994     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 484     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than actually try to understand any of the issues surrounding Ford or this city, you'd rather pretend that 33% of the city is comprised of mentally-ill sociopaths. And hey, all the power to you; its a lot more ego-reassuring if you can convince yourself that everyone you disagree with is evil/stupid/mentally-ill.

I'd say that 33% is more a patchwork of selfishness, fear, and anger that the world has moved on, held together by extreme gullibility and low literacy levels.

I'd say that 33% is more a patchwork of selfishness, fear, and anger that the world has moved on, held together by extreme gullibility and low literacy levels.

I would also add to that people who also have a problem with substance abuse. People who are also living in denial, may perhaps support someone who mirrors back to them their own situation.
A LOT of people over-use drugs and alcohol in Toronto. Not to the same extent as RF. Perhaps they would just call themselves 'partiers'. But they would be willing to give someone a pass whom they also see as merely a partier.

It was an observation, though admittedly, I don't understand why so many lesbians look butch. Is there a specific reason for this? A way to differentiate themselves from straight women; so as to stand out and be easier for other lesbians to notice them? I sincerely don't understand that. Does it have to do having a poor relationships with their mothers and or being more influenced by men, perhaps?

Stop trolling, "Nads Gone Bad".

This is just not true. When I did post on here, I made a point to (a) respond to and acknowledge as many responses to me as I could, and (b) admit when I was wrong and seek clarification when I was unsure of something. This got me accused of being boring, long-winded (which I was, but when I didn't respond to every specific point, I was accused of ignoring others, so it was lose-lose) and of using false modesty. Interestingly enough, none of this stopped people from simultaneously accusing me of being a troll.

If you support Ford, you get accused of being a troll on here almost no matter what. In fact, I've noticed that the only Ford supporters on here who don't get accused of being trolls seem to be the ones who post idiotic stuff verging on parody, which is probably because these posters fit into some's idea of "Ford Nayshun".

I couldn't disagree with you more about this board. There is very little in the way of facts, insights or substantial discussions happening here. The user base is obviously comprised of intelligent, educated and well-spoken people, but there is very little substantial discussion. There is a lot of mud-slinging, a lot of unsubstantiated gossip, a lot of echoing back the same opinion, a lot of updates from MetroMan and some straight-up conspiracy-theory level stuff (i.e. Ford murdered Anthony Smith, I'm David Price, Peepers is Joe Warmington, Ford is running a child-sex ring with the Don Bosco football team). There's nothing wrong with any of this, but you can't turn around and pretend like this is anything other than an echo chamber.

Would a message board devoted to evolution be an echo chamber if it didn't engage posters arguing for intelligent design?

1) Canada grants asylum to refugees from war-torn lawless countries whose criminal records - if they have one - are impossible to verify. Even if they commit crimes once in Canada we cannot deport them because their "lives would be at risk". Canadians are paying a big price for this policy. Don't kid yourself!

>> Personally, I would have granted Nelson Mandela asylum. Just saying'...

2) Doug Ford has never been charged much less convicted of an indictable offense in Canada so why would he be denied a green card? Because the Globe and Mail came out with an unsubstantiated story that Doug sold drugs when he was in high school? smh!

Yes, Doug Ford has not admitted anything about drugs. Not the same for Rob.

Good news from Twitter:

Darren Moore ‏@DarrenMooreD22 1h
I find it astonishing that @TorontoPolice is the same force that arrested over 1000 people at G20 but can't arrest 1 mayor for crack use.

Toronto Police ‏@TorontoPolice 1h
@DarrenMooreD22 charges are laid where evidence exists. If evidence doesn't exist police cannot lay charges. Investigation is ongoing ^sm
Retweeted by Edward Keenan

https://twitter.com/thekeenanwire

Of the 1100+ charged only 24 were convicted, not including the COP that was CONVICTED. Cops toss crap against the wall when it boils down to riots (stops the progression) but when it deals with high profile cases they are very careful on how they proceed, quit comparing watermelons to kiwi fruit.

http://www.citynews.ca/2011/06/20/new-stats-show-just-24-convicted-out-of-1100-g20-arrests/

OK, wow you guys have really gone off the deepend. Regardless...

If I'm not mistaken this week the stuff released was from Project Brazen II. Are we still on track for the rest of the Project Traveller wiretaps to be unredacted + released tomorrow? Or is my first assumption wrong and that's it for this week?

This is interesting. Peepers would hate this guy, Daniel Stein.
Why Ford hasn't been charged

Answers on why Rob Ford has not been Charged
Posted on December 5, 2013 by Daniel Stein

In my naiveté, I had assumed that most Torontonians had by now realized that one of the only civic institutions to really care about Mayor Rob Ford’s criminal behaviour was the Toronto Police Service.

In the time that passed between May 17, 2013, when the Star and Gawker published their crack video stories, and October 31, 2013, when the police announced that they had the video, Ford had bounced back.

A subway victory with pictures of smiling colleagues. Political cover from the Finance Minister. Silence from the business community.

First, you can’t treat Ford more harshly than anyone else just because it appears like he’s laughing in the face of the law. On the basis of what evidence exists right now, any defence lawyer or Crown for that matter would probably laugh the charges out of court.

It’s not as if the police aren’t getting advice from Crown attorneys.

Secondly, it is true that on an objective view, there were incidents involving Lisi and Ford that fit the classic appearance of a drug buy. Yes, there were grounds for the police to stop Ford, conduct what is called an investigative detention, or legally search him or his vehicle.

But that is hindsight. The police were playing a long game.

The real consequences for Ford’s behaviour will be political ones, like the ones he has already suffered, and like the ones he’s likely to suffer next October 27, 2014. And if the consequences are similar to the ones he’s already endured, then there is one civic institution that you have to thank for all of that. And it isn’t the mayor’s political opponents.

http://steinsgeist.com/2013/11/14/police-did-not-give-ford-pass/

Another article this Daniel Stein (former criminal lawyer) wrote was entitled The Police did not give Ford a pass.

Once of the comments is really great:

MS says:
November 16, 2013 at 12:01 am

Fact: Toronto police surveilled Rob Ford in numerous drug deals. Fact: if Rob Ford was a poor black man, he’d be in jail on drug charges today. Fact: they also observed him drinking and driving, urinating in public and committing numerous other infractions. Fact: Toronto police have covered for Rob Ford when drinking and driving on several (not just one) occasions.

You can dance around this all you want and discuss what HAS come out to the public (no thanks to the Toronto police, who have not voluntarily released anything at all), but the fact is that this Toronto police investigation is exactly what would happen if the investigating detective was given specific orders to NOT arrest or charge Rob Ford with anything at all. They’ve investigated (so you can’t claim they didn’t). They’ve allowed Nisar Hashimi to plead guilty to manslaughter (accidental death?!?! it’s not accidental when you shoot someone!) and buried the evidence in his case so it wouldn’t come out, in a deal that has lawyers across the province saying “what the hell!”. And they’ve watched Rob Ford buy drugs, but didn’t arrest him or charge him.

There is no visible difference between what has happened here, and what would happen if there was an order from the top to cover for Rob Ford.

Whoah, dem fiya!
Not knowing people of varying sexualities does not mean you live under a rock. Wtf kind of logic is that? No better than what you're accusing him of doing.

Aaaanyway, what was that whisper of a press conference with The Chief for tomorrow? Anyone hear anything? I was sort of excited to see what it was about.

I don't think any Canadian is more famous than Shatner. Politicians and celebrities come and go, but Captain Kirk is forever.

The Pam thing was around the time of her sex tape, which I think wasn't long after Baywatch, which was HUGE at a time when lots more people globally had TVs than during the original Star Trek. I think Justin Bieber has surpassed Shatner by now - because there is more media these days.

Now, ask me which of these three I would choose to represent Canada? Shatner all the way. I wish HE was our Mayor, come to think of it.

If we're going to derail this thread, can we derail it with Shatner talk instead of all this Wynne stuff? :)

I'll say it again: something damn good best come of this investigation. Drug deals, whatever, victimless crime and who doesn't know a drug dealer or two? (Never mind) Drunk driving though? Inexcusable that he was allowed to get away with it like it ain't no thing. I'm still hoping there was good reason to that madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back