153     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 331     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 691     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Always? You're probably right about Queen's Park in 2013 and a lot of other places and times in Canadian history, but a serious counterexample has been going on in Ottawa for the last several years.

I think it's a cabinet divided (between former PCs and CAs), rather than Harper pushing everything.

Drunk driving is a tough one if you don't stop the guy in the car. They can always claim they had a drink after they got out of the car (and sometimes people do, just to be able to claim that). It renders any breathalyser test invalid, and then you're into witness testimony, which, eeek.

Yeah, yeah, that's related to the point the BC cop / cabinet minister on CBC had to make.

The thing with Ford is that the ITO for Lisi has them leaving empty vodka bottles in parks and driving away. How hard, with so much surveillance, is it to decide that today is the day, we are 99.99% convinced that Rob would blow way higher than the legal limit if we pulled him over in the next 15 minutes or so?

Last edited:
Tonight on Fordland: landlines vs. cellphones: which will kill you faster? AND how not to get ethanol and dimethylether confused when trying to rid your city of a menace mayor.

Technically speaking, cellphones will. But that's due to the fact it's really hard to have a car accident while using a landline.

Hey, I haven't been on much the last two days> Any further breaks in the wire tap info that was released? I am patiently waiting for Ford to be charged with something. Metro man has given strong hints in that regard.

A little phrase I find that sums up Ford perfectly:

“Stephen Harper and Rob Ford share a similar Conservative philosophy,” wrote Lloyd Atkins. “Mr. Harper is cynically shrewd, callously manipulative and arrogantly aloof, while Mr. Ford is shockingly mercurial, brazenly confrontational and superficially affable. These two political-power junkies also share some common character flaws: dishonesty, paranoia and vindictiveness.”
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...ike-us/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Superficially affable". Incredibly true- this is a figure that says that he does everything for the poor and appears friendly at his campaign/picnics, yet votes against any program that could help them.

Last edited:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...ike-us/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Superficially affable". Incredibly true.

Like! Thanks for that. Money quote, not the point you were trying to make, but still great ...

“There seems to have been a misunderstanding,†wrote Jonathan Skrimshire. “When all of us readers told you we were sick to death of Rob Ford, we weren’t suggesting we wanted to hear more about Mike Duffy.â€

“Stephen Harper and Rob Ford share a similar Conservative philosophy,” wrote Lloyd Atkins. “Mr. Harper is cynically shrewd, callously manipulative and arrogantly aloof, while Mr. Ford is shockingly mercurial, brazenly confrontational and superficially affable. These two political-power junkies also share some common character flaws: dishonesty, paranoia and vindictiveness.”

"Superficially affable". Incredibly true- this is a figure that says that he does everything for the poor and appears friendly at his campaign/picnics, yet votes against any program that could help them.

The exact same thing could be said about Tim Hudak.

One note that council should heed- Ford is now back in his old position as the lone wolf. Thus he can demonize council despite the fact they've done nothing wrong. Moreso, he's most effective in that position, as he's not really required to deliver on any of his promises.

You can see how he's talking about gravy since council's forced to raise tax above the 1.6% due to the Scarborough Subway. Norm Kelly and others would be wise to point out that reason.

Ummm. The Brazilian feds are pissed. They tap Rio on the shoulder - don't play nice with TO, or else you get no federal funding for whatever thing you want in the city.

The municipality doesn't have to spy, they're just a pawn in international politics.

That's possible, I guess ... but coverage so far all seems to be based on Thompson relaying the message he got from the mayor of Rio. I did a cursory search of Brazilian online media and none of their Rob Ford coverage mentions relations with Rio at all.

If Brasília wanted to use Rio to send a message to Ottawa, via Toronto, about the espionage thing, it would be largely symbolic, given that the monetary import of Rio-Toronto relations is fairly minor, whereas the Brazilian feds have already poured a ton of cash into Rio to prepare for the World Cup and the Olympics - if they wanted to turn off the tap, they could just say those two projects are paid for and that's all for now.

I was trying to remember all the things that Ford hasn't explained yet and as I recall his only response to questions about the video in which he is ranting and threatening violence was that he was very inebriated at the time, as if that explains it all. (He seemed pretty agitated and verbal for a drunk, too).

It struck me that he didn't resort to denial (since the video clearly does exist) and he offered an excuse for his behaviour but he didn't indicate that he regretted the behaviour or that it was inappropriate. Doesn't the unnamed target of his fury deserve some kind of apology?

There are more pressing matters...such as the fact that we still haven't nailed down a suitable person to play Ford in the movie.
Chris Farley is dead.
Meat Loaf would be even more perfect, and he is even alive, but we need the circa 1978 Meat (energetic 320 lb rock star with serious drug-alcohol addiction issues).
I think our hopes rest on Jack Black.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back