29     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 448     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 984     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick fact about Rob Ford's much hyped Cut the Waist Challenge: The Sun didn't write about it. They covered every other weigh in and kept up the hype. It's right up their news as entertainment alley.

Ford didn't take any questions after his weigh in and only offered two words: "I've plateaued" Sounds like somebody who's ready to quit. I bet there will be a weight increase next week, or the scale will be gone by mid week, again not covered by The Sun.

Was he ever arrested for that, though? I was being careful to only list the allegations of criminal behaviour for which he has been arrested. It might seem like hair-splitting and unwarranted courtesy given the identity of the target, but when draggin someone's name through the mud I think it's important to be careful and accurate.

Oh, not arrested, no. the slander's on me then.

I think he's a terrible Mayor and I find his ethics and personal behaviour questionable for a person in public office but I do hope he does an about face and continues with "Cut the Waist" - and I wish both of them luck. It's good for their health and I think it sets a good example for Toronto citizens to work toward losing weight, especially if one or both of them are successful. A country with fully one quarter of it's population overweight to obese (2005 stats.) is very dangerous for living shorter, sicker lives plus the associated health costs down the road could break the health care system if the stats continue to rise.

Because I'm using my real name here, I can't point out exactly who, but I got a strong impression from one councillor on Ford's side that they are becoming increasingly uneasy with Ford's make belief politics. At the next opportunity, at least one more of Ford's councillors will defect to the side of sanity.

We've got 3 years to go. Before the budget leading up to the 2014 election year, Ford will have no friends left. I think that besides Doug, Mammoliti will stick around 'til the end but it's going to be fun watching him stab Ford in the back once he has no use for him and Ford's an election year liability.

Because I'm using my real name here, I can't point out exactly who, but I got a strong impression from one councillor on Ford's side that they are becoming increasingly uneasy with Ford's make belief politics. At the next opportunity, at least one more of Ford's councillors will defect to the side of sanity.

We've got 3 years to go. Before the budget leading up to the 2014 election year, Ford will have no friends left. I think that besides Doug, Mammoliti will stick around 'til the end but it's going to be fun watching him stab Ford in the back once he has no use for him and Ford's an election year liability.

Milczyn? Just a guess.

Quick fact about Rob Ford's much hyped Cut the Waist Challenge: The Sun didn't write about it. They covered every other weigh in and kept up the hype. It's right up their news as entertainment alley.

Ford didn't take any questions after his weigh in and only offered two words: "I've plateaued" Sounds like somebody who's ready to quit. I bet there will be a weight increase next week, or the scale will be gone by mid week, again not covered by The Sun.

I agree. Very selective, but, considering it's the Sun, not at all surprising. Thankfully, CTV had video footage of it. I also wonder if he actually did 'plateau', as he put it. As far as I could see no one else saw the actual reading on the scale. Maybe he actually gained some weight. In my opinion he behaved like a petulant little boy, making a beeline for his office, seemingly in a huff. Behaviour unbecoming of an adult, let alone a Mayor of a major metropolitan city.

Last edited:

Milczyn? Just a guess.

I think Holyday has been biting his tongue for a long time.

Yeah Doug Holyday is bit of the reality check for this administration (re: the quip about council being irrevelant)- and do recall he actually voted against making TTC an essential service for fears that it will lead to much higher labour costs.

AoD

Milczyn? Just a guess.

It's public now so "yes".

I have my feelings about yet another councillor. I bumped into him at the special meeting and we chatted quickly. I expressed my disappointment in his following of Ford and he indicated that he's "not fully on side with Ford" indicating that he may begin to distance himself soon.

I don't know Holyday personally so I haven't gotten a feel for his loyalty but you're right, he seems to be the voice of reason in Ford Nation. If he falls, the whole house of cards will fall apart. First Stintz, the highest profile team Ford Councillor then the Deputy Mayor? Ford will be completely isolated within a year at most.

Last edited:
Okay, so I can mention one more name because I got the information from a third party. There are at least 3 councillors that I know of who will not be complicit in going against Council's wishes and will begin to distance themselves from Ford. Besides Milczyn and a councillor who I cannot name (because I heard it directly from that councillor), I'm very confident that Denzil Minnan-Wong will not support the Mayor on his Save Our Subways campaign.

Ford already lost Stintz and Parker (TTC chair and Deputy Speaker respectively) and both Milczyn and Minnan-Wong along with one other right wing councillor are set to jump ship. Budget chief Mike Del Grande and Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday have shown indications of buckling. Del Grande in wanting to leave the budget chief position and Holyday jumping in to temper the Mayor's comments.

The house of cards is about to fall down. This is unprecedented in our city. It will be interesting to see the city being run by City Council and not the Mayor. Rob and Doug will still get the spotlight in the media but they're going to have fewer and fewer councillors standing behind them at press conferences.

All very interesting and thanks for the insight.

I get the impression from the latest salvo (the "save our subways" bs) that this is the beginning of Doug Ford's campaign for provincial office. It will be interesting to see how the provincial government and provincial NDP deal with him and whether the latter will bring down the government any time soon. Cleary, dim Tim Hudak is anxious to capitalize on whatever idiocy the Fords can create.

I get the impression from the latest salvo (the "save our subways" bs) that this is the beginning of Doug Ford's campaign for provincial office.

Does Doug think that subways are an election winner in Etobicoke? That seems silly to me, especially since I doubt very much that the Tories would be willing to promise any more money for transit in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back