642     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 718     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - ironically if you ever had anything at that bakery you wouldn't make it for a front of any kind - I wish they had a Commisso down in the CBD.

Damn... now I'm getting hungry :(

Lot's of nasty stories about that place, and those people. I'm sure they make a good veal sandwich, but knowing where their money is going/coming from, I wouldn't eat there. And I'm not generally political about that sort of thing.

Lot's of nasty stories about that place, and those people. I'm sure they make a good veal sandwich, but knowing where their money is going/coming from, I wouldn't eat there. And I'm not generally political about that sort of thing.

Giuseppe Racco (co-owner - name on the sign) was found shot to death at the Eddystone Road location back in 2000.

He's not even the only co-owner to have died of lead poisoning while on the premises.

And NOW has the 3030 story up, complete with Rob daring someone to drink his triple-whiskey...
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=196612

Kudos to Goldsbie for digging it up but the writing is pretty sloppy. There was a "small handful" of people in the bar; as opposed to a large handful? Do they have 17 beers on tap or is it "the kind of place" that has 17 beers on tap? Why is the whiskey story repeated?

That said - WTF is with Ford? How does he go from Scarborough to a bar in the junction? I understand he has a substance abuse problem but if he has people with him, how does he keep ending up in public situations and then thinking no one will know? What does Campaign Manager Extraordinaire Doug Ford make of his brother's increased public drunkenness, absences and disappearances? When will this nightmare end?

(There's also something comedic about how innocent bar owners, from here to Coquitlam, are getting dragged into this. If I owned a bar anywhere in Canada I feel like we'd have to have a staff meeting about our new "What if Rob Ford" comes in policy. That way they'd know what to do if he's already drunk, getting drunk, hanging with Lisi, bright red, normal coloured, driving, disappearing into bathrooms, when they can talk to the press and what they can talk about etc. It's all so complicated!)

I'd agree with this. Ford's position on transit is to just talk about it. He has not done anything beyond that. He would be just as happy if nothing gets built in his lifetime.

That's pretty much what I've always thought his view. Build a subway? Great, doesn't matter where. His cronies get a cut of the property sales, he gets a cut of that, the poorer members of Ford Nation get to feel they have the subway they deserve and the more well-off ones don't have to see the poor ones travelling above ground.

Don't get to build a subway? No big deal - transit's for poor people and the downtown elites anyway. Screw 'em. We'll build a stadium or something instead.

Man, I went to grade and high school in Brampton with a guy whose last name was Ruso. His family owned a garden centre that, if I remember correctly, had two or three separate fires due to "electrical problems".

This wouldn't be the old garden centre at Queen Street and Chrysler Drive, would it?

And NOW has the 3030 story up, complete with Rob daring someone to drink his triple-whiskey...
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=196612

That said - WTF is with Ford? How does he go from Scarborough to a bar in the junction? I understand he has a substance abuse problem but if he has people with him, how does he keep ending up in public situations and then thinking no one will know? What does Campaign Manager Extraordinaire Doug Ford make of his brother's increased public drunkenness, absences and disappearances? When will this nightmare end?

The Junction is about the downtown elite-iest place he's turned up unannounced in since, I dunno, the Bier Markt? I keep hoping he'll set foot in a bar where he's really unwelcome. It'll be part of a soul-searching crosstown odyssey, looking to connect with the electorate - like that time he rode the subway after losing a vote, only this time he'll get lost. He'll show up alone, drunk and high, start running his mouth off à la ACC 2006 ... and someone from Downtown Latte Elite Pinko Nation will just deck him.

Actually that goes for Doug too.

Their veal "samiches";) were awesome!

I'd agree with this. Ford's position on transit is to just talk about it. He has not done anything beyond that. He would be just as happy if nothing gets built in his lifetime.

Now garbage.......that's a different matter and way easier to peddle his influence.

Not all the money in subways is about the land nearby... There is a lot of money in the building of a subway, many contractors do very well making holes for example or, laying track, building stations, and so on... GFL (the garbage collection company) has a hole digging and soil remediation subsidiary.
*cough* Doesn't most of the port lands need remediation? *cough*

It's really making sense now.
The Fo's have bosses.
Important bosses who don't take kindly to being told "no". That would help explain why Ro is refusing to yield to crushing public shame and anxiety. As for Do, I don't know... Maybe a streak of Steven Segall or something where he can take any shitstorm, while staying Zen-y.

If us internet PIs can connect these dots, why haven't the cops? Is Taverner really that good at putting out fires for the Fo's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back