221     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 372     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 216     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question: Has anyone seen David Price at City Hall (or anywhere) since Lisi was arrested? Given that TPS appears to be working its way up the chain, I'd expect him to be brought in before Ford himself.

Serious question: Has anyone seen David Price at City Hall (or anywhere) since Lisi was arrested? Given that TPS appears to be working its way up the chain, I'd expect him to be brought in before Ford himself.

MetroMan had mentioned a few pages back (last week I think) that there was another arrest about to happen, but that person had voluntarily come in for questioning. I don't know if it's ever been confirmed as to who that was.

The campaign period for a seat at Toronto City Hall begins on January 2, 2014. Or, in Rob Ford's case, it is already on.

The campaign is too long. It seems to reflect the United States campaigns, which go on even longer. The campaign should be shortened to no more than three months, preferably two months.

The campaign period for a seat at Toronto City Hall begins on January 2, 2014. Or, in Rob Ford's case, it is already on.

The campaign is too long. It seems to reflect the United States campaigns, which go on even longer. The campaign should be shortened to no more than three months, preferably two months.

It makes sense for it to be long when it's not just about political parties. People need time to get to know the alternatives, or otherwise the incumbent would have a massive advantage. Ford has been campaigning for a year now, imagine if the official campaign had 3 months - all candidates would have to compete on those few months versus Ford's 2 years.

No arrests made. Suspects went in voluntarily for questioning. TPS is moving up the chain from Lisi.

This quote from Oct. 8th was what I was half-remembering. I don't know if there has ever been a formal, or we'll-informed, connection made between Price and Lisi. It would be interesting to know what it is, if there was one.

I have a feeling (how many times has that been said in this thread?) that the middle men between some of Ford's allies might be some of the more fascinating arrests. If Ford(s) really was/were the only glue between some of them, you think they would have fumbled all this a long time ago. Someone with far more intellect must have a hand in this.

It makes sense for it to be long when it's not just about political parties. People need time to get to know the alternatives, or otherwise the incumbent would have a massive advantage. Ford has been campaigning for a year now, imagine if the official campaign had 3 months - all candidates would have to compete on those few months versus Ford's 2 years.

In Ford's case, the campaign rules should be updated to really punish someone who campaigns before the start date, not a small financial token amount or a slap on the wrist. The rules should be updated to reflect the new means of communicating.

Too late for the next election, but it needs to be done.

Does rob ford have to give up his radio show once January comes?

I don't know if municipal election laws are different than provincial/federal laws, but I do know that prov/fed say that media companies have to give all candidates equal air time, so if that's the case then newstalk1010 better be prepared to give the entire bill of candidates two hour radio shows....

I would imagine that Rob Ford will "step down" from the show "to focus on campaigning" but Doug will happily stay on and use the two hours to lie and spread misinformation to get his brother re-elected. I don't know if there's much we could do about that as it wouldn't be breaking campaign laws since Doug would not be a mayoral candidate (although he would be a ward candidate, so hmmm).

I don't know if municipal election laws are different than provincial/federal laws, but I do know that prov/fed say that media companies have to give all candidates equal air time, so if that's the case then newstalk1010 better be prepared to give the entire bill of candidates two hour radio shows....

I can't find the quote now but I'm pretty sure I read something once where someone from 1010 acknowledged that exact fact - and agrees that the show will have to come to an end once the election begins.

Last edited:
Does rob ford have to give up his radio show once January comes?
That's my understanding, assuming he registers. Giambrone had to give up his TV show in January last time. This might be the only advantage of the ridiculously long campaign period.

ON the other hand, I don't think he has to register until September ...

I doubt he'll wait until September to register. The man loves to campaign. Doug, on the other hand, has stated that he won't be running for councillor again. Who knows if he'll live up to that promise. I suppose Doug could refrain from registering (if he's changed his mind) until the last possible moment in order to keep the radio show. Or they could record a weekly podcast while campaigning. I don't believe there's anything in the rulebook against that.

I doubt he'll wait until September to register. The man loves to campaign. Doug, on the other hand, has stated that he won't be running for councillor again. Who knows if he'll live up to that promise. I suppose Doug could refrain from registering (if he's changed his mind) until the last possible moment in order to keep the radio show. Or they could record a weekly podcast while campaigning. I don't believe there's anything in the rulebook against that.

I don't imagine either Rob, Doug, or their audience would even know what a podcast is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back