't suggest he knew it was coming, otherwise he'd be doing and saying things in response and so far he's been uncharacteristically quiet.

If there is some kind of plan behind the video, though, how it makes Kathy look is kind of irrelevant to the Ford clan: she's a lost cause and probably considered expendable in the bigger picture of keeping Rob and/or Doug in power.

In a lot of cases, I think the support for Ford is just people who feel disenfranchised saying "F you " to the people they don't like. Which is just about everyone. In this scenario, the worse Rob gets, and the more outraged people are, the more they like it.

Rob Ford thrives simply because the other candidates are weak. Olivia Chow is weak. John Tory is weak. I don't even remember his rivals from the previous election. Because they were weak. There is simply no serious competition to Rob Ford. Rob Ford has no vision, but the other candidates don't really either. I say this as an outsider. If I were to vote for mayor of Toronto, it would merely be choosing the lesser evil. Who would hurt the city the least? Maybe that is Chow, or Tory, I don't know. But that's basically Toronto municipal politics now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back