724     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 669     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 295     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford Sr was a one term politician, mostly a PC backbencher. His riding was one of the ridings that was abolished when Harris "reduced" government.
Ford Sr did enter the race for the newly created Etobicoke Centre riding but he lost to Chris Stockwell. From The Sun: At the time, Rob Ford accused Stockwell’s campaign of “playing games” and running a “dirty” nomination fight, allegations Stockwell denied. “It is very sad,” Ford said back in 1998. “We heard rumours how these people work. It is a dirty game when you go up against these guys.”

And yet years later Rob Ford chose Stockwell to replace Holyday.

Last edited:
Funny -- that quote sounds identical to something either Robbie or Douggie would say. The same folksy cliches and martyrdom.

What's our problem, and how does it relate to our daddies?

Not to derail this thread, but I think that is a very interesting question. My armchair take on it is that lots of people grow up in dysfunctional families, and the #1 survival strategy in a dysfunctional family is denial. By the time you reach voting-age adulthood, you have been well-trained to not to see things as they are, not to look too closely, and definitely not to point out problems, inconsistencies, etc, even if you do notice them. This is extends to many ills in society; there are many things we simply do not face head-on.

So, I think plain old habitual denial is at least part of what's in play with the Fords. It's easier, in a weird way, to dismiss all this stuff, than to think that the person you believed in enough to vote for might not be so great after all. Much like it's easier to rationalize a parent's workaholism than to recognize that the parent really does care more about their work than their kids. Ugly truths are hard to look at.

Live on CP24

Okay I'm not 100% sure. He looks more "normal" right now. But at the beginning of the interview I sware he appeared to be stoned.

Same thing happened at the aquarium. Maybe he's switched to Coke? Doesn't that wear off faster? Or does Crack wear off fast too? I have very little experience with drugs (I've smoked pot, that's it) so I have no clue what the usual reaction would be.

Same thing happened at the aquarium. Maybe he's switched to Coke? Doesn't that wear off faster? Or does Crack wear off fast too? I have very little experience with drugs (I've smoked pot, that's it) so I have no clue what the usual reaction would be.

Ativan does that - slow, slurred speech - or some other "downer" (his blood pressure must be through the roof !) Maybe he's seen the "doctor".

One outcome of the Rob Ford regime is that people in Toronto have found that the city Councillor has more "power" than they originally thought. The Councillor will become a more important position for the voter's eyes in the coming election, than the previous election.

Have you guys seen Jackson Proskow's coverage of Ford today? Jackson's amazing, but Ford makes me want to poke myself in the eye repeatedly with a rusty object.

Also:
Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 10.57.15 AM.jpg

Using the Official Mayor of Toronto's twitter to campaign blatantly. He has NO respect for election laws. Not like we didn't already know that, but how can people even defend this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 10.57.15 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 10.57.15 AM.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 592
Apparently we were about to fall off a cliff? Who knew. Thanks, Rob, for saving us :rolleyes:
http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/835213/mayor-rob-ford-says-he-rescued-toronto-from-the-cliff/

Looks like "on the right path" is the new "stop the gravy train"
On the third anniversary of his election as mayor, Rob Ford touted his “endless and endless amounts of achievements” and said he thinks his second term will be much like his first.

“We’re on the right track. I’ve taken the city, which was literally on the cliff, and brought it back, and people are very happy,” Ford told Newstalk 1010 host Jerry Agar on Friday. “The people I talk to are very happy with the way we’re running the city.”

Ford did not explain what he meant by “on the cliff.” Asked what he will campaign on in 2014, four years after he pledged to “stop the gravy train,” he said, “There’s so much gravy still left, you know.”

“We’ve still got to find efficiencies,” he said. “I want to contract out garbage on the other side of Yonge St. We want to get this traffic flowing. We have to take care of the Gardiner. We have to do another union deal, obviously. So it’s going to be almost a re-run of this term, because things happen every four, five years, the contracts come up. And we’re going to work on the subways.”

Ford made at least four false statements over the 13-minute interview.

He said he has imposed tax increases lower than those of any North American city, though other cities have had tax freezes during his tenure; claimed again that he has “saved a billion dollars,” an assertion based on faulty math; said “there hasn’t been one labour disruption,” ignoring the 2012 library strike; and criticized a Bloor bike lane study he said is costing nearly “$500,000,” though the Bloor portion of the study will cost $250,000.

Agar, who has been a Ford supporter, did not ask him any questions about any of the scandals that have made his term one of the most tumultuous in the modern history of North American cities. The interview touched on a wide range of other topics.

TCHC RENOVATIONS: Ford said he is “absolutely livid” about a Toronto Community Housing Corp. proposal to spend $1.6 million on renovations to its head office. Ford, a staunch supporter of TCHC chief executive Gene Jones, said, I hope he’s not losing track of what he’s there for.”

“The money has to go to the tenants,” he said. “It has to go to fixing up Toronto Community Housing.”

PAN AM GAMES: In the wake of revelations about the salaries and expenses of Pan Am Games executives, Ford said he longer a supporter of Toronto’s 2015 Games. He said he “highly” advises Premier Kathleen Wynne to fire Pan Am chief executive Ian Troop and Tourism and Sport Minister Michael Chan.

“I’m not a fan of the Pan Am Games now,” he said.

TRANSIT PRIORITIES: Ford said again that he plans to fight first for a Sheppard subway, then a Finch subway, and then the so-called Downtown Relief Line, which could loop from Pape station on the Bloor-Danforth line down to St. Andrew station on the University line. TTC chief executive Andy Byford and other experts argue that the relief line should be Toronto’s first priority.

“There’s enough subways, subway stations, downtown — there could be more, and that’s what the Downtown Relief Line is going to help out on. But the people, like I said, of Scarborough and North York don’t have any,” Ford said.

LAND TRANSFER TAX: Ford campaigned in 2010 on eliminating the tax on home purchases. He told Agar that this is “not going to happen”; his current goal is to reduce the tax by 10 per cent this year, “if possible,” then impose further reductions in his second term.

SUBWAY TAX: Ford said he is “pretty sure” public-private partnerships can allow him to reduce this year’s tax levy for the Scarborough subway extension, which is currently pegged at 0.5 per cent.

For most of his term, Ford steadfastly rejected the suggestion of using taxes to pay for transit expansion, insisting instead that the private sector and other governments would contribute. Pressed by Agar about the Scarborough levy — a 1.6 per cent increase lasting for more than 30 years — he said, “I’m not going to go out there and say it’s not going to cost anything. Subways are expensive. People know that. But that’s what people want. People don’t want streetcars.”

BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Ford cited: his exaggerated budget savings (“the facts are the facts, and I’ve saved a billion dollars”); his elimination of the car registration tax; his reduction in his own office budget; his landmark collective agreements with the municipal unions; his successful push to make the TTC an essential service, preventing strikes; and his outsourcing of waste collection west of Yonge St.

PUNNY CAMPAIGN: Ford again offered a sneak peek at what appears to be one of his reelection slogans. “We’re on the right path, and it’s only going to get better with time, and I just can’t wait for Oct. 27 to come by, next year, and we’ll get Ford more years, as they would say,” he said.

Have you guys seen Jackson Proskow's coverage of Ford today? Jackson's amazing, but Ford makes me want to poke myself in the eye repeatedly with a rusty object.

Also:
View attachment 19249

Using the Official Mayor of Toronto's twitter to campaign blatantly. He has NO respect for election laws. Not like we didn't already know that, but how can people even defend this?

The last few elections federal and municipal have shown that our election laws are toothless. Violators must apologize for breaking them, maybe pay a small fine. Even then, it's years after the election, possibly even beyond the end of the term.

Do we know who got fired this morning?

Regardless of whether or not anybody was/will be let go I think it's safe to assume that the Toronto Star probably notified Ford's office that they were going to release the David Price GO station video and probably asked for a comment. That information certainly could have led to the types of heated internal conversations alluded to by MetroMan over the last few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back