523     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 432     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 638     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If so that's a real dog-whistle way of putting it. Like, there's subtle and then there's indistinguishable.

Twitter forces concision on the tweeter.

Sad to note that it was a Toronto Sun editorial that not too long ago pronounced Ford's bid for re-election in terms of "Not now. Not ever."

I don't think the Sun editorial stance has changed since then. There's been no Sun editorial that renounced their official Ford disavowals. Columnists are always distinct from the editorial page, and don't have to toe the line.

This article is so very greasy, as is the Sun's abrupt reversal back into Ford's corner. Has anyone else following #TOpoli on Twitter noticed the change in Don Peat's tone as well? It's really scanning like he was told to stop being critical in any way of Ford. Like, this is absurd:

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 14m
Fun fact - Rob Ford only GTA mayor to take the stairs up to 2nd floor meeting - the rest took the elevator #TOpoli

Trying to avoid the press... again?

^Agreed.
Ford may drink because he is suppressing his true identity. But his sexuality is not our business. And he should not be made fun for it.
It is akin to the posting of all those women in skimpy outfits: salacious gossiping.
However, if the 'rumour' was that Ford was involved with under-aged teenagers, that needs to be clarified/investigated. But we needn't make fun of that either.
I do think sexuality is a personal issue, except in cases of politicians being blatantly homophobic while there is sizable proof that they are indeed gay themselves. I don't think Rob Ford meets that test.

Anyone who doesn't think Don Peat has earned the benefit of the doubt by now, well I don't know what to say to them. Yes, he writes for the Sun, but don't hold that against him. He has more than amply demonstrated that he's a quality journalist.

Actually, if Rob is really really serious about getting his weight down--he should try crack cocaine! He'll look like a million (i mean billion) bucks!
I don't know ... assuming he used crack on more than one occasion, it didn't seem to do much for his health. I would think cutting back on the number of pops in the basement has helped with the weight loss. I'm impressed that he's kept up the "new Rob" schtick this long but I expect it will all implode fairly soon. :)

Anyone who doesn't think Don Peat has earned the benefit of the doubt by now, well I don't know what to say to them. Yes, he writes for the Sun, but don't hold that against him. He has more than amply demonstrated that he's a quality journalist.

Can't speak for others but I am not questioning the quality of Peat's journalism. I'm actually saying the recent change in tone among Sun reporters overall has been so quick and so complete that it feels like a dictated clampdown that even reached up to someone of his stature. Of course bottom feeders like Strobel would be onboard.

Last edited:
I don't know ... assuming he used crack on more than one occasion, it didn't seem to do much for his health. I would think cutting back on the number of pops in the basement has helped with the weight loss. I'm impressed that he's kept up the "new Rob" schtick this long but I expect it will all implode fairly soon. :)

i've known guys like him. some men can lose weight quite quickly if they put their mind to it, and it gives them a bit of a shape-shifting persona....

however, this kind of behaviour is almost always followed by a weight gain which is just as rapid. we'll see if he can keep it up once he is in the thick of the campaign.

anyway....its all totally beside the point. who gives a flock how fat he is? those headlines never said: Rob Ford Caught in Fat Eating Scandal.

it has absolutely nothing to do with anything. the man has substance abuse problems, and appears to be in the early-to-mid stages of alcoholism. plus he seems deeply embedded in a subculture of criminality.

so he goes on a diet, and loses 30 pounds? um ok...

"but what was in those packages that Lisi left in the front seat of the Escalade, Rob?"

I totally agree. He basically reports things as he sees them and doesn't seem to be a Ford supporter to me. So what if he posted about Ford taking the stairs? He also live-tweeted the stupid stuff being spewed by Ford on the radio show yesterday.

i've known guys like him. some men can lose weight quite quickly if they put their mind to it, and it gives them a bit of a shape-shifting persona....

however, this kind of behaviour is almost always followed by a weight gain which is just as rapid. we'll see if he can keep it up once he is in the thick of the campaign.

anyway....its all totally beside the point. who gives a flock how fat he is? those headlines never said: Rob Ford Caught in Fat Eating Scandal.

it has absolutely nothing to do with anything. the man has substance abuse problems, and appears to be in the early-to-mid stages of alcoholism. plus he seems deeply embedded in a subculture of criminality.

"but what was in those packages that Lisi left in the front seat of the Escalade, Rob?"

When you're as big as he is, it's easy to lose a lot of weight right off the bat, but at some point he will plateau and may get into old habits out of being disappointed. A friend of mine weighed between 400 and 500 and would constantly fluctuate between those weights. He didn't drink or do drugs, he just ate a ton and didn't exercise. Then he had a period of about 6 months where he moved in with a friend who wouldn't put up with his eating habits and she got him eating better and walking instead of taking the bus or car. He got to below 400 pounds for the first time in decades but when she booted him out he went back to his old eating habits and ballooned. Unfortunately, he passed away this spring at 47 years of age. It doesn't take much to lose or gain great amounts but if you aren't mentally strong enough it can go bad really fast.

Can't speak for others but I am not questioning the quality of Peat's journalism. I'm actually saying the recent change in tone among Sun reporters overall has been so quick and so complete that it feels like a dictated clampdown that even reached up to someone of his stature. Of course bottom feeders like Strobel would be onboard.

Exactly. There has been a shift from many Sun writers (editorialists and beat reporters) that suggests a directive from on high.

I do think sexuality is a personal issue, except in cases of politicians being blatantly homophobic while there is sizable proof that they are indeed gay themselves. I don't think Rob Ford meets that test.

Have I missed something?

If those exchanges are still going on now, Ford can say that he was leaving Lisi a 'pound of flesh' in those envelopes, in an effort to further his weight loss. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back