39     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 425     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 880     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the risk of sounding naive...why is Rob pushing so hard to defend his position as mayor? Aside from Doug pushing him on, don't you think Rob would just prefer to hold the CEO for CFO whatever position at Deco and drink and party to his hearts content? That way he wouldn't have ppl dogging him and dealing with all this crap, I'm serious when I ask that...I don't get it. Maybe he is resigned to the fact that he HAS to stay in politics like his father, who knows? If it were me I would take a big chill and come back later. I just don't get what drives him

This is the the psychological narrative of this story, which I personally find as fascinating as the criminal element.

It starts with Doug Sr.'s socio-economic upbringing, and twists and turns all the way through to the many, many pathological issues that weave these characters together.

For sure this is slightly O/T and counter-intuitive to boot, but here's who should play Rob Ford in the inevitable cinematic chronicle.

Picture 9.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Have you ever spent any amount of time there? Yes, there are good people there - the sons and daughters of mentally disturbed and socially corrupt people. I have known very, very good people from that area, and actually spent a lot of time there just "hanging out". I felt comfortable enough to take shrooms and wander around at night when I was a teenager. Pass by a guy in his hoodie, he pretends like he has a weapon, puts his hands in his pockets and shoots us a glare, and we walk a wide berth around him. I knew the most angelic girl I've ever met from that area, her parents were drug addicts and her brother was involved in some stupid shit, but she ... she was something else. It's as if she had a force field that repelled negativity. Her name was Miranda.

I knew many people like that, but the majority were not people like that.

It's not stereotyping, it's just that kind of place.

Though with those Dawes videos, keep in mind that those apparent (?) "Ford supporters" might also be "Janet Davis supporters". And Janet Davis is Ford's political polar opposite, and not the sort to "do a Perruzza", either. And yet, she's part of this--what's the message? Or messages?

That. Was. Awesome.

Doug is going to shoot someone before this campaign is over.

Well, I can certainly see this tipping into his physically attacking people, or at least uttering his own vessel-popping version of a Rob Ford rant.

Though re the "shooting" part: didn't Doug Sr. (according to Doolittle) have a collection of firearms? Does the family still have it? (*Now* we're opening the door to scary speculation...)

I can actually see that. My pick for the role of Rob Ford is Patton Oswalt. Although he might come off too sympathetic.

Since he popped up in a death hoax on the weekend, I'm thinking Wayne Knight (Newman from Seinfeld) might be able to pull it off.

Well, I can certainly see this tipping into his physically attacking people, or at least uttering his own vessel-popping version of a Rob Ford rant.

Though re the "shooting" part: didn't Doug Sr. (according to Doolittle) have a collection of firearms? Does the family still have it? (*Now* we're opening the door to scary speculation...)

If this was the US you know he would have a concealed carry.

Shooting may be a bit much - how about his political career ends somewhere between ending a scrum by pushing a (female) reporter over and pulling a baseball bat out of his trunk and going crazy.

If this was the US you know he would have a concealed carry.

He would not be the first councillor who carried. Maybe he still does?

"In March 1992, Gardner shot and wounded a man who was attempting to rob his bakery. It was later revealed that Gardner had a special "protection-of-life" permit that allowed him to carry a loaded weapon."

"On January 30, 2014, Gardner registered as a candidate in Toronto's fall 2014 mayoral election."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Gardner

Last edited:
Can you imagine what it must be like for Rob being Doug's baby-brother since their father passed away?

Especially now that any political aspirations Doug may have entertained are now swirling the bowl, largely thanks to Rob's poor behavior.
No doubt Doug will see it this way, but let's not forget that if he'd grabbed Rob by his collar and dragged him to rehab in May... or even as late as Nov/Dec, this wouldn't have had to have any negative effect on Doug's ambitions. In fact, he might have been seen as a hero.
(though I don't know if anything happens in the Ford family without Mama's approval.)

Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having - Mitch Hedberg

What I want to know is, did Rob Ford make an effort to quit drinking and doing drugs? If so, and obviously he failed at that (which does happen, people with issues fall off the wagon), is that something we can harshly criticize him for? If he was sober for awhile but slipped, isn't it wrong to add it to the list of things Ford lied to us about? The man needs help. If he had said "yes, I will never drink again" and then 10 minutes later he got wasted, then we should call him out on it. But should we if he made an effort and was unsuccessful?

Well no one wants to be an enabler, either. It's a bit of a balancing act. But to me the issue of today wasn't "Rob said he wouldn't drink again, but he lied" -- it was that Doug said that Rob never promised to stop drinking! That certainly deserves criticism and derision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back