News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 654     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
MetroMan:

I would be curious how such temporary legislation will keep those two from running in 2014 though.

AoD

It wouldn't and can't. As much as I loathe Rob Ford, I don't think one-off legislation barring someone from running for election is appropriate, or legal. Even criminals can run for election (curiously, unless the conviction was for election fraud, and then you have a 10 year time out).

If Rob Ford runs in 2014 and wins, it's shame on us, not on him.

I honestly think that Wynne doing this could hurt the Liberals, at the provincial level. It sucks, but - if Ford Nation finds this as a reason to turn up in droves to vote for Hudak, it's entirely possible she won't stand a chance. It'll give Doug a ten-foot tall soapbox to preach from.

But it really does seem like it needs to be done, at this point...

The final piece of the puzzle:

Where's Rick Mercer? He would love to do something similar to Rob Ford, especially with his Front Page segment.
Actually, I just found out that Rick Mercer did mock Rob Ford in his Front Page segment.

[video=youtube;tH1QPIBy0sg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH1QPIBy0sg[/video]

Next week, Rick Mercer would be mocking Rob Ford even more.

John Lancaster @ CBC is reporting that man beside Ford during latest announcement was a new criminal defence lawyer.

Ok, lemme take a shot at this. If DS is to be believed, the 8 second clip may have been taken accidentally when the group shot in front of the garage took place. I know it happens to me sometimes when I go to take a photo using my phone and it's still set to video mode. IIRC, the timestamps between that clip and the jpg are pretty close to one another. If it's depicting someone wearing a red cap*, it may be the person operating the phone or someone else who was there at the time, but not in the final image. That video was never encrypted because it doesn't actually show anything incriminating, and it's the only one DS could ever play because it was the only one in its original 3gp format. The other two video files on the server were the ones that were heavily encrypted.

In the VICE story, it seemed like there were a bunch of people involved. Maybe one of those people shared the link with DS at some point and that was the extent of his involvement, but I get the feeling there's more to it than that.

*Red is the Goonies' gang colour.

Blair just gave a quick conference! His confidence seems to be quite high (lol)!

No comment and he says his investigators continue their work!

As much as I loathe Rob Ford, I don't think one-off legislation barring someone from running for election is appropriate, or legal.

I'd be surprised, and disappointed, if Wynne proposes some sort of temporary legislation specific to Toronto's current situation. The problem is that Ontario cities in general have no legal tools to remove mayors (or councillors) for gross malfeasance. I'd much prefer to see the premiere propose standard, permanent legislation that would provide apparatus for recall of civic officials, either by a city's council or by public vote.

And no, I don't think anyone removed from office in such fashion should be barred from running again -- that should be up to the voters, however deluded they may be.

Did I hear him correctly when he said there are still two other videos? So this is a third video?

Also, is anyone up to date or following what's happening with the release of emails from the Mayor's office from last May?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back