1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 443     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
He really doesn't listen to himself, does he? Unless he has no concept of what a scandal is.

Well, it's not exactly difficult to explain his "thinking" here: It's not a scandal if he does it. Rules and laws are for suckers, and it's only ever bad if his political enemies are the ones breaking them. Might makes right. Etc.

Last edited:
Posted by "the lemur":
"Minitrue seems to have anticipated the Sun though: 'Here were produced rubbishy newspapers containing almost nothing except sport, crime and astrology'."

And to add, accident scene photos. Or, at least they used to. I stopped buying it years ago.

Not just accident photos. At least once or twice a month the front page used to be a close-up of a senior citizen who'd been beaten up. Maybe it's still that way---I tend to look away from the Sun boxes these days so as not to get myself riled up.

He really doesn't listen to himself, does he? Unless he has no concept of what a scandal is.

I think it's more that he just knows that unless it's slander or otherwise implicates him in a crime, there are pretty much no repercussions for anything he says. Doug Ford said we'll never see Rob or him in scandal. This is obviously ridiculous. But aside from voting him out in October, what are we going to do about it?

Did he sort of imply that our northern border was Hwy 7?

I suspect many would not know it is actually Steeles.

He threw in that pitch for "strong Mayor System" thing again.

The irony is that BECAUSE of Rob Ford they will NEVER EVER implement a strong mayor system - that - or it will come in hand-in-hand with a recall apparatus.

I think it's more that he just knows that unless it's slander or otherwise implicates him in a crime, there are pretty much no repercussions for anything he says. Doug Ford said we'll never see Rob or him in scandal. This is obviously ridiculous. But aside from voting him out in October, what are we going to do about it?

I think we have to make sure that nobody from that family EVER gets a shot at politics again...

The irony is that BECAUSE of Rob Ford they will NEVER EVER implement a strong mayor system.

Don't be so sure about that. People are stupid and/or have short memories. Recall the corruption under Lastman, and Miller's advocacy for a strong mayor system only a few years later. IMO it was one of Miller few missteps, but I don't really want to rehash THAT discussion.

Not just accident photos. At least once or twice a month the front page used to be a close-up of a senior citizen who'd been beaten up. Maybe it's still that way---I tend to look away from the Sun boxes these days so as not to get myself riled up.

If you get a chance to look at papers from the early 1970's, or even beyond that, I believe you will agree that the blood and gore on the front-page of all our city papers has been toned down somewhat over the years.

Funny story I remember a guy telling me. They had been sent to a "Child-struck P.I.". The photographer must have arrived on scene just after the ambulance had departed for Sick Kids. So in the paper - I do not know which one - there's a pic of a tricycle under the wheels of an Oldsmobile.

But, the guy told me the child was actually much too old to ride a tric., and had in fact been hit while running across the street!

I guess the lesson I learned from that story was not to necessarily believe everything you don't see with your own eyes! :D

He threw in that pitch for "strong Mayor System" thing again.

The irony is that BECAUSE of Rob Ford they will NEVER EVER implement a strong mayor system - that - or it will come in hand-in-hand with a recall apparatus.

I have no problem with that, as long as the super-mayor is elected by the members of council, not directly by the public. Neither Ford would ever be elected mayor under those conditions.

Well, it's exactly difficult to explain his "thinking" here: It's not a scandal if he does it. Rules and laws are for suckers, and it's only ever bad if his political enemies are the ones breaking them. Might makes right. Etc.

Their definition of a "scandal" is a politician using taxpayer money for their own benefit. Full stop. I've seen Rob and Doug say several times that Rob will never be involved in a scandal, he will never take a dime of taxpayers' money. There's always a condition attached with these guys, just like Rob won't get drunk in public*

*"at the ACC".

I hope I'm not the only one to find the exploitation of Ben Johnson terribly sad. My initial reaction was to laugh at the obvious absurdity of yet another day at the Ford Family City Hall Circus, but then to think of this poor, naive man, clearly of very limited intellect and judgment, being held up to such ridicule by a couple of shameless, scheming scumbags for cheap, divisive points....ugh.

I hope I'm not the only one to find the exploitation of Ben Johnson terribly sad. My initial reaction was to laugh at the obvious absurdity of yet another day at the Ford Family City Hall Circus, but then to think of this poor, naive man, clearly of very limited intellect and judgment, being held up to such ridicule by a couple of shameless, scheming scumbags for cheap, divisive points....ugh.

Totally agree.

Yeah... is a bit pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back