267     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 387     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
A digression from Ford, but doesn't it seem a bit weird to say that only the rich are allowed to procreate? Procreation is fundamental function of biology, and money is an artificial construct. And kids are only "expensive" because the society we've constructed lacks the essential supports for families. What's next, round up those below a certain income level and neuter them? This is absolutely a Ford Nation/neo-con argument.

I'm not saying only the rich... Look, if you want to change society, go for it. I'll support you. I'm just saying that within the current framework, if you can't afford to raise a child, it's irresponsible to have one.

I'm not talking about rounding anyone up. I'm not talking about getting rid of credit cards, or intoxicants, or uteruses - whatever things allow people to make irresponsible decisions about money or children or whatever. I am only saying that it is irresponsible. It doesn't have to be something as major as a child, as I said I think buying a new TV when you're broke is irresponsible, I think adopting a pet when you can't afford to keep it is irresponsible, I think buying a house or a car that you can't afford is irresponsible. You don't have to be rich to do those things (though it makes it easier).

And with that, I think we should stop - because I have *no idea* how we got here.

Last edited:
I think you nailed it.
Another consideration that some people don't like to hear is that Chow, as left wing candidate and a woman has the most to lose by turning off centre-right votes. I though she out of all of them did attempt to hint at Ford's issues (based on what I read -not the actual debate as I didn't see it). Her position is precarious because she' polling well and doesn't want to turn anyone off.

I think this is very true. And she was the hardest on him. She is clearly his most formidable opponent, and yet, as the sole left wing candidate, the easiest for him to dismiss. This makes her role in confronting him rather problematic.

However they handle it, I really hope they drop the folksy approach as their way of referencing his unfitness for public office. There’s something cloying and school-marmish about their “no role model for my grand daughters†shtick. I just don’t see ‘the outrage and disappointment of a grandmother’ to be anywhere near good enough.

I've said this before but if you have not run for public office, or worked closely with someone who did, it's hard to understand how difficult it is to do exactly the right thing. Once a candidate indicates they are running, the emails, letters and phone calls from concerned citizens and whacko's begin to flood in. Some of them act like "you" are their blessed saviour, and others are incredibly hostile. Everyone offers advice and opinions and wants to stop them to talk about politics. The media writes things that don't square with what people are telling you and sometimes what they report is just wrong.

No doubt. I know I actively resisted the urge to contact the friend of mine who is very high up in Chow’s campaign team to offer my version of “Wtf man!! This is what you need to do to winâ€.

I also don’t doubt being in the thick of a big campaign is incredibly disorienting, and it must be extremely difficult to know the 'when and what' of pulling the trigger on a direct attack on your opponent. And women do have a harder time of it. Shrill, harridan, harpy, the B word, etc. are all forever waiting in the wings.

There’s also the problem of the ‘wit of the staircase’, and the sense of lost opportunity when one is seen to miss the perfect opening or line of attack. For some, this can really increase under pressure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'esprit_de_l'escalier

Finally some people truly don’t know how to go for the jugular. They just don’t. It’s not who they are. I truly hope Chow has it in her, when the moment and the need does arise.

I've been there and I can tell you that by the end, the candidates are exhausted, mentally and physically. I know everyone loves to pile the hate on for politicians (and some of them deserve it) but it takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there in such a public way knowing that all that time, money and effort may be for nothing - or worse it could hurt you financially for years to come in lost job opportunities with people who are far too partisan. Today I am still called "that Liberal woman" where I live which ticks me off because I tend to vote for candidates, not political brands.

I say it's way too early to heap scorn on these candidates or to declare Ford a viable option. He's not and by election day, we'll be saying "Ford who?" as we congratulate the new Mayor.

i agree that no real harm was done last night. They could have gone all, “I’ll tear his eyes out, I’ll rip his throat out†etc. and we would still be six months or whatever it is to the finish line.

The sad fact is that Rob Ford is going to benefit from these debates some of the time. In a certain sense, he is always going to benefit, because it humanizes him, makes him seem less insane. And the setting, with him standing side by side with normal human beings, dressed like a normal human being, is alway going to be useful to him because he does, on some level, still resemble a human being.

In a perfect world, he will turn up for at least a few off them totally hammered, and that would help take the 'benefit by association' factor down a notch.

This wasn't a council meeting at city hall, it was a campaign event.

City employees are verboten from working on campaigns. This should bite him in the ass.

They are allowed to do so on their own time, out side of work hours, and such.

The question is are they being listed properly as volunteers and times of that volunteering.

I'm wondering if Ford's camp are compiling a database of photos of known hecklers to be used at the campaign launch and other events in order to refuse people entry?

I was just at the sit in, and a long time staffer came over (she started during Art Eggleton's mayoralty.) She told us that she spoke with Cllr Pam M.after the Island airport mtg. Ford apparently leaned over her and said something along the lines of: Oh Pammy, you are the best 'tight end' here at city hall" in that snide, smirking way of his.

Unbelievable.
If she's not a football fan, I can imagine what she thought he was saying. What an idiot.

I do realize that... but as I said - What's the consequence? There never seems to be any. Ford pretty much does whatever he wants.
So far, yes.

He's pretty much exclusively using city staffers for his campaign though. He didn't last time. In the early days of the campaign that might slide but there is no way he will be allowed to get the city to staff his campaign as it wears on.

That will get investigated and dealt with for sure.

So far, yes.

He's pretty much exclusively using city staffers for his campaign though. He didn't last time. In the early days of the campaign that might slide but there is no way he will be allowed to get the city to staff his campaign as it wears on.

How will it be dealt with? I guess my point is that there doesn't seem to actually BE any meaningful penalties for any of these infractions. They all seem to exist on the honour system... and the Ford's have none.

If rules don't have penalties for non-compliance they may as well not exist.

Last edited:
So far, yes.

Yes, I'm sure he'll get a stern taking-to.

It's probably a grey area. Since it's outside of work hours, if they're not getting paid overtime and weren't compelled to do it - or won't testify that they were - it's probably above-board. Unless there's something I'm missing here?

How will it be dealt with? I guess my point is that there doesn't seem to actually BE any meaningful penalties for any of these infractions. They all seem to exist on the honour system... and the Ford's have none.

If rules don't have penalties for non-compliance they as may as well not exist.
I'm not sure what mechanisms are in play there. There are certainly campaign finance rules that can lead to fines. It might be possible for council to cut his budget if he is abusing his staffing privileges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back