709     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 593     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also add to that people who also have a problem with substance abuse. People who are also living in denial, may perhaps support someone who mirrors back to them their own situation.
A LOT of people over-use drugs and alcohol in Toronto. Not to the same extent as RF. Perhaps they would just call themselves 'partiers'. But they would be willing to give someone a pass whom they also see as merely a partier.

Don't forget another contingent--the *parents* of said people, or of Doug Ford's erstwhile customers, etc...

Yes. Harper has no apparent issue with people like Rob Anders (who insisted Mandela be considered a terrorist) and various bigots in the Reform/CPC universe.

Ford, meanwhile, is casually racist and irredeemably lacking in compassion. He would have made a good apartheid-era Boer, with his bright pink face and his barbecues.

I just wanted to have this posted again. So right.

http://steinsgeist.com/2013/11/14/police-did-not-give-ford-pass/

Another article this Daniel Stein (former criminal lawyer) wrote was entitled The Police did not give Ford a pass.

Once of the comments is really great:

No, that comment is really naive. How many times at the start of project traveller do you think they witnessed drug buys (not by Ford), but didn't arrest anyone either. When surveilling people they also let the minor stuff go so they can get the bigger fish.

Everyone's making it out like Ford got a pass, he didn't he's been treated like everyone else under surveillance in these projects. It's just that he's the Mayor that everyone thinks it's a travesty of justice. Let the project Close out and if there's no arrest the. We can demand answers.

Why not help me understand then? Instead of calling me a troll and mocking me, give me some insight? I'm not going to laugh at anyone. Why can't anyone answer my questions instead of insinuating I should know better? I've only known one lesbian in my life, and 3 gay guys, so I don't have a huge background on where they come from.

A bunch of others have already replied. If you weren't trolling, and I think it's at least reasonable to suspect that you were, I'm honestly not trying to pile on here.

It's 2013, and this is an Internet forum. Ask yourself, does it not seem weird that you would beg for help about understanding of LGBT issues in this particular thread, as if there were no information to be had anywhere else?

Really, people who, at least at the time they started their campaigns, had never heard of Rob Ford or Kathleen Wynne, were quite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots) articulate (http://www.itgetsbetter.org/) about the subject.

Last edited:
No, that comment is really naive. How many times at the start of project traveller do you think they witnessed drug buys (not by Ford), but didn't arrest anyone either. When surveilling people they also let the minor stuff go so they can get the bigger fish.

Exactly! This is what drives me nuts about most of the people here - just because they think he should have been arrested, something's up because he hasn't been arrested. Nevermind that they have no idea how the police do their work - and nevermind that it's an ongoing investigation. It clearly must be either incompetence or conspiracy, because the world is a very black + white sort of place.

Everyone's making it out like Ford got a pass, he didn't he's been treated like everyone else under surveillance in these projects. It's just that he's the Mayor that everyone thinks it's a travesty of justice. Let the project Close out and if there's no arrest the. We can demand answers.
I think perhaps both scenarios could be at play. Some of the investigators could have their eyes on the long range prize of potential greater criminality than a gram or two of pot/other drugs. AND other cops could be covering for RF. (Someone here pointed out that Price may have been tipped off by the police re: the video.)

It is certainly not naive to know that if these acts were committed by a poor Somali guy, instead of the rich white mayor, the outcome would have been much different. Likewise, if anyone else had been caught drunk driving, or worse drinking WHILE driving, it would have played out differently again.

Don Peat writes a column: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/05/early-election-would-be-unfair-to-everyone-but-rob-ford

Early election would be unfair to everyone but Rob Ford

TORONTO - The only thing a snap mayoral election in Toronto would prove is that we’re a city of Rob Ford enablers.
Ford was and remains the elected mayor of the city despite admitting to smoking crack cocaine, buying illegal drugs and misleading Toronto residents.
Now we start to hear murmurs of a snap election to clear the air and some even advocating it.
Should we spend more than $7 million to have a special election just because Ford is a drunken, crack-smoking global embarrassment who doesn’t feel enough shame to quit? No.

Last edited:
I know the answer to this is the same as the answer to my question about nobody calling him on his random drug tests, but why can't we get him to at the VERY LEAST honour is willingness to install a breathalyzer in his Caddy?

I think perhaps both scenarios could be at play. Some of the investigators could have their eyes on the long range prize of potential greater criminality than a gram or two of pot/other drugs. AND other cops could be covering for RF. (Someone here pointed out that Price may have been tipped off by the police re: the video.)

It is certainly not naive to know that if these acts were committed by a poor Somali guy, instead of the rich white mayor, the outcome would have been much different. Likewise, if anyone else had been caught drunk driving, or worse drinking WHILE driving, it would have played out differently again.

Yep, you're right, I wasn't trained by retired surveillance experts of the police and heard the stories. I also don't have relatives who work on the drugs and gangs task forces in the regions around Toronto and heard the stories.

Everyone's only shocked because it's come out due to the ito's.

Do you really think when they were watching the biker gangs in Ontario and Quebec that they never let dui's go due to the end game?

Is there bad cops? Of course there are, there is bad apples in every large organization.

Have we reached the outcome yet? Last I heard the project is still ongoing. Like I said, let's wait to see how this ends. And if there's no charges on Ford, I'll be right with you demanding answers.

And I'd add, the only thing worse than having Ford be a laughing stock to the world would be having our police forces efforts to get him fail. This is massive for TPS as well as Toronto.

Last edited:
Don Peat writes a column: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/05/early-election-would-be-unfair-to-everyone-but-rob-ford

Early election would be unfair to everyone but Rob Ford

TORONTO - The only thing a snap mayoral election in Toronto would prove is that we’re a city of Rob Ford enablers.
Ford was and remains the elected mayor of the city despite admitting to smoking crack cocaine, buying illegal drugs and misleading Toronto residents.
Now we start to hear murmurs of a snap election to clear the air and some even advocating it.
Should we spend more than $7 million to have a special election just because Ford is a drunken, crack-smoking global embarrassment who doesn’t feel enough shame to quit? No.

Everything about that Don Peat quote is gold, except the last word. "No." I'm probably reading too much into it, but who is going to respond to the rhetorical question with, Yeah, WTF, bring it on, Best Election Ever!!? More than a few idiots, I'm sure, but how many ... ?

The Pam thing was around the time of her sex tape, which I think wasn't long after Baywatch, which was HUGE at a time when lots more people globally had TVs than during the original Star Trek. I think Justin Bieber has surpassed Shatner by now - because there is more media these days.

Now, ask me which of these three I would choose to represent Canada? Shatner all the way. I wish HE was our Mayor, come to think of it.

If we're going to derail this thread, can we derail it with Shatner talk instead of all this Wynne stuff? :)

I say Shatner because Bieber will be forgotten in five years, but Star Trek will be around in some capacity forever. Everybody knows who Captain Kirk is, and everyone knows who played him, current movies notwithstanding.

A bunch of others have already replied. If you weren't trolling, and I think it's at least reasonable to suspect that you were, I'm honestly not trying to pile on here.

It's 2013, and this is an Internet forum. Ask yourself, does it not seem weird that you would beg for help about understanding of LGBT issues in this particular thread, as if there were no information to be had anywhere else?

Really, people who had never heard of Rob Ford or Kathleen Wynne, at least at the time they started their campaigns, were quite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots) articulate (http://www.itgetsbetter.org/) about the subject.

Thanks for posting a link, however, Dan Savage is one of the biggest bullies and most revolting human beings around. Read this: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=3092 I have no respect for that fool. He is the last person that should be an advocate for gay people.

Re physical appearance -- what do you suppose is the reason(s) for a segment of lesbians tending to look masculine (eg. K.D. Lang). That's why I asked if this has to do with having stronger male role models compared to females. Likewise for gay men...There are conservative (in terms of personality/fashion) gay men -- such as Kevin Spacey -- and there are gays who are more effeminate and exhuberant. I would think this has to do with relationships these men have had with their fathers -- or lack thereof -- and or other men in their lives that had an influence on them in their formative years.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting a link, however, Dan Savage is one of the biggest bullies and most revolting human beings around. Read this: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=3092 I have no respect for this fool. He is the last person that should be an advocate for gay people.

Re physical appearance -- what do you suppose is the reason(s) for a segment of lesbians tending to look masculine (eg. K.D. Lang). That's why I asked if this has to do with having stronger male role models compared to females. Likewise for gay men...There are conservative (in terms of personality/fashion) gay men -- such as Kevin Spacey -- and there are gays who are more effeminate and exhuberant. I would think this has to do with relationships these men have had with their fathers -- or lack thereof -- and or other men in their lives that had an influence on them in their formative years.

Thoughts?

Explain John Wayne then. Oh I give up..... Stop looking at the wrapper and start looking at the person...........

Thanks for posting a link, however, Dan Savage is one of the biggest bullies and most revolting human beings around. Read this: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=3092 I have no respect for this fool. He is the last person that should be an advocate for gay people.

Thoughts?

Whatever. Not everything about Dan Savage is great, but trying to keep teens alive and happy about their sexual orientation is okay with me.

You are stupid or you are a troll. You are simultaneously saying that you know hardly any LGBT people but you have deep insight about how it's all about how little kids related to their parents. Shut up, or at least take it elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back