2.4K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.7K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 650     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not comfortable with this. Why are people who don't live in Toronto and can't vote allowed to influence our elections with donations?
They could own property or businesses in Toronto. Especially likely if they're wealthy people living just about the city. As contributors to the tax base they should have a say in how the city is managed.

It's been three weeks since Blair announced the cops had the video and Ford's still "mayor." In fact, as others have pointed out, he's probably exactly where he wants to be; largely free of responsibilities but still holding enough of a bully pulpit to fling poo and gum up the works of government as much as he can. Today the budget chief announced that property taxes are going to have to go up more than the 1.75% that Ford wanted. Now Ford can point to this hike, announced after his powers were wrestled away from him, and tell his followers "See? The gravy train is back!" They won't care about the details (like the cost of his beloved Scarborough subway, plus LRT cancellation fees), they'll just blame it on the rest of council. So he's got the same platform to run on as last time. Whether or not this will be enough to sweep him back into office remains to be seen, but now he's got almost a year to hammer his bullshit message into peoples' skulls without having to trouble himself with any actual governing.

From a recent post on Reddit:

"OH MY GOD. I KNOW this guy. THIS F*CKING GUY. His name is Valerio and he is the biggest fucking bodybuilding douchebag Toronto has to offer. He owns some shitty fitness company and makes terrible Affliction-style t-shirts to go along with it. He clings to "big name" bodybuilders like Jay Cutler (if you can call that a "big name", nobody outside the fitness industry knows who these people are) in order to get his own name and business out there more. He and the people he hangs around are absolutely stereotypical in their behaviour, going out to clubs with girls like in those photos, doing blow all night long (I would know, my ex was providing it to them sometimes), and using/buying/selling steroids constantly. Valerio himself is on juice 24/7 and I'm sure he uses a host of other recreational drugs, GhB comes to mind as one these douchebags love."

I wonder how this will go: (event is tonight)

Mayor to speak at City of Toronto economic development event

Mayor Ford will be joined by Councillor Michael Thompson (Ward 37 Scarborough Centre), Chair of the Economic Development Committee, and more than 500 guests from Toronto's business community, at a City of Toronto real estate/economic development event today.

It's been three weeks since Blair announced the cops had the video and Ford's still "mayor." In fact, as others have pointed out, he's probably exactly where he wants to be; largely free of responsibilities but still holding enough of a bully pulpit to fling poo and gum up the works of government as much as he can. Today the budget chief announced that property taxes are going to have to go up more than the 1.75% that Ford wanted. Now Ford can point to this hike, announced after his powers were wrestled away from him, and tell his followers "See? The gravy train is back!" They won't care about the details (like the cost of his beloved Scarborough subway, plus LRT cancellation fees), they'll just blame it on the rest of council. So he's got the same platform to run on as last time. Whether or not this will be enough to sweep him back into office remains to be seen, but now he's got almost a year to hammer his bullshit message into peoples' skulls without having to trouble himself with any actual governing.

I would guess that the amount of people who would unquestioningly accept Ford's bullshit message is the smallest it's ever been.

Don't care - more concerned about who is paying for it.

AoD

This third annual Signature Sites series event is hosted by the City of Toronto in conjunction with event partners Build Toronto, Invest Toronto and the Toronto Port Lands Company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back