4.7K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 684     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.M.G. -- how have we not yet seen a Ford Downfall parody?!

Even better would be to loop in actual Ford recordings into the rant...

Yes. Yes. The stick-in-your-own-subtitles thing has been done nearly to death, so new FordBro subtitles would have to be fantastic to get laughs. But finding good ways to use actual Rob/Doug recordings would be insanely funny. Not sure if the intelligent world is strong enough to survive the laughter.

Generally, a lot of these branded commodities, e.g. 'CLR', do a 'Sold At' or 'Only Available At These Fine Stores' thing at the end of the spot. Canadian Tire is often one of these. They get a free plug and the crap being sold gets a degree of 'legitimacy'. The fact they felt they needed to disassociate from the whole fiasco is significant. Sandy McTyre must've thrown his Tam O' Shanter at the TeeVee. And then got on the ol' handset to Rockwell Tools to voice his supreme displeasure in a frightening and burly brogue.

yeah I was thinking of the "CLR" TV ad, too. With some ads I think they just mention the store names and maybe show them in some nondescript font; in others they might actually use the logo. Then there are the commercials for STIHL power tools, where they very proudly proclaim that their product is NOT sold at Canadian Tire or Home Depot. I guess in a case like that CT wouldn't give them permission to use the logo. :p

None of this is staged for some greater plan. People want to come up with the most complicated explanations sometimes. They're simply idiots, operating at a base level in everything they do. Is Rob spinning further out of control because they're buzzed by all the international attention and famous people coming to gawk at them? Sure, but that's because they're idiots, and know no shame.
Heh. Love this. I agree.

Also relevant that arguably the most powerful local politician until amalgamation was the Metro Chairman (i.e. Alan Tonks) who was also elected by Metro Council.

Aaaand, who can forget...Paul Godfrey! Basically finagled a cool $1/2 Bil for a stadium, only to buy it for $25 Million years later. Weird, that.

In the reports of St. Patrick's evening, Rob Ford made verbally abusive comments about or to two female city employees (Olivia Gondek and a security guard). Gondek was requested to come to the Bier Market. If Ford was with paid companionship in his office or in other settings where there was expectation that staff would attend as part of their duties, especially female staff, it could be considered evidence of a hostile environment. It's not just titillation or tut-tuting about Ford playing around on his wife. It's about how he managed his office, and how he managed the city. It's about his lies and denials.

I thought it might be a bit much to delve too far into Alana's role when any notion we had of her was based on the perception of one or two young staffers. But now that someone has dug up proof that she had spent some time in the adult entertainments, it's fair game to discuss her small part in the story. I didn't notice the discussion here that was particularly creepy, and I'm not going to go looking back to see if I breezed over anything when I was reading this afternoon. Maybe one guy was a little blunt. If you want to talk creepy, how about when news of a second or third video quickly descended into speculation about a sex tape involving an underage Somali girl. Seem to remember bestiality being mentioned, and others made Doug a participant in the action. Or the speculation that Jaclyn Dawe was a prostitute and drug-user. I was a little icked last night when the conversation turned to how hot Robyn Doolittle is.

There's a lot of collateral damage in this story. We're just not as sensitive to petty criminals living in their parent's basement. Some guy posts a sign on his restaurant supporting Ford and the internet runs to Google to find every past mention with which to trash him. Why should Alana Kendree be any different? If you want to worry about a woman getting a raw deal, how about poor Olivia Gondek, whose name has been broadcast repeatedly on news reports throughout the world with respect to her pussy.

If more is discovered about Alana's relationship with Ford that further undermines him, I'd like to know about it. I don't want this off limits because some people find this one area too prurient, or want to characterize it as shaming or misogynistic. It's part of the story. Probably a minor point that will fade fast unless many more pictures are found or she comes forward to tell her story, but we never know unless we look.

Last edited:
This guy is apparently quite the right wing bigot.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/golden-crisp-fish-and-chips-ltd-york

"I have to agree the owner was friendly, nice man but super talkative. He talked to you about politics he talked to me about muslims taking over; I hear he is supposidly religious too; that's kind of hypocritical and totally sacrilegious. As for the food its ok halibut and chips; you found the fries soggy"

"The owner was friendly, but super talkative. I was alone and he joined me for a long talk about politics. "

"This place is usually filled with seniors, but is empty otherwise. I get weird vibes when I walk in, a slight look of racism from the owner? Kinda funny, considering how much I've eaten there.

Family run service that seems to be going downhill, I hate to admit."

Sounds like a Weston/Mt Dennis version of the Eagle's Nest restaurant in Bancroft.
http://www.bancroftthisweek.com/201...red-over-bancroft-restaurants-anti-gay-stance

yeah I was thinking of the "CLR" TV ad, too. With some ads I think they just mention the store names and maybe show them in some nondescript font; in others they might actually use the logo. Then there are the commercials for STIHL power tools, where they very proudly proclaim that their product is NOT sold at Canadian Tire or Home Depot. I guess in a case like that CT wouldn't give them permission to use the logo. :p

(Obvs Off-Topic, but...Power Tools!) I didn't know STIHL did that. I respect them even more. Eat that, DeWalt.

Snow? Ice? Please keep it. :)

I just think that even one of their own...or a finance/accounting expert maybe breaking it down would have added that extra kick of legitimacy.

That being said, I very much appreciated it nonetheless.

Worst part of the snow/ice is the total lack of surprise that it's happening in mid-November. Last year it was late October. But our mayor is better than yours.

Props to CBC for today's stories on radio and TV. Clearly they have some smart people who watched Mansbridge Monday night and made a solid pitch to follow up on what Rob and Doug had to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back