1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 999     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, Mayor Bloomberg Donates $30M to Initiative to Close Race Achievement Gap

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20110804/mid...tive-close-race-achievement-gap#ixzz1U5Va2r4H

Mayor Michael Bloomberg unveiled details of a new plan Thursday aimed at leveling inequalities between young black and Latino men and their white counterparts — and once again, he’s footing a chunk of the bill.

The “Young Men’s Initiative†will dedicate more than $127 million to a host of new initiatives, including middle school mentoring, new job training and fatherhood programs, designed to counteract long-standing achievement gaps.

While the public will be covering over half the cost, Bloomberg will be contributing $30 million of his own funds through Bloomberg Philanthropies, as will fellow billionaire George Soros and his Open Society Foundations.

The donation comes on the heels of announcement Wednesday that Bloomberg would be putting up $250,000 so that the state can hold Regents exams in January, which had been eliminated due to budget cuts.

“When we look at poverty rates, graduation rates, crime rates and employment rates, one thing stands out: blacks and Latinos are not fully sharing in the promise of American freedom and far too many are trapped in circumstances that are difficult to escape," the mayor told supporters at a breakfast co-hosted by Council of Urban Professionals and the New America Alliance at the law firm of Kirkland & Ellis in Midtown Thursday.

“I — we — have an obligation to try and extend opportunity’s promise to every community,“ he said.

Beginning this year, public school progress reports will include metrics that measure young black and Latino men’s performance compared to their white peers — information that will be used as part of an overall assessment of schools.

The Department of Education will also be working to try to reduce disparities in special education and suspensions, with a new after-school mentoring program for middle schoolers, among other changes.

Aside from the education initiatives, the plan targets the justice system in an effort to close the “revolving door†of repeat criminality that leads more than three-quarters of young men who leave Rikers Island to wind up back behind bars.

“If we don’t do something for those getting out of Rikers, they are going right back to Rikers,†Bloomberg said. “Everybody else is paying and suffering because of their suffering."

The plan will move probation officers into communities by basing them with neighborhood organizations so they can provide more hands-on mentoring, guidance and training.

To make it easier for those with criminal records to re-enter society, the city will also be working to change its hiring practices so that those with records have a better chance at getting jobs.

The city will also invest $25 million to expand its Jobs-Plus training program in public housing, and $9 million to expand the city-subsidized internship programs, which give young people the chance to learn new skills while still earning money.

The city will also be expanding its Fatherhood Initiative, including working with CUNY to extend job readiness, college prep and parenting workshops to low-income men.

The mayor hailed the efforts as “one of the most ambitious and comprehensive attacks on racial and ethnic disparities among young men that any city has ever undertaken" and said that he believes it has the potential to make a huge impact on young, minority men in the city.

“This can be a game-changer," he said.

Soros said the fact that more than one-third of African-American males end up in the criminal justice system is “appalling†and “inconsistent with the type of society we aspire to be.â€

He said he hoped his investment would serve as a model for others.

“I hope that others will join us and we can make the effort even bigger and more comprehensive,†Soros said.

Donald Ruff, the director of strategic partnerships at Eagle Academy, which partnered in developing the plan, said there is a desperate need do something to reverse the dismal statistics for young men living in communities like the West Harlem housing project where he grew up.

"A lot of the change is happening in small pockets, but now you have an opportunity where folks who have been on the ground are bringing the best practices," he said. "Honestly, this is the best thing that I think I've seen since I've been in the city."

But others were more tentative in their support.

Upper Manhattan City Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez said that while he applauds the mayor's efforts and the fact that he's "putting his money where his mouth is," he worries about the types of jobs the initiatives will create.

"I...hope that this initiative will create more than just low-wage, low-skill jobs for our young people who desperately need skills and opportunities for advancement," he said.

"With nearly 200,000 disconnected youth in the city, it is literally the future of our city that hangs in the balance."

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20110804/mid...tive-close-race-achievement-gap#ixzz1U5c57Fp6

All the while, Deco Labels & Tags (the Ford brothers' company) seems to be paying the office expenses for Ford, unless the office supplies are falling off the truck and just happens to have their names on the letterhead? Maybe they're getting their pens from bank branches, and not returning them?

I think me meant to post "that's his mothers house."
Yeah, that's what I got too - that the video showed the house and the link was there to support twhich house it was.

If the video showed nothing but some trees, then the video and link are not really proving anything, other than a whole lot of peoplewent over the Mama Ford's place last year and again this past weekend, to one of their homes.

Harper did grow up nearby, going to high school at RCI around the corner at Islington and Eglinton.

Hahaha, look at how stupid he is.

Dean "Strawman" Del Mastro.

I'm not surprised Dean Del Mastro and Rob Ford get along. In many ways, Del Mastro is Peterborough's take on Ford: a relatively wealthy businessman who puts his foot in his mouth far too often and gets into office on promises of cutting waste while building heavy rail lines to the middle of no where.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure Harper is very happy with Ford's term in office so much - not just because of their similar ideologies, but because Ford's antics are really distracting the media and electorate from what's going on on the federal level. Start a public feud with Margaret Atwood and you ensure a lot of media attention across the country (at least in the Anglophone press). Meanwhile, the recently announced cuts to Environment Canada go largely unnoticed. Not to mention that once austerity fatigue inevitibly sets in, Ford's up for re-election before his federal buddies.

Incidentally, Harper's thank-yous aside, I find the references to Ford's mom and "her" house in this thread to be a little condescending--at least, we wouldn't be using them had Doug Ford Sr. not died in 2006. It's the family home; and the adjoining park, named for DF Sr, drives the point home. (Not to diminish her--in fact, quite the contrary; it doesn't help to portray the Brothers Ford as thumb-sucking mama's boys, simply through the accident of her widowhood. Though it's interesting how recessively Rob Ford chooses to lead his own suburban life, allowing "the old homestead" to continue as the family political-machine social hub, BBQs and all.)

For the life of me, I can't understand why people are obsessing over this barbecue. Why is this so news worthy?

Says the guy who used said location, food and beer to take a shot at Ford's mom in the first place.

L M F A O !

You seem to have misunderstood. Why am I not surprised? What in my comment had anything to do with the location of where the party was? You obviously missed the point I was making.

My comment was about Ford's mother crying poor, yet being very rich. It's about the hypocrisy of her saying she can't afford to live in Toronto, while owning a company that has over 100 MILLION dollars in sales, yearly. What, you don't think my comment was valid?

Do senior citizens get a free pass because they are old? It clearly shows where Rob got his values from.

Last edited:
For the life of me, I can't understand why people are obsessing over this barbecue. Why is this so news worthy?

Because people will latch onto anything that they feel may validate how they feel about Rob Ford. I'm not a fan of Ford's performance, but I'm not going to take issue with something as inconsequential as a bbq.

I snagged a copy of Ford's introduction and Harper's speech, along with the ending where Jim Flaherty is given a wrestling belt.

[video=youtube;Dk9PRWjfSw4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9PRWjfSw4[/video]

What makes this relevant is that it's a clear indication that the Fords are likely to be heavily involved in the provincial election in the fall, which will put them at odds with several members of their Executive Committee. The smart move would be for Rob to stay out of the election, but he clearly loves that his family has been re-embraced by the Conservative machine.

Toronto Star: Ford’s meeting partners revealed

Ford, whose reputation for zealously pursuing solutions to residents’ small-scale problems helped propel him to victory, has continued his legendary constituency work as mayor. He makes house calls throughout the city, sometimes irritating local councillors by declining to inform them he is doing so, and regularly accompanies his allies on ward visits.

According to a list of his recent meeting partners, however, he rarely or never accompanies his critics.

Why not? Councillor Paul Ainslie, a member of Ford’s executive committee, said left-leaning councillors probably aren’t inviting him.
Said Councillor Adam Vaughan, one of Ford’s fiercest critics, who represents left-leaning Trinity-Spadina: “I’d never be able to live it down. . . if I had the mayor show up at a community meeting with me, my reputation would never recover.” :D

Councillor Paula Fletcher, another Ford critic, said only the most severe of local problems might genuinely require the mayor’s intervention. She suggested that Ford allies might be bringing him to their wards for “PR reasons,” to demonstrate to constituents that they hold sway with the mayor.

“Is he visiting libraries to see how well they’re used, is he visiting rec centres, has he been to Riverdale Farm? Or is he out doing ward visits with friendly councillors that are of more of a promotional nature? I don’t know,” she said.
Unlike David Miller, Ford does not release a basic advance schedule. After reporters obtained his internal schedules via freedom of information and revealed that he had met with controversial businessman Johnathan Vrozos, his staff began listing almost all meetings as, simply, “Meeting.” In July, the Star filed a new request for the names of his meeting partners, which was fulfilled this week.

The list.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that video, GraphicMatt. It's always interesting to see how these public figures get on when media isn't present, which is all we're usually able to see. In the context of a joking-around barbeque, some of the comments seem a little more tongue-in-cheek than anything genuinely ominous, but I concede that depends on your predisposition.

It woudla been kinda funny if after receiving his belt, Flaherty started his speech with "Well you know Mean Gene..."

Because people will latch onto anything that they feel may validate how they feel about Rob Ford. I'm not a fan of Ford's performance, but I'm not going to take issue with something as inconsequential as a bbq.
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back