5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 710     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the disgusting thing we are about to learn ISNT related to the ITO after all so I will politely decline the credit. It was apparently supposed to break yesterday but something is holding it up.

Again, my update consists of lawyers being very busy.

I wish I could squeeze more info but the only reason I got what I got was they were sure the story was about to break. He has gone tight lipped now so as not to jeapordize anything.

I think you're wrong on this. I think if it's proven that he beats his wife or kids, he'd lose a lot more of the Nation. I grew up around the type of people who favour Ford; and while they themselves may abuse their partners or kids, they do so in secret, and that community in general frowns upon the ideas of damage to a family. I've found it's mostly superficial (many of the people I knew cheated on their partners, were lousy parents, etc.), but violation comes with massive amounts of community shame.

Or, if they're older voters, they have *children* who did/do the same--who knows how many people identify w/having kids of a Randy/Doug/Rob nature...

What I had read in the Star yesterday is portions relating to police investigative techniques and registered police informants will remain redacted.

Of course, that's a given. It's the additional 200'ish pages that I haven't seen referenced since the first redacted version of the ITO was released, hence where the hell is it and why the silence on that section?!

Apparently the disgusting thing we are about to learn ISNT related to the ITO after all so I will politely decline the credit. It was apparently supposed to break yesterday but something is holding it up.

I wish I could squeeze more info but the only reason I got what I got was they were sure the story was about to break. He has gone tight lipped now so as not to jeapordize anything.

Broken by whom? The media? This is mildly exciting. Mildly.

You underestimate Ford Nayshun.
Can someone explain the intended point behind "Nayshun"?

Is it because it includes "nay", and thus refers to a person who votes in the negative? Or is the "shun" part some reference to street eubonics and his suppliers in street gangs?

I got'sta know. My favourite Dirty Harry bad guy quote.

Is it because it includes "nay", and thus refers to a person who votes in the negative? Or is the "shun" part some reference to street eubonics and his suppliers in street gangs?

My take is that much as the 'right' likes to use the semi-pejorative 'Lieberals', Nayshun is a way of indicating the general lack of intelligence (perceived or otherwise) of Rob Ford's political followers.

“People have smartened up to the fact that Rob Ford doesn’t tell the truth.”

It’s unclear just where that cop probe is actually headed. There’ve been louder questions about that in recent days.

Anonymous sources close to the investigation spilled more details to the Star last weekend, in another of those timed leaks that seem designed to buy time with the public. To paraphrase Chief Bill Blair: the investigation is ongoing and all will be revealed in good time.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=195578

Smith said he sympathized with Blair.

“I truly believe if they had enough to put (Ford) in jail, they would already have him in jail,” Smith said.

Still, the sheriff said he believed it was only a matter of time before Ford, who has admitted to buying illegal drugs and smoking crack cocaine in a drunken stupor, is charged or ousted.

“A guy like that, he’ll catch hisself,” he said.

[...]

Ford has repeatedly apologized for his conduct, which also included using crude sexual language in public, but has strenuously denied being an alcoholic or junkie.

Smith, who has been in law enforcement for 27 years, has his doubts.

“You just don’t quit smoking crack cocaine,” Smith said. “You don’t just get drunk and say, ‘I’m going to pick up a crack pipe’.”

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/11/27/r...says-florida-sheriff-who-charged-local-mayor/

I think you're wrong on this. I think if it's proven that he beats his wife or kids, he'd lose a lot more of the Nation. I grew up around the type of people who favour Ford; and while they themselves may abuse their partners or kids, they do so in secret, and that community in general frowns upon the ideas of damage to a family. I've found it's mostly superficial (many of the people I knew cheated on their partners, were lousy parents, etc.), but violation comes with massive amounts of community shame.

I don't know why you think so. There are plenty of current examples of abusive behaviour being explained away, victims not believed, seeing the perpetrator as the victim, etc. E.g. the Steubenville rape case and all that slush about how the convicted rapists' lives were "ruined" by the judgement. As another poster put it, Ford Nation are gold medallists at mental gymnastics so they rationalize away any abuse allegations too.

Seems like the intentional typo is a knock on the potentially illiterate followers of Ford.

places ford plans to be over the next little while...

There are 107,000 hockey fans expected at the New Year’s Day outdoor NHL Winter Classic in Michigan and Mayor Rob Ford says he plans to be one of them.

“Definitely,†the mayor said of the much anticipated Jan. 1 game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Detroit Red Wings. “I don’t have the plans worked out yet but I want to go.â€

[...]

It’s unclear if Ford will try to take his family to the game or travel down with a group of fans.

It’s also unknown if the mayor will also partake in the alumni game, on New Year’s Eve, inside the Detroit Tigers’ stadium, Comerica Park.

[...]

He is also scheduled to attend Saturday’s Cavalcade of Lights at Nathan Phillips Square.

Ford told me he will try his best to get to the ‘Share the Love’ Philippine Typhoon Benefit and Silent Auction Dec 5 at the Virgin Mobile Mod Club on College St. featuring such acts as Eddie Bullen, Jenny James, Puente Del Diablo, Quisha Wint, Coldjack, Hilary Weaver, George Kash, Jessica Sheppard and Donny Anderson.

[...]

It’s still not determined if the mayor will attend two big football games this week.

One is Friday at Etobicoke Centennial Stadium at 11:30 a.m. between his beloved Don Bosco Eagles and Cardinal Newman of Hamilton, and the other is the big Buffalo Bills game Sunday at Rogers Centre against the Atlanta Falcons.

The mayor has not tipped his hand either way but you know if he can be at both, he will be.

Not just because of the huge reception he received when he showed up at the Argos playoff game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats but because there is no place he’d rather be than at a football game.

Ford loves hockey too but the fact that the Winter Classic is going to be played at legendary Michigan stadium is also part of the allure for the football-loving mayor.

Over the telephone this week the mayor was enthusiastic about the big outdoor game in Michigan, saying he will be attending as the mayor of Toronto, leader of Ford Nation and a member of Leafs Nation.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/27/mayor-rob-ford-planning-for-winter-classic

OK we will withhold credit until credit us due. :p

I don't know why you think so. There are plenty of current examples of abusive behaviour being explained away, victims not believed, seeing the perpetrator as the victim, etc. E.g. the Steubenville rape case and all that slush about how the convicted rapists' lives were "ruined" by the judgement. As another poster put it, Ford Nation are gold medallists at mental gymnastics so they rationalize away any abuse allegations too.

In the case of Steubenville—as horrific as it was—the perception was this was teens with promising futures doing this to other teens. I don't pretend to understand why some people think rape is excusable as a teen who plays football, but those people do exist and I expect they are not the vast majority. A grown, married man abusing his wife or children is a whole different story.

Ford's popularity exists because he's seen as an average family man. He's "not perfect" and likes to drink now and again, but he's "their kinda guy"; an average suburban schlub. If it were *proven* (the critical part; a lack of proof gives "legitimacy" to the Nation's claims of media slander) that Mr. Family Man has been beating his wife or worse yet (though all abuse is equal) his kids, he'd be toast. Beating your family is not something people come back from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back