639     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it looks like Ford's terror squad of FORD NATION were pretty much a no-show in Toronto, for this election. Maybe they were only a figment of Ford's distorted imagination.

Last edited:
If there are any two people in the world that I would hate to be right now, they are Tim Hudak and Rob Ford.

The "Ford Factor" (as the Globe and Mail puts it) helped to shut the PCs out in Toronto, in yesterday's provincial election. This development is stunning. Stunning, as we realize that the call to "Ford Nation" has yielded negative results for the PCs. At the end of the day, Ford Nation doesn't exist.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the unlikely event of a Ford-Hudak meeting. The verbal exchange would be something to witness.

Aside from all else, Rob Ford has no friends now. None.

But in a way you know what, what Hudak proposed is exactly the same kind of thing Fraud did - lower taxes without substantial pain on the service side. At the end of the day these promises comes back to haunt. Besides who is Hudak to talk - he went into the bed willingly, knowing his worship's incompetence.

Interestingly, Jim Flaherty vocal support for Hudak didn't help much either. One'd think it would have more of an impact in the 905 belt.

AoD

Last edited:
Good sign that Ontarians actually have a mind of their own, instead of the blind partisanship that is sometimes demonstrated by voters.

it's a good thing!

It seems like endorsements only work within the confines of the individual political groups

It's great to see that the internet comment sections of newspapers don't reflect public opinion. Sometimes looking at those things is like gazing into a sewer.

I'm glad to see that a large degree of level-headed, kindly common sense has prevailed. I'd like to think that this election is reflecting people's impatience with all the noxious, conservative poisons we've been fed over the last ten years - attack ads, smears, secrecy, degrading of rights, rusty old habits, paternalistic smugness and fear, fear, fear.

I also have to admit there's some joy in thinking Mr. Harper must be feeling a little wilted over his breakfast sausages and prayers this morning, and that Mr. Ford is probably looking under the carpet, logs, various rocks and discount adult entertainment parlours to try and locate Ford Nation.

A liberal majority would have been nice. But Mr. McGuinty has been pretty greasy during his tenure. I don't think it will hurt him to have to get more on the level. Hopefully the lively NDP showing will give him a poke when he needs it, and support when it's a good thing.

The amount of Orange in Northen Ontario is amazing. The blue belt around Toronto is pretty definite. It's quite something to think that Toronto has more in common with the vast north, than with the farmbelt right around it. Maybe we should have been building those connections to Thunder Bay instead of Vaughan.

Last edited:
All this, can we finally use the same argument that's been a prominent speaking point for a bit: more voters VOTED AGAINST McGuinty, yet he is still in government?!?! points to consider

Last edited:
All this, can we finally use the same argument that's been a prominent speaking point for a bit: more voters VOTED AGAINST the McGuinty, yet he is still in government?!?! points to consider

I was thinking how if there was only one Liberal minded party instead of two, then the votes would have looked overwhelmingly Liberal versus Conservative.

I was thinking how if there was only one Liberal minded party instead of two, then the votes would have looked overwhelmingly Liberal versus Conservative.

That would depend on how 'left' that liberal minded party be. Ontario, and canadians in general are still a very centrists voters. Ford was a knee jerk reaction to being taken too far left.

All that said, a minority government will really benefits the most amount of people. The parties don't like it due to the lack of 'power' they have, but it's great for check and balances

If there are any two people in the world that I would hate to be right now, they are Tim Hudak and Rob Ford.

The "Ford Factor" (as the Globe and Mail puts it) helped to shut the PCs out in Toronto, in yesterday's provincial election. This development is stunning. Stunning, as we realize that the call to "Ford Nation" has yielded negative results for the PCs. At the end of the day, Ford Nation doesn't exist.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the unlikely event of a Ford-Hudak meeting. The verbal exchange would be something to witness.

Aside from all else, Rob Ford has no friends now. None.

The Fords are quickly becoming political poison. I think we will now see a lot more councillors slowly put some distance between themselves and the Fords. Even if the Fords had no influence on this election at all, it's being perceived that way and few politicians will take the risk to be tied to Ford. I'd like to see how Mammolitti is gonna worm out of this.

Shocker Nation hopes to see the Fords dressed in tutus like Hyacinth Hippo from Fantasia, on a float at the next Pride parade, in an attempt to rehabilitate themselves.

Keep this in mind ...

Ford may be getting the 'ugliness' of his term out of the way early ... this whole budget debacle would likely be a mess for any administration to handle - complaints about taxes on when end or services on the other - the media will paint it negative either way.

Anyway, the point is in 1 to 2 years lets assume the dust settles, cuts have been made, taxes increase but not by much. What will happen the last 2 years of terms, maybe nothing much at all ? The population has short term memory - generally when a mayor stays out of the public spot light it's viewed positively.

So what I'm saying is maybe if the last 2 terms are relatively quiet, he may get more popular - as unfortunate as that is, I say that because, if you watched any of the debates last election, you'd probably pick a 10 year old over Ford. But the majority of the public don't see / care about that.

I'm not ready to write Ford off, if we were 2 years in the term I would but it's still the first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back