28     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 244     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the same woman, she has links to a Toronto medical site, still odd that TPS won't say she's okay and living in Thailand.

As an extra bonus, she also likes Breaking Bad. :D

Yes, that looks fairly conclusive. The Jaclyn Dawe who went missing did study at McMaster University as stated on the Facebook page (and actually has one of her essays available online, about blood electrolytes), and worked at several Toronto medical clinics.

I would be greatly relieved that she's alive and apparently well, but there are still a lot of questions about why she abandoned her car in front of 51 Benway Drive, a location linked in the ITO to Sandro Lisi, and left the country without even telling her family. I smell "witness protection", or else just getting out of Dodge to protect herself from a threat of some kind.

Yes, that looks fairly conclusive. The Jaclyn Dawe who went missing did study at McMaster University as stated on the Facebook page (and actually has one of her essays available online, about blood electrolytes), and worked at several Toronto medical clinics.

I would be greatly relieved that she's alive and apparently well, but there are still a lot of questions about why she abandoned her car in front of 51 Benway Drive, a location linked in the ITO to Sandro Lisi, and left the country without even telling her family. I smell "witness protection", or else just getting out of Dodge to protect herself from a threat of some kind.
Maybe someone from the Star or the Globe will be getting a trip to Thailand to find out more.

Sarah Thomson had a funny idea that might actually work. What if another Rob Ford were to run? Would it split his vote enough even out vote splitting on the other side? It's funny because it operates on the basis that most Rob Ford voters are in fact stupid. If you made them have to think - Rob Ford A vs Rob Ford B - how many would actually pick the guy they follow blindly?

Anybody want to legally change their name to Rob Ford and run in the election? :rolleyes:

It's an amusing idea, but he either wins or loses - fair and square. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone do it though (name change etc.), he's that incredibly divisive; hated or loved.

It's an amusing idea, but he either wins or loses - fair and square. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone do it though (name change etc.), he's that incredibly divisive; hated or loved.

First two Google hits for "two candidates with the same name" ...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/same-name-election-candidates-row-809744 (England.)

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/baker-368982-bob-councilman.html (Southern California. The incumbent labelled himself 1 Robert "Bob" Baker but the "challenger" got himself higher on the ballot by calling himself 0 Robert "Bob" Baker.)

tl;dr: This is not a road TO wants to go down unless somehow there is a consensus that you didn't get enough ridicule in 2013 and need a lot more in 2014 ... :p

Also, Ford Nation probably has lots of crazies who would be happy to take fat stacks of 20's from Doug to run as Olivia A. Chow, Olivia B. Chow, John P. Tory, John Q. Tory, etc. Ppl in other solar systems would be laughing.

Can you even run under a name that isn't legally yours?

My understanding is that you can use any name provided it is not to commit fraud, impersonation, or illegal activity, and that you can assume a name. In essence, publicly presenting yourself as Jedediah Crunklecakes makes you Jedediah Crunklecakes. This used to be very common when women married and simply starting using a spouse's name.

My understanding is that you can use any name provided it is not to commit fraud, impersonation, or illegal activity, and that you can assume a name. In essence, publicly presenting yourself as Jedediah Crunklecakes makes you Jedediah Crunklecakes. This used to be very common when women married and simply starting using a spouse's name.

TIL that there was a time when women got married and automatically started calling themselves Jedediah Crunklecakes.

Can you even run under a name that isn't legally yours?

I'm neither a lawyer nor an electoral law nerd, but I would be stunned if you could legally do that in any even partially functioning democracy. There is no upside to allowing it and there's a huge, obvious downside.

For the sake of comedy, let's assume that it only takes a few months for a legal name change in Ont., or that despite mountains of contrary evidence, Team Ford is not making half-assed plans minute by minute but in fact in their secret underground lair maintains an army of legally and appropriately named candidates waiting for orders ... (mwahahaha!)

(In the stories I linked to, it looks like the malefactors managed to find challenger candidates who by coincidence had lived their whole lives with the same name as the incumbents.)

Well someone named "Al Gore" registered to run for Mayor today

you can use any name provided it is not to commit fraud, impersonation, or illegal activity

Lawyers out there ... If I lived in TO, and asserted strenuously that all my family and friends had called me nothing but "Rob Ford" for many years, how likely would it be that I could run for mayor in TO in 2014 as "Rob Ford" without legal challenge?

The whole Fake RoFo candidacy idea is fun to think about, but I really, really hope some serious non-joking mayoral candidate crushes the monster and the whole Ford operation so hard that the whole family decides that it's a good idea to leave politics forever.

First two Google hits for "two candidates with the same name" ...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/same-name-election-candidates-row-809744 (England.)

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/baker-368982-bob-councilman.html (Southern California. The incumbent labelled himself 1 Robert "Bob" Baker but the "challenger" got himself higher on the ballot by calling himself 0 Robert "Bob" Baker.)

tl;dr: This is not a road TO wants to go down unless somehow there is a consensus that you didn't get enough ridicule in 2013 and need a lot more in 2014 ... :p

Also, Ford Nation probably has lots of crazies who would be happy to take fat stacks of 20's from Doug to run as Olivia A. Chow, Olivia B. Chow, John P. Tory, John Q. Tory, etc. Ppl in other solar systems would be laughing.

With some further googles, both examples had the incumbents smoke the opposition... although neither electorate had much in the way of Ford Nation, or Ford, for that matter... A good idea for democracy, probably not, about appropriate with Ford in play... maybe

I'm especially fond of the idea of Doug running Rob's campaign until a provincial election call (smart money is springish) leaving Rob swinging in the breeze as Doug tries to get elected to not do anything for Etobicoke on a bigger stage.

Lies are coming fast and thick:

Rob Ford’s 2014 mayoral campaign got off to an official start this morning, and things seem to be progressing quickly. It took the mayor just a few minutes to make good on his campaign promise to “continue doing what I’ve been doingâ€â€”he uttered some of his first falsehoods of 2014. Here they are, as reported by the Star, the Globe, the Post and the Sun.

1. He declared himself “the best mayor that this city has ever had.â€
This isn’t a lie, exactly. It has more in common with lazy marketing—sort of like when a run-down restaurant has a sun-stained “best pizza in town†sign propped up in one of its windows.

2. He claimed that he has saved the city “a billion dollars.â€
Rob Ford and his brother love repeating this, but, as the Star‘s Daniel Dale and others have pointed out, it just isn’t true. The billion-dollar claim is based on all kinds of creative math and flawed assumptions. The Ford administration’s actual savings over the past three years amount to hundreds of millions of dollars less.

3. He said he has the best attendance record on council.
In fact, his attendance record is merely so-so.

4. He claimed to have delivered “a lower tax increase than 2 per cent over four years.â€
Last year’s property-tax increase was 2.5 per cent. Details!

http://www.torontolife.com/informer...s-officially-launching-2014-mayoral-campaign/

This is a welcome insight on Ford's supposed "support".

I saw CBC's report on Ford registering as a candidate this morning, followed by Doug's first media scrum as Rob's campaign manager.

Doug as campaign manager could be a godsend for the anti-Ford camp. Ford doesn't have Nick Kouvalis in the back room this time around. With Doug calling the shots this could have train wreck written all over it. I'm thinking of that one U.S. media interview in November that was obviously arranged by Doug, where Ford ended up cursing in front of children.

I hope the media keep pounding on Doug and Rob every chance they get. Rob's "avoid all unfriendly media" strategy won't work during a campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back