917     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 730     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.3K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice list, Peepers. Are you trolling us? rofl brother. I sure am glad those bag fees are sitting in my bank account where they belong!

I don't know where you shop but all the stores I go to, still charge the 5 cent bag fee. (Metro, Freshco, Sobey's, No Frills) But who really cares about that petty stuff anyway? The fact that 5 cents a bag, is an issue for anyone, is just ridiculous.

You want evidence of waste and stupidity at City Hall? The Esplanade's sidewalk was replaced last winter, months of work with dump trucks and cement trucks barreling up and down the street, drilling at all hours and seniors unable to walk outside their own homes. We finally get the sidewalk back in July. The landscape designers fussing about the finishing touches. This week whole new set of construction begins, concrete cutters pulling up material less than 3 months old and hauling it off to landfill. The noise, inconvenience and sheer stupidity make me want to scream. More trucks zooming around an area full of seniors, buildings blocked off because of work that could have been done six months ago. Why is there no cross referencing of construction plans? More than that, this is a tourist area and has been filthy for years because of endless construction. You can't walk, cycle or drive downtown without it being like an obstacle course.

You want evidence of waste and stupidity at City Hall? The Esplanade's sidewalk was replaced last winter, months of work with dump trucks and cement trucks barreling up and down the street, drilling at all hours and seniors unable to walk outside their own homes. We finally get the sidewalk back in July. The landscape designers fussing about the finishing touches. This week whole new set of construction begins, concrete cutters pulling up material less than 3 months old and hauling it off to landfill. The noise, inconvenience and sheer stupidity make me want to scream. More trucks zooming around an area full of seniors, buildings blocked off because of work that could have been done six months ago. Why is there no cross referencing of construction plans? More than that, this is a tourist area and has been filthy for years because of endless construction. You can't walk, cycle or drive downtown without it being like an obstacle course.

I remember that someone mentioned that there was an office responsible for coordination, but that it was axed under Lastman. Doesn't help though that all subsequent mayors have done nothing regarding this, especially after similar events on Bloor Street and St. Clair.

Perhaps it's time for people to call councillors to make them act.

I remember that someone mentioned that there was an office responsible for coordination, but that it was axed under Lastman. Doesn't help though that all subsequent mayors have done nothing regarding this, especially after similar events on Bloor Street and St. Clair.

I thought they were supposed to have put it back in place...clearly it still left much to be desired.

re: letter:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-in-lisi-reference-letter-ag/article15020676/

AoD

Pressure is mounting at The Mayor's office for David Price to be dismissed. Rob is of course not having any of it. I expect that either Price goes soon or we'll see Earl Provost resign. I have a feeling that Provost knows of upcoming charges and doesn't want Price to be arrested while a member of the Mayor's staff.
Besides the Chief of Staff, there appears to be at least one other
imminent resignation.

Pressure is mounting at The Mayor's office for David Price to be dismissed. Rob is of course not having any of it. I expect that either Price goes soon or we'll see Earl Provost resign. I have a feeling that Provost knows of upcoming charges and doesn't want Price to be arrested while a member of the Mayor's staff.
Besides the Chief of Staff, there appears to be at least one other
imminent resignation.

The assistant (massoudi?) who texted D Peat about hospital gifts by mistake?

Last edited:
The assistant (massoudi?) who texted D Peat about hospital gifts by mistake?

I don't know the identity of the staff considering resigning. I thought Massoudi too but it could be a minor staff. What I do know is that Provost is trying to fix the house that's falling around him while Ford runs around breaking the pillars. He's got an end to his rope and one source at City Hall says David Price could be the issue that Ford won't budge on and Provost can't compromise on.

If Price gets arrested while a member of the Mayor's office, things are going to get very very ugly. Provost is trying to get Price out of the office so that Ford can at least distance himself by saying he fired him and his arrest is none of his business. We all know that Ford isn't going to relent. This is another Towhey moment.

We all know that Ford isn't going to relent. This is another Towhey moment.

Is Ford capable of recognizing that actions have future consequences? Smoking crack, associating with murderers, inappropriate pardons, public drunkenness, off the cuff remarks, the list goes on. It's as if there's nothing in his brain to say, "buddy, this isn't a good idea. This will come back to bite you".

Ford doesn't get that because, so far, absolutely nothing has come back to bite him. There seems to be no consequences at all to months and months of bad decisions and outright screw-ups.

I don't know the identity of the staff considering resigning. I thought Massoudi too but it could be a minor staff. What I do know is that Provost is trying to fix the house that's falling around him while Ford runs around breaking the pillars. He's got an end to his rope and one source at City Hall says David Price could be the issue that Ford won't budge on and Provost can't compromise on.

If Price gets arrested while a member of the Mayor's office, things are going to get very very ugly. Provost is trying to get Price out of the office so that Ford can at least distance himself by saying he fired him and his arrest is none of his business. We all know that Ford isn't going to relent. This is another Towhey moment.

Ford himself not under the kosh? Fine. No wonder Price has been MIA for so long now.

...It's a months-long process, and if that months-long process casts enough doubt then you really can't do much with what you've got. Even if you have one guy saying "I was there and I saw it", often times that just isn't enough. And if you can't track down another witness, that's the end of it.
Well said and also why newspapers continue to be important as they are one of the few media organizations still willing shill out the money and time to do investigative journalism, that quite correctly, can often lead to nothing. (Not suggesting CrackGate to be such a case though)

I remember that someone mentioned that there was an office responsible for coordination, but that it was axed under Lastman. Doesn't help though that all subsequent mayors have done nothing regarding this, especially after similar events on Bloor Street and St. Clair. Perhaps it's time for people to call councillors to make them act.
I believe the Esplanade construction schedule has everything to do with giving the businesses their patio seasons, so construction has to be done over two seperate winters. It was via community consultation that this happened, not because of bad planning. I believe they are replacing an entire sewer system, so it's quite a big job.

Mayor Ford just stormed out of a press conference after he was asked about the Lisi letter

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 55s
"You just want to cause problems, it is all you want to do" Mayor Rob Ford to media #TOpoli
Expand

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 1m
Reporter: "Why?" Mayor Rob Ford: "Because I've answered it. Anything else? Thanks, it is over, forget it. Done. See ya" #TOpoli
Expand

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 2m
"If you guys want to ask me about the letters it is over" Mayor Rob Ford #TOpoli
Expand

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 15m
Mayor Rob Ford just stormed out of press conference when reporters asked him about the Sandro Lisi letter #TOpoli

A funny tweet from a parody account:

Mayor Rob Frod ‏@TOMayorFrod 13m
Look, I won't even bother scheduling press conferences anymore if reporters are just going to ask about things I've done. #Toronto #TOpoli

UPDATE: Sound clip from the presser Ford stormed out of: https://soundcloud.com/don-peat/mayor-rob-fords-october-23

Last edited:

Clearly we must have TWO Esplanades! On The Esplanade in the St Lawrence Market neighbourhood Waterfront Toronto installed a new sewer and new watermain from Market Street to Scott Street in 2011 - see http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/ESS-Presentation.pdf This was a segment of the sewer running from Queen's Quay to the pumping station at Scott. The sewer had to run under the north sidewalk so WT cut down all the trees, dug up all the north sidewalk, laid the sewer and a new watermain and then went away in early 2012. The local BIA, the neighbourhood association and the local merchants worked with the City to not only return the street to what it had looked like earlier but to make it better. The improvements include trees planted in proper tree trenches, new pedestrian-style streetlights all the way from Market to Scott, all overhead wires buried and conduits running from the buildings to the trees so that they can be illuminated. The BIA has contributed lots of $$ to help pay the extra because WT were obliged only to pay to 'put it back' the way it was. In addition our Councillor and the City have assigned Section 37 funds. While the money was being gathered together and while the detailed designs were being made the sidewalks were patched with asphalt. There was hope the project would happen early in 2013 but the budget problems at Hydro meant they could not lay new conduit so the work was postponed. They laid the conduit for the new lights about 4 weeks ago. The main sidewalk work was postponed as late in the season as possible so that the patios could continue as long as possible and it actually started on October 23rd. It is due to be completed by December 15, though the tree planting will probably not happen until spring 2014. It has certainly been a long process but it is drawing to a close and "new sidewalk' is NOT being ripped up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back