875     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=271374&playlistId=1.1629846&binId=1.815892&playlistPageNum=1

Here is the clip of her going up to DoFo and telling him to shut his fucking mouth! I still don't know exactly what triggered it and his ridiculous behaviour after was annoying, as usual. I had to laugh when he said "you call yourself a lady"! Well I'm a woman and I have no problem swearing when it's appropriate.

Note that Doug does not call Rob out when Rob uses colourful language.

I'm interested to hear others' perceived motivations for DoFo and RoFo's burnng desire to be in politics.

The only thing I can come up with is "the sense of power it brings", and the visibility. I guess Rob lives on whatever affirmation he can get from campaigning.

It's not for the consituents because the real, material one-on-one interaction is non-existent.

The idea of following in Dad's legacy is kind of hollow since he was only a four-year (one term?) backbencher.

If one argues it's for the kickbacks, well - given how they emphasize their hatred of that kind of thing - wouldn't it be just too easy to catch them in their own hypocrisy?

And their hatred of taxes, spending and politicians makes them virtual anarchists anyway. Why be in government if you hate the system? All they want to do is take city-funded services and infrastructure away - they have no proposed alternatives or ideas, because with their level of affluence, they don't rely on it and thus would never be hurt. Also, their minds don't work as visionaries, only as critics.

And they have Deco. So why politics? Why bother with all the hassle? Maybe it's the hassle that they like. The "street fighting".

I just don't get it.

I think it comes down to a sense of entitlement. The Ford brothers style themselves ordinary people to appeal to voters, and they probably do think of themselves as 'regular folks' who just happen to have a bunch of money from a business they didn't build. They want to be able to run that business (i.e., sit back and rake in the profits of others' work) without interference from pesky rules and laws. And if they feel they know best what government should do and they have a bunch of money to make it happen, they argue, why shouldn't they be in government?

Their philosophy of 'running the city like a business' is really just about having things their way and making things easy for their business, and their friends' businesses, and to hell with everything else to do with what a city should be and do.

Run the city like a business, in order to put business in charge of the city, for the benefit of business.

It should be noted that Rob, by his own admission, has very little involvement in the running of Deco and so can't be credited with its success, but that's what he draws on to establish his credentials as a money-saver. The family pushed him into the political sphere to keep him out of the day-to-day operations of the business and find something else for him to do, drawing on a modicum of personal charm that he has, as well as to obtain political power for the family, to serve their sense of entitlement.

It actually scares me how many in and near Toronto claim to as well...
That Contractor Mag guy (link a few pages ago) or this guy... http://landmarkreport.com/landmark/2014/01/activist-to-conservatives-come-back-to-ford-nation#sthash.kXdhH7Pc.uxfs gathering support on facebook and 'defending the cause' on twitter as Hate The War On Ford @LetFordBe
There are others that want to duplicate all the shit disturbing destructive divisive Fordist (I've got a hotmail lawyer working on the copyright of that, BTW. No not that one ;^) ) empty, cut everything, tax bad period, services why policies, not too far away, and they have followers too...

Neither of those pieces has one damn word to say about what Ford has actually achieved in their favour!

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=271374&playlistId=1.1629846&binId=1.815892&playlistPageNum=1

Here is the clip of her going up to DoFo and telling him to shut his fucking mouth! I still don't know exactly what triggered it and his ridiculous behaviour after was annoying, as usual. I had to laugh when he said "you call yourself a lady"! Well I'm a woman and I have no problem swearing when it's appropriate.

I really wish that on-screen title were not in the way so we could try to lipread that exchange. Davis' face looks more concerned than angry, as if Doug had been derailing the debate or something and maybe her frustration got the better of her when she confronted him.

Doug's display of offended dignity reminds me of a movie mobster who is quick to feel slighted at even a hint of criticism: 'Ehh, whoa, whoa, a little respect please', etc.

And then there is this.....just when things couldn't get more misogynistic in Ford Nation comes a new compadre. Enter James Sears aka Dimitri the lover to fluff the Fords. He's running against Mary Margaret McMahon in Ward 32.

Councillor Ward 32 Nomination Date Email Campaign Office Phone Website
McMahon, Mary-Margaret 02 Jan 2014
Sears, James 02 Jan 2014 DerailTheGravyTrain@dimitrithelover.com

It's comedic, but this guy will actually get a few votes, and that's terrifying to me.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/0...s-cheque-for-christmas-made-wife-really-happy

In this article, Rofo makes out like he doggedly (and singlehandedly) led our city to safety out of the storm. Which is not exactly how it went down, as I recall.... The article does mention that Norm Kelly was actually in charge but does not/can not go one step further to say "so what Ford claims is incorrect". But having allowed those statements to appear in print - which many will now take as truth - at the very least the Sun will hopefully publish an Op Ed piece showing up Ford's claims as lies.

I think it comes down to a sense of entitlement. The Ford brothers style themselves ordinary people to appeal to voters, and they probably do think of themselves as 'regular folks' who just happen to have a bunch of money from a business they didn't build. They want to be able to run that business (i.e., sit back and rake in the profits of others' work) without interference from pesky rules and laws. And if they feel they know best what government should do and they have a bunch of money to make it happen, they argue, why shouldn't they be in government?

Well said. Obviously, there are other factors that explain Slob and Thug's interest in "public service" - Ego (with a Capital "E") and spite being two of the biggies - but at heart, they're basically looking after their own interests, as well as those of people who are like them. Which pretty much amounts to the same thing.

Taxes bad. Unions bad. Commies bad. Rich good. Corporations good. Right wing nuts good. Paternalistic super-rich Daddy Warbucks stand-ins very good. Like the Tea Party loons and other such types we've seen in this extremely nasty far right populism that's been sweeping the entire globe since the 1980's, the Fords are out to prove that government doesn't work, and how better to accomplish that goal than to seize control themselves and wreck everything?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/0...s-cheque-for-christmas-made-wife-really-happy

In this article, Rofo makes out like he doggedly (and singlehandedly) led our city to safety out of the storm. Which is not exactly how it went down, as I recall.... The article does mention that Norm Kelly was actually in charge but does not/can not go one step further to say "so what Ford claims is incorrect". But having allowed those statements to appear in print - which many will now take as truth - at the very least the Sun will hopefully publish an Op Ed piece showing up Ford's claims as lies.

interesting... isn't $5,000 how much ford gave his office staff for sticking around? so renata's home staff that stuck around? sounds about right.

Mayor Rob Ford says feds should examine decriminalizing marijuana

The Junkies were talking about legalization possibly being a referendum question in Washington, D.C. where their show is based and invited Ford to weigh in.

“That probably won’t happen up here (in Canada) because we have a Conservative government,” Ford said. “They’re very strict when it comes to marijuana and any other drugs — so it is not going to happen here. Maybe down in the States but not up here.”

The right-wing mayor endorsed the Conservatives in the last federal election but said Thursday that he’s questioned the government’s approach to pot.

“The Conservative government up here is very, you know, it’s job creation, it is stimulating the economy but I’ve questioned that too sometimes why wouldn’t they at least decriminalize it and try to get revenue from it,” Ford said.

“That’s a debate that has been going on for years up in Canada. We have medicinal marijuana so a lot of people that are sick use it but they won’t legalize it or decriminalize it so I don’t think they are going to ever do it unless the government changes. I don’t see the Conservative government ever letting that happen.”

[...]

When asked about Canadian drug laws in August 2010, Ford — then a mayoral candidate — said they were “absolutely right.”

“I think the laws are appropriate and I’m not one to say we should legalize marijuana. I’ve never said that and I wouldn’t want to see that happen,” he said.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/0...feds-should-examine-decriminalizing-marijuana

Rob Ford is in favour of legalizing pot

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/09/rob_ford_talks_about_legalizing_marijuana_with_us_radio_hosts.html

Assuming you can call this a sentence in the English language:

“The Conservative government up here is very — you know, it’s job creation, it is stimulating the economy but I’ve questioned that too sometimes — why wouldn’t they at least decriminalize it and try to get revenue from it,” Ford said.

This whole article is pure gold. He was against it, now he's for it, and he's a drug user himself who is our mayor. And it's all about stimulating the economy. This guy is so focused on money but never really looks into whether it's a good or bad thing, everything to him is about money.

Edit: Foiled in my attempt to bring news first :D

Doug Ford maintains he would help, not hinder the Tories

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/doug-ford-maintains-he-would-help-not-hinder-the-tories/article16261803/

“Let me simplify it: If the PCs didn’t want me, they wouldn’t be holding my riding – the only riding, I think, in Ontario,†he said. “They haven’t put a candidate in there. There must be a reason.â€

and:

But Doug Ford said he is not deterred. “Believe me: I’d help them, not hinder them,†he told The Globe. “And they know it.â€

So maybe you cann tell us how you'd help, not hinder them. Cause I'm not taking your word for it and I'm pretty sure they don't know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back