398     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 511     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
K guys... isn't it time for more breaking news?

Rob will be having a lovely holidays with his family at this pace. THAT WAS NOT THE PLAN!

This call girl story has been sitting in the pipelines for weeks. Were those campaign donation pdf's with dead people and developers fake?

Can the media also make a stink closer to the hockey game in Detroit about his admittance to smoking crack?

I spoke to someone in the media the other day who said that we, the public, have only heard about 20% of the story. I want the other 80%! Unfortunately, this media person was close mouthed and wouldn't spill any tidbits.

I spoke to someone in the media the other day who said that we, the public, have only heard about 20% of the story. I want the other 80%! Unfortunately, this media person was close mouthed and wouldn't spill any tidbits.
Obviously these aren't scientific figures, but still interesting. Do you think that by "the public" your contact had in mind "people who read the paper/internet news sometimes and watch some TV news" or "people who are scouring all media for any publicly available tidbit/rumour"?

There really needs to be another local 24-hour news channel for Toronto. Right now, since the demise of the CityNews Channel, there is only CP24, full of pro-Ford commentators and advertising.

Let's not forget Stephen LeDrew while we list the things that make CP24 un-watchable.

Last edited:
Those apartment tours are a brilliant campaign move. He probably adds hundreds of new members to Ford Nation each new building he checks out. Plus, the positive media coverage. I bet he actually has no interest in finding a sustainable solution. Why would he when he can just keep making these campaign stops for years on end?

Councillor Janet Davis had already done an assessment and helped to have a lien placed on the landlord. Then Ford walks in, makes a bunch of empty gestures and somehow takes credit for doing something. And people eat it up. Democracy is a scary thing sometimes.

There really needs to be another local 24-hour news channel for Toronto. Right now, since the demise of the CityNews Channel, there is only CP24, full of pro-Ford commentators and advertising.
I'd like to see a local 24-hour news channel that's 100% local. Toronto only. Not GTA. Not cottage country. Toronto. And no reporting the weather and traffic every 5 minutes.

https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/410844741647880192

Don Peat
‏@reporterdonpeat
Christmas miracle? Mayor Rob Ford just invited media to Christmas party tonight at his mom's house #TOpoli pic.twitter.com/uyLlMYyFmX

BbOdHZ4CEAA_mbK.jpg

Those reporters better be careful. Might not be enough to eat there. But there's more than enough at home.

with his expression Ford looks a bit like Hannibal Lecter in that photo.

Dr. Zachary Smith was not gay -- he was a scaredy cat, comically so. As I said, I'm a fan of Dale's. I meant no disrespect, certainly not in any "gay" way. And I think even Dale's got a sense of humour about the incident. Here's what he wrote in the original article in May 2012:

"Every time I tried to sidestep him to escape, he moved with me and yelled at me again to drop my phone. I became more frightened than I can remember; after two or three attempts to dart away, I threw my phone and my recorder down on the grass, yelled that he could take them, and ran."

Granted that account hardly glorifies Dale - for which I think he actually deserves some credit; I know I'd be embarrassed as hell to have to make such a public testimonial that painted me in such an unflattering light - but c'mon, let's be real here. It's not like many of us would honestly come off looking good in such an episode. Most people are not action movie heroes in real life. Being suddenly confronted with an obviously out-of-control (and possibly drugged-up), enraged lunatic who was twice as big as he was, I can't blame Dale for feeling threatened. Ford was threatening him, after all.

Warren Kinsella thinks Dale and the Toronto Star have already blown it:

http://warrenkinsella.com/2013/12/dale-vs-ford-and-ford-wins/

But I'm not so sure. This is still all very recent, and I can hardly blame the man for wanting to take the proper time to decide how to proceed. Still, I hope he does sue the vile piece of shit, and that he destroys Ford in court. It looks pretty open-and-shut to me. The "Mayor" was recklessly lying through his filthy, yellow, drug-stained teeth (as usual), and the police will presumably back that up. Ford has a history of malicious behavior, and was definitely acting out of revenge here. I can't see how Dale loses in such a scenario.

I certainly wouldn't hold it against Dale if he decides not to pursue a no-doubt lengthy and unpleasant court case, especially if his opponent is as vicious a thug as Slob Ford. But, y'know, slandering someone as a pedophile is no small thing, and Ford has been skating away from this kind of ugliness for far too long. It's well past time he learned that actions actually have consequences. This isn't the sort of thing that you let some lying, evil scumbag get away with.

Last edited:
Yes, Worthington was a POS, and I hate Ford and love Dale...but honestly, even by Dale's own account of events, there was in his response a certain whiff of Dr. Zachary Smith (of Lost in Space fame).

Apologies to the younger readers who won't get that reference.

Not sure why it would matter if Dale came off sounding like Liberace. I realize this wasn't your point, but seeming effeminate doesn't warrant slander, or aggression, or gaybashing.

Let's not forget Stephen LeDrew while we list the things that make CP24 un-watchable.
+1

These are the things that make me hate CP24:

- There is no other 24-hour local news channel for Toronto since the demise of the CityNews Channel
- Stephen LeDrew, a Ford apologist, despite being the former head of the federal Liberal Party (the organization, not on Parliament Hill)
- Weather and traffic reports every five minutes
- Advertising every other minute outside of commercial breaks (they sometimes appear on the news ticker, sometimes where the weather is, sometimes where the traffic is); sorry, but I will not drop $20k on a Dodge Caravan (I don't drive) or buy wine at the LCBO (I am teetotal)
- Annoying advertising (sorry, but I have no gold to sell to Russell Oliver the Cash Man, Harold the Jewellery Buyer, Oren, et al.; I am not wealthy)
- Air time for Rob Ford and his goons

You're lucky. I live in a one bedroom. My electric bill was over four hundred dollars ($400) last time. Our bills cover a two month period. The worst part is, that the largest chunk of my bill is a delivery fee which alone is over a hundred dollars ($100). This is ridiculous since we live in a house that split into several apartments, which are all billed separately, meaning cumulatively we spend a couple hundred dollars a month just getting electricity to our home.

I have no recourse but to trust the electric company, and hope they can fix this. I'm doubtful they will. Just to get power in the first place I had to give them a few hundred dollars as a deposit, unless of course I got a letter from a gas, or electric company. Not a telco, not a credit rating score, but a full on letter from a very specific utility company.

The sooner I can get off the city's electrical grid the better.
How much and how?
It can't be purely because my telly is never on and I barely use my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back