113     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 513     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question that might be silly but I really would like to know...when the garbage collection gets/got contracted out, what happens to the union workers?

The City finds them jobs in other departments. I don't believe anyone lost their job due to contracting out, but I could be wrong.

The City finds them jobs in other departments. I don't believe anyone lost their job due to contracting out, but I could be wrong.

Generally they are first offered a buyout, and then if they don't accept the buyout, the city can opt to let the contract run out and then go with a different source. I don't believe they have any obligation to find people jobs in other departments, but I could be wrong. I believe in the case of garbage privatization, at the least 300 temporary workers lost their jobs (or at least the articles I read suggested that's what would happen, they were all written from before privatization).

Generally they are first offered a buyout, and then if they don't accept the buyout, the city can opt to let the contract run out and then go with a different source. I don't believe they have any obligation to find people jobs in other departments, but I could be wrong. I believe in the case of garbage privatization, at the least 300 temporary workers lost their jobs (or at least the articles I read suggested that's what would happen, they were all written from before privatization).

I haven't seen a recent Collective Agreement, but I do know that there was a provision for contracting out services. The non-union temporary workers would be let go, and full time union staff is offered a buy out. Then I believe they place them in other departments where there are vacancies. Generally, the City doesn't lay off full time workers if they can find them other positions.

I'm sure that by the next debate the candidates will have a better idea as to how to attack Ford. Is there a list to be found online, of the various debates to follow? Thanks in advance ;)

I'm sure that by the next debate the candidates will have a better idea as to how to attack Ford. Is there a list to be found online, of the various debates to follow? Thanks in advance ;)

How/why were they not prepared this time??

That was just awful to watch. A pox on all their houses. How hard is it for one of them to kick at Ford with some simple facts:

"You say that you have the best attendance record on council, so let's take May 8th 2013. You showed up to council an hour late, skipped the evening session completely and missed seventeen votes. However, you did manage to call your drug dealer eight times. Must have been a fun night, because the next day you didn't show up until after lunch. How is that respecting the taxpayer?"

Last edited:
Could only stomach watching a small portion - just horrible. Why even have a moderator? And all the "Umm, gee, sir, you don't, uh, seem to be a good role model" stuff was infuriating. I like to think I'd be all "bitch please, you spent all summer drinking vodka in the woods with a drug dealer." Someone truly needs to not mince words here - I could literally list about 15 RoFo offenses off the top of my head right now, several of them illegal, all of them unethical, and somehow, nothing came up?

That was just awful to watch. A pox on all their houses. How hard is it for one of them to kick at Ford with some simple facts:

"You say that you have the best attendance record on council, so let's take May 8th 2013. You showed up to council an hour late, skipped the evening session completely and missed seventeen votes. However, you did manage to call your drug dealer eight times. Must have been a fun night, because the next day you didn't show up until after lunch. How is that respecting the taxpayer?"

Pow! Suck it, Ford.

We all need to get these questions and statements into the public discourse.

PERFECT! And while he may be able to claim a decent council attendance - even one superior to others' (good lord, how were they tripped up by that? How?!) - his attendance at high profile city functions and even at his own office during regular working hours is shamefully bad. This and other angles need to be worked on HUGELY for the next debate.

animatronic for mayor! That's exactly what should be shoved in his face on camera. ALL. THE. TIME.

All of them were too old-school stodgy pro politician, yammering on about nothing; deflecting questions; not ripping Ford's throat out.

Dear lurking campaign workers for Chow, Soknacki, Stintz, and Tory,

Don't just snicker at this, take this to your next meeting with the boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back