1.6K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else get the impression that if you took brother Doug out of the picture, Mayor Rob would be relatively harmless?

Anyone else get the impression that if you took brother Doug out of the picture, Mayor Rob would be relatively harmless?

Disagree. They -- and their staff -- are a team. If Doug was not a councillor, Rob/Family Ford would find another way to deliver his messages. More interesting is that they thought this would be a successful approach -- obviously, the other choice (Rob as chief communicator) was considered much worse by their handlers.

It's also too bad if your in a lower income bracket working two or three jobs, trying to raise a family and on a five to seven year wait for affordable housing. That's life.

Maybe you should consider the responsibilities and reprecussions of raising a family when you can't afford to feed and house them.

How different is this then any other dead beat dad that expects someone else(the system) to pay for his kids and family?

A social system should be a temporary privilige. But unfortunately, some people think it's a personal right to expect OTHERS to pay for their lifestyle.

Last edited:
Maybe you should consider the responsibilities and reprecussions of raising a family when you can't afford to feed and house them.

How different is this then any other dead beat dad that expects someone else(the system) to pay for his kids and family?

A social system should be a temporary privilige. But unfortunately, some people think it's a personal right to expect OTHERS to pay for their lifestyle.

Comparing the poor (particularly those who are working 2, 3 jobs to stay afloat) to deadbeat dads? Nice and classy. Someone with the intent to game the system would hardly be working their ass off, would they? Different types of problems require different solutions.

That's not to mention - what are you going to do with the kids if you go tough love, have them taken over as wards of the state? God knows thats anything but a surefire way to have them ending up in all sorts of great situations that will end up costing the government tons more - in the way of policing and jail. Maybe you should heed your advice and consider the repercussions to taxpayers first.

AoD

Last edited:
I can assure you very few, if any of TCHC tenants work 2 to 3 jobs. Further more, if you actually do the math, working 2-3 jobs at mininmum wage will net you more than enough money to rent market rent at places like Jamestown (and even less once you head out of the City.) Easy retort, but the realities of subsidized housing are far from the ideas that social housing is supposed to provide. The example of working single mom or the elderly handicapped are far from the norm, and more the exception. Those individuals should be the reason social housing existist.

Last edited:
I know a single 37 year old male who owns a hardware store, who also lives in TCHC housing, by himself in a two story two bedroom townhouse. He waited approximately two weeks to get the apartment.
I don't know how.

js97:

A very significant proportion of residents in TCHC are seniors in RGI units. Hardly an "exception".

doug:

One could be in market units. If not, there is an issue, clearly.

AoD

I know a single 37 year old male who owns a hardware store, who also lives in TCHC housing, by himself in a two story two bedroom townhouse. He waited approximately two weeks to get the apartment.
I don't know how.

Just because someone lives in a TCHC owned property does not mean they're getting subsidized rent. My brother used to be in that situation and was paying full market rent to live in the building.

A lot of figures are being thrown around here as fact without any supporting information provided.

Anyone know what market rates are for a 2 bedroom 2 story townhouse at Carlton and Mutual?

A lot of figures are being thrown around here as fact without any supporting information provided.

Yes, you're posts are full of 'it'. ;)

doug:

I am sure Toronto Housing will be very receptive to fraud reports under the current administration. You should contact them re: this case.

AoD

There is a subsidized housing complex nearby which has this one tenant that is well-known to police. He sells soft drugs out of his apt. and has been arrested a few times after complaints from neighbours, etc. TCHC has not evicted him. I don't know if this is part of the reason they haven't evicted him, but he does have a physical disability. However, I wonder if it's simply because of the extremely bureaucratic approach TCHC often takes with these things, coupled with various methods available to problem tenants to further complexify the process.

Who's paying for the Ferris Wheel? Who's paying for the stadium? What government-guaranteed loans will be taken out? The Ferris Wheel, like the monorail and everything else about this brain fart, is virtual lipstick on a 'sale of land' sow.
I don't see anyone proposing another stadium as part of any proposal before council.

If someone wants to build and operate a Ferris Wheel, I'd hope they do it with minimum government funding. But look at the one in London ... it's not like they need any land for it. It's all built overhanging the water, and the only land required was simply along the edge of an existing, very wide, public area.

I'm certainly not saying the city should spend any significant amount on it. And yes, I realize it's all the window-dressing to cover the land-sale and kickbacks from the developers. I'm only saying that the Ferris Wheel in itself, isn't a horrible idea. Neither are pedestrian bridges that are also in the proposal ... but I don't here anyone jumping on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back