1.4K     1 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 891     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bookstores and libraries are two different things; there have been multiple postings about how busy library branches are, and links to library reports with stats, etc.

I think reducing the number of libraries and selling off the properties to developers is a great idea. Keep several big centralized libraries but really in the age of the internet what do we need so many libraries for anyway? Look no further than the US when Borders in bankrupt and Barnes & Noble is shuttering stores everywhere. It is only a matter of time before Gerry Schwartz pulls the plug on his wife's expensive little hobby, ie Indigo, as well.

Get with the times or be left behind!

You seem unaware of the purpose of a library. The books are but one aspect of a library's role (albeit a rather important one). Comparing a library's role to that of a big-box book store chain is ridiculous.

I think reducing the number of libraries and selling off the properties to developers is a great idea. Keep several big centralized libraries but really in the age of the internet what do we need so many libraries for anyway? Look no further than the US when Borders in bankrupt and Barnes & Noble is shuttering stores everywhere. It is only a matter of time before Gerry Schwartz pulls the plug on his wife's expensive little hobby, ie Indigo, as well.

Get with the times or be left behind!

The City's library system is the most used in North America. It now lends e-books and its website allow citizens access to several databases that would otherwise a lot of money. Newer branches are smaller, focusing less on maintaining a local collection, and more on the excellent inter-branch loan system. It is also expanding its role as a community hub, offering classes, meeting spaces, computer access, and on and on.

The library delivers high value to citizens with innovation, flexibility and efficiency. If Rob Ford truly cared about taxpayer value, and not his mindless Tea Party ideology, he would highlight the library system as an example for all city departments to follow.

And by the way, the new Fort York library is being paid for by developer's fees, not property tax dollars. The Library District condo development is actually marketed around the new library. Obviously, the private sector believes libraries increase property values. And so, if the City wants to attract more development, it should consider building more libraries, not sell them.

It's Time to Protect Toronto's Cars From Reckless Pedestrians

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/linwood-barclay/rob-ford-cars_b_957406.html

Here are the key points the Fords want to drive home:

-- Cars are hard to keep clean so keep your mucky hands off them. Sometimes, when pedestrians are forced to walk around cars that couldn't quite make it through the light, they find themselves rubbing up against the car, or running their hands along the hood or fender. This thoughtless behaviour can leave fingerprints and smudges. Knock it off.

-- Give the right of way when a car needs the sidewalk. During peak hours, when cars are stuck in traffic, there's still often more than enough space on a sidewalk to allow a car to pass (and it's a particularly easy maneuver for SUVs, which have no trouble mounting curbs). Pedestrians, whether they like to admit it or not, can scatter at a relatively high speed and with little notice. So there's no reason they can't withdraw under a store awning, or simply lay flat and allow the vehicle to pass over.

-- If you're an old person, for the love of God, have someone drive you across the street. If pedestrians are at the top of the list of things that annoy cars and their drivers, we need find a spot above them for elderly pedestrians. You could do 10 laps at Mosport in the time it takes some of these oldsters to cross in front of your car at Bloor and Spadina.

-- Enough with the fundraising walks. Cars and drivers have had it with Yonge and University and the Don Valley being shut down to allow human beings to walk or run to raise money for this or that disease. From now on, the city will only support drive-a-thons. Let's face it. If you're trying to fund a cure for prickly heat, and all you have to do is drive the parkway from Lakeshore up to the 401 and back again, that's going to leave a hell of a lot more time for research.

-- Make PATH accessible to cars. Pedestrians have been hogging Toronto's underground network of store-lined tunnels for years. Wouldn't you love it if you could drive your Dodge Ram down the escalator at the Royal Bank building and toodle up the tunnel, maybe steer into the food court to pick up some New York Fries? If you do most of your driving in the downtown core, this will also eliminate the need for snow tires.

The City's library system is the most used in North America.

I can't fathom how you would measure that and can only imagine that the methodology is results driven marketing by the library department.

It now lends e-books and its website allow citizens access to several databases that would otherwise a lot of money.

If it lends books digitally why would you possibly need to keep the branches open?

Newer branches are smaller, focusing less on maintaining a local collection, and more on the excellent inter-branch loan system. It is also expanding its role as a community hub, offering classes, meeting spaces, computer access, and on and on.

Fluff-talk for expensive community centres that could probably accommodated within existing community centres.

The library delivers high value to citizens with innovation, flexibility and efficiency. If Rob Ford truly cared about taxpayer value, and not his mindless Tea Party ideology, he would highlight the library system as an example for all city departments to follow.

There's nothing ideological about it. I would prefer to shutter the fringe branches, sell them off to developers, and concentrate efforts on the hubs.

And by the way, the new Fort York library is being paid for by developer's fees, not property tax dollars. The Library District condo development is actually marketed around the new library. Obviously, the private sector believes libraries increase property values. And so, if the City wants to attract more development, it should consider building more libraries, not sell them.

It's called marketing. And the Section 37 may fund part of the building construction I'm sure but the enormous operating costs will come from general revenues and continue to contribute to the City's budget deficit.

I agree shuttering and selling without have a massive impact on the budget but I am certain there are inefficiencies. The biggest issue of course are the bloated union contracts that no one seems willing to step up to for some reason.

I can't fathom how you would measure that and can only imagine that the methodology is results driven marketing by the library department.

Who do you trust statistics from? Ford himself?

If it lends books digitally why would you possibly need to keep the branches open?

For people who don't have computers? For people who don't know how to use them? There's more than you think.

Fluff-talk for expensive community centres that could probably accommodated within existing community centres.

I don't see why they have to be mutually exclusive. Some activities benefit by being in a library. Some benefit in a community center/gym.

There's nothing ideological about it. I would prefer to shutter the fringe branches, sell them off to developers, and concentrate efforts on the hubs.

Who will buy the land? These fringe branches are usually located in far-out locations and are often one of the draws for any development going on there.

These 'fringe branches' are also usually suburban libraries that help provide a service over a wider area- closing these will only hurt the poor who will need to travel further to get the services they pay for.

It's called marketing. And the Section 37 may fund part of the building construction I'm sure but the enormous operating costs will come from general revenues and continue to contribute to the City's budget deficit.

That area now has no library after the closing of the Urban Affairs library. Remember that providing a service that people want costs money- maybe you could sell parks and community clinics because they cost money too.

I agree shuttering and selling without have a massive impact on the budget but I am certain there are inefficiencies. The biggest issue of course are the bloated union contracts that no one seems willing to step up to for some reason.

Show me the bloated 'union contracts', please! Ford is cutting along idealogical lines- if he really cared, he would have waited until the KPMG efficiency report comes out before making any cuts.

Last edited:
Not counting people smuggling in from the 905 and using services like the TTC.

LOL.

You're so full of yourself, eh W.K Lis?

Now, I'm going to be like you and post something, and never respond.

Last edited by a moderator:

I suppose if you're poor and can't afford a home PC or internet connection and don't have a library within walking distance, that's too bad. That's life.

I suppose if you're poor and can't afford a home PC or internet connection and don't have a library within walking distance, that's too bad. That's life.

Those people don't really count, despite the fact that they still pay taxes and equally deserve the services that others take for granted.

Councillor Lee says Doug Ford tried to intimidate him into voting for this and other issues the administration wanted to implement. Doug threatened to unleash automated robo calls in Lee’s local ward to rally support against Lee. It has not worked. Rather it has emboldened the soft-spoken councillor, who says businessman Ford may be used to that kind of behaviour in the private sector, “But this is a public forum. None of us can be threatened like this.”

Source: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1056419--james-ford-poised-to-lose-waterfront-vote?bn=1

Wow! I always knew that Ford would make too many enemies with the people he should be working with and would be rendered completely neutered by isolation. But this is friken ridiculous!! :O

Doesn't sound anything like what he supposedly campaigned on. Sounds like he's cancelling an expensive light rail line and wants to build subways instead (which confuses me, as I understand it subways are very expensive).

And suddenly cyclists make his list of things to support.
Sounds to me like Toronto doesn't have much choice and has to support transit. This guy will probably be a minor bump in the road.

This guy will probably be a minor bump in the road.

I hope so.

We had an incredible momentum going for the past few years, completely interrupted now. We're left without Transit City and a lot of harm can be done to Toronto, even if just through inaction from paralysis a Fords VS City Council will result in.

Maybe Royson James is right and Ford will remind Toronto what is important to us and bring us all together. As citizens of Toronto.

It's also too bad if your in a lower income bracket working two or three jobs, trying to raise a family and on a five to seven year wait for affordable housing. That's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back