1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank God! I have been in a bit of a panic since last weeks OPP announcement, thinking this would bolster Ford support, and I haven't seen any recent polls. I could relax if I could believe there isn't a chance Ford will be re-elected.

The idea that Ford is a serious candidate has been overblown by everyone, including his fellow candidates who want to use anti-Ford sentiment to their advantage. But the idea he will be re-elected mayor is laughable. The Forum polls used are also heavily skewed to the elderly, and the make up of the next election is likely going to be non-traditional and turnout will be abnormally high.

Regarding MetroMan, here's two recent examples of where he gave a heads up that turned out to be something rather than nothing:
Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO Mar 11
Further confirmation and more details coming in from the Laschinger camp. Chow will resign her MP seat tomorrow, register for Mayor Thurs.

https://twitter.com/MetroManTO/status/443580397775908864
That was a full 12 hours before the media reported it.

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO Mar 5
Just a gut feeling but something significant seems very imminent about Ford and Brazen 2.

https://twitter.com/MetroManTO/status/441095324031930368
Hours later it was announced that the OPP are involved.

Yes, MM has been wrong about things but he's also been right. He's not just some random "unfuckwithable"-type of wackjob on the internet spewing nonsense. I still have faith.

Tend to agree with you. Listening to CFRB this morning...Christie Blatchford mentioned that at a recent Etobicoke speaking engagement she asked for a show of hands from those that voted for Rob Ford in last election...good part of the room raised their hand...when asked who would vote for him today apparently only two people raised their's.

That hurts. It seems that the Fords are really being their own worst enemy.

Does that mean that "subways subways subways" is a common expression in newspeak?

That seems far too verbose for Newspeak, which was all about eliminating unnecessary words (e.g., no need for 'bad' if we can have 'ungood' as the logical opposite of 'good').

Minitrue seems to have anticipated the Sun though: 'Here were produced rubbishy newspapers containing almost nothing except sport, crime and astrology'.

Re MM, I prefer Jimmi. Short, informative, qualified posts, no sensationalizing. Immediate clear idea of how trustworthy the information is.

+1, because Jimmi is around to answer questions and has had a connection with some of the key people in Ford's circle. So even in between the "big events" he's providing useful background info to this ongoing saga. I also appreciate the people with legal knowledge who take time to explain the criminal trial process. Hopefully, we'll get to hear more from them soon.:D

As crazy as it sounds, this theory feels right. We need to take note the next time he blames hackers.

I think Doug actually said: Put the dots together.
He can't even get a simple saying right.

The Fords remind me of people from my old Eastern Ave neighbourhood circa 1975. The word-play jokes members were toying with a few days ago like "intensive purposes" and the like are typical of people either do not take the time to listen or fully comprehend what is said or written. I'm not sure if it is impatience, or just a stubborn unwillingness to self-correct, but both Doug and Rob Ford utter some hilarious Malaprops or eggcorns. I wish we had a list of them all.

As crazy as it sounds, this theory feels right. We need to take note the next time he blames hackers.

I think Doug actually said: Put the dots together.
He can't even get a simple saying right.

Well, it's easier to connect them if you put them together first. Otherwise it'd be far too hard for Rob.

If they did, they would already know that there has developed a huge difference in tone and quality of posts here compared to the other UT threads.

That happens with any popular topic. I follow the MH370 discussion on the Internet and the threads about it are very different from other threads on aviation forums. Strong moderation helps, but when there is a wave of interest there's going to be a sea of voices, I'm comfortable calling that a natural law. The interesting thing about humans is that we're all a little bit different. Some people like to only talk about multiple-verified facts, some like to gossip, some like to inform, some like to diffuse the situation with humour, and some like to complain about whatever methods the others are using.

As long as we're not all insulting each other and their mothers, I think you're just going to have to accept that the ... dynamic range of the conversation will be a bit wider for a topic with a lot of interest.

For what it's worth, it's much better here than on reddit.

So - ask yourselves this; why are you here? For the cat lol photos and youtube film clips which are available almost everywhere else? Or for the sharing of ideas and theories on the subject of Ford's Toronto?

Both. This thread, even at its worst, is what has sustained me through these awful years. I take the good with the bad (and sometimes scroll more quickly than others).

Also, I miss MTown: a guy who adjusted his language parameters after offending some people in the first few weeks. Also, he's a very good gloater. I'm terrible at it, but to watch MTown gloat about the stupidity and worthlessness of Ford and the Nayshun gives me the same aw-shucks feeling as watching a toddler play in a puddle.

The Ben Johnson appointment is rather brilliant in many ways actually. Ford's base will go for him.

Eff that. The real brilliant bit was bringing in that caveman, who IIRC is a veterinarian and can write prescriptions for Ford. Also, I hear he chefs up some yummy hot dogs.

I just have to share a fun anecdote with you from this morning:

While taking my 3yo son to school, we saw a whole bunch of police cars, firetrucks, etc. Flashing lights...sirens...all that fun stuff.

My son said, "Maybe they're catching bad guys. Maybe they're catching Rob Ford in a net."

He's the new Metroman, apparently.
How cute! When you think about it, a kid can just accept certain things, like having a "bad guy" as mayor. When we were kids reading about the corrupt mayors of Gotham City or some such cartoon/comic scenario, we didn't stop to think "how did he get elected to such a position? can't they remove him?" We just accepted that a bad guy was in power and an extrajudicial superhero was needed to save everyone.

Watched video of the announcement this morning on the morning news and Doug was standing in the office doorway, RIGHT BEHIND THEM! That to me says he knows exactly what Rob said, exactly who these people were and why they were there and was fully on board.

Well, it could be that what they agreed he would say and what Rob actually said 5 minutes later are two different things. We've seen Doug surprised by Rob before, and have heard from former staffers & associates that there's often friction between the bros.

A lot of Toronto Paramedics voted ( although since the Residency Requirement was removed years ago, very few live in 416 - some goes for TPS and double for TFS ) for Rob because he promised them what they wanted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba3WdD-iLa4

Listen to his then Deputy Mayor say, "we're not about to let that happen."

Last edited:
The Fords remind me of people from my old Eastern Ave neighbourhood circa 1975. The word-play jokes members were toying with a few days ago like "intensive purposes" and the like are typical of people either do not take the time to listen or fully comprehend what is said or written. I'm not sure if it is impatience, or just a stubborn unwillingness to self-correct, but both Doug and Rob Ford utter some hilarious Malaprops or eggcorns. I wish we had a list of them all.

It's how people who don't read speak. If you've never seen a word or phrase in print, you're probably very likely to mangle it verbally. Doug in particular makes the mistake of thinking that he actually is articulate, and that's what gets him into trouble.

Both. This thread, even at its worst, is what has sustained me through these awful years. I take the good with the bad (and sometimes scroll more quickly than others).

Also, I miss MTown: a guy who adjusted his language parameters after offending some people in the first few weeks. Also, he's a very good gloater. I'm terrible at it, but to watch MTown gloat about the stupidity and worthlessness of Ford and the Nayshun gives me the same aw-shucks feeling as watching a toddler play in a puddle.

Me too. And juniorfox, of the Bathurst & Queen blog (which is also dormant since November). What happened to those guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back