News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Folks, we've always been at war with Eastasia!"

Floats through my mind every time Doug disavows something.

heh.

Doug, it was allegory, not a how-to manual.

/just in case he's reading this.
//and in case he actually is...
al·le·go·ry
ˈaləˌgôrē/
noun
noun: allegory; plural noun: allegories

a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one.

Many people now most active in this thread arrived here from elsewhere - places like Reddit and lately some place where they must regularly trade juvenile images - because they were informed that at UrbanToronto there was a guy named MetroMan who had the inside scoop on the Rob Ford story. And they saw over a couple thousand pages of prior conversation and regarded that as the foundation of MetroMan's reputation. Honestly, I can't recall what aspect of the story he truly broke here, but I can think of several instances where his predictions have fallen flat (Rob Ford will be taken away in handcuffs, Karen Stintz won't be running for Mayor, for example). In my estimation he's always wandered wildly in his speculation. His schtick has always been to present that speculation as the result of inside info, but I don't know what the basis for that is, other than the confident authoritative manner in which he speculates. Little harm really, except that it skews the conversation as his fanbase tries to connect the dots back to MetroMan's revelations or explain away his misinformation. Really, it's a little much to think that Bill Blair and his senior officers are using some guy on Twitter to either give Rob Ford a false sense of security or do political battle with the OPP. My guess is that they have no idea who MetroMan is. If they want to leak they'd go to a real journalist.

Thank you to those who 'correct' the real phrases with the RoFo/DoFo manglings...I have trouble remembering them and since I am hoping to use them in conversation, it helps to keep them fresh. Btw, this one above is a favourite. Cracks my family up every time.

Yes, the Fords speak goodly at times. :)

More like:

Well put. I wonder if DoFo knows where Winnepeg is?

Does that mean that "subways subways subways" is a common expression in newspeak?

Yep. there's a proper name that alludes me at the moment but it has been blatant in Conservative/Republican (politicians mostly) talking points for over a decade.

Last edited:
Where is this Ford Nation base we keep hearing about? Other than the 1 or 2 same names I see in newspaper messages boards (HUNN & aquafier at the Star for example) most everyone else appears to be m.i.a. It's one thing to defend an individual but to actually vote for them is quite another. The overwhelming majority of people who comment on a Ford story are aghast at his behaviour. 4 years ago the message boards were full of support for this man.

I am convinced at this point that Ford is unelectable. He's tainted himself so badly that an overwhelming majority of people recognize that he is not fit to govern. Even those who don't care about his behaviour recognise that he has not been able to work with others.
I see the occasional tweet these days that says something like "My ____ (dad, buddy, co-worker, uncle) just said he likes Rob Ford" which indicates to me that the author is incredulous that anybody would. Ford has become the fringe candidate and there is months left to fall from there.

The people who tend to think Ford is fit to lead now, at least in my world, are not Toronto voters. Those nightclubs and arenas he likes to visit are full of tourists and teens. They are his receptive audience. The fame seekers and the meme followers. I still think there has to be a vigilance in making sure Ford does not gain converts, but he's done in Toronto.

Are any of you convinced of the opposite?

Tend to agree with you. Listening to CFRB this morning...Christie Blatchford mentioned that at a recent Etobicoke speaking engagement she asked for a show of hands from those that voted for Rob Ford in last election...good part of the room raised their hand...when asked who would vote for him today apparently only two people raised their's.

No offense, you are on a moderated forum. We aren't putting the matter to a vote.

MoD

I am glad you are back.

+1. My guess is that many members here do not actvely follow or post on the other Toronto Issues' threads on UT. If they did, they would already know that there has developed a huge difference in tone and quality of posts here compared to the other UT threads. UT members and lurkers benefit from moderation; it keeps the conversation on track, informative, inclusive and civil, unlike the free for all in newspaper comment sections. Thanks for stepping in!

I can only imagine what their "brain-storming" sessions must be like.

Remember the flooding last spring? Seriously, you need a sense of equality to do that properly.

Probably familiar with the one runs off Islington south of Humber Creek.

:)

Tend to agree with you. Listening to CFRB this morning...Christie Blatchford mentioned that at a recent Etobicoke speaking engagement she asked for a show of hands from those that voted for Rob Ford in last election...good part of the room raised their hand...when asked who would vote for him today apparently only two people raised their's.

Thank God! I have been in a bit of a panic since last weeks OPP announcement, thinking this would bolster Ford support, and I haven't seen any recent polls. I could relax if I could believe there isn't a chance Ford will be re-elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back