News   Jul 12, 2024
 331     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 689     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Councillor Jayne Robinson on 680 News:

http://www.680news.com/2013/10/12/audio-coun-jay-robinson-calls-robocalls-underhanded-politics/

I wonder if the councillors we haven't heard from agree?[/QUOTE]

Councillors who have spoken out on this include:
Ainslie (obviously)
Augimieri
Bailão
Berardinetti
Carroll
Colle
Davis
Doucette
Fletcher
Fragedakis
Lindsay Luby
Matlow
McMahon
Mihevc
Perks
Robinson (Jaye - sorry to correct you)
Wong-Tam

I'm 90% sure that the following would be comfortable speaking out:
Filion
Layton
McConnell
Milczyn
Stintz
Vaughan

That's 23 votes. I wonder if they would consider some sort of censure motion.

I'm weary of something coming from the Robocalls too. His supporters see absolutely nothing wrong with what he did. To them, it was completely ethical and it was okay that he used city resources to do it.

This is why I can not have reasonable discussions with Ford supporters. Their ethics are incredibly skewed and so different from mine that I can not see any middle ground.

ETA: Newstalk 1010 tweeted that the Fords will be discussing robocalls on their show today. I can't wait to hear their spin on it. 10 bucks says they try to blame it on a staffer, despite the fact that Rob recorded the message himself.

Last edited:
ETA: Newstalk 1010 tweeted that the Fords will be discussing robocalls on their show today. I can't wait to hear their spin on it. 10 bucks says they try to blame it on a staffer, despite the fact that Rob recorded the message himself.

My money is on "The Taxpayers of Toronto should know who voted for the lane destroying, traffic clogging LRT. The left wing media is attacking us, when they should be going after the Fiberals and the Gas Plant boondoggle."

My money is on "The Taxpayers of Toronto should know who voted for the lane destroying, traffic clogging LRT. The left wing media is attacking us, when they should be going after the Fiberals and the Gas Plant boondoggle."

We should start a pool. I'm going with your spin, they were just doing Ward 43 a favour!

We should start a pool. I'm going with your spin, they were just doing Ward 43 a favour!

I think mjl08 post is sarcastic because nobody voted for "the lane destroying, traffic clogging LRT".

While I am as eager as anyone to find out what the police have in store, questioning/ charging the mayor on Thanksgiving--if that is indeed what's happening--seems less than optimal. It would become yet another talking point for the Fords' boundless sense of victimhood; 'those leftie cops won't even let me spend the holiday with my family, how dare they come to my home' etc etc. better to do this at City Hall on a workday, to the extent he is ever actually there of course.

If this is a larger series of arrests Thanksgiving night actually makes sense -- it's likely that people will be home with their families. And it seems that Ford's associates are all pretty big "family" guys (they live in their mom's basements after all.) I think you've got pretty good odds than between 6pm and 8pm tonight they'll be at the dinner table enjoying some turkey.

I would hope that the discourse with Cowboy Logic could become a little more civil. While I find his contortions to support Ford a little infuriating, he is generally respectful and takes time to answer the board's questions of him. I even agree with him, in the abstract, that a politician's personal life should be less considered that his or her policies. Now of course this is never applied evenly (I recall many a right-wing talking point about Obama using French mustard on his hamburger, Giambrone went down for a fling, etc) but it's not a terrible thing to aspire to.

For me Ford's troubles go beyond this for several reasons: if he smoked crack he broke the law, it will impede his ability to do his job, etc. etc. There's also the hypocrisy given his pro-police, anti-gangs rhetoric. Not to mention connections to other nefarious activity.

I am hoping something happens soon, with all this hype I can see myself pretty frustrated if nothing has happened by mid-week.

DD13, cowboylogic routinely ignores replies to his arguments and then regurgitates the same tired, already disproven arguments in his following visit.

He said Ford was honest and competent. I pointed to a video where he is shown to be either a liar or incompetent and asked him which one is it. His reply? None. A few posts later he is insisting Ford is honest and competent.

He's been at it for a while, and he clearly does it just to piss people off at this point.

RC8, Yes, I'm not saying CowboyLogic isn't willfully ignorant about Ford, or maybe even David Price himself (I've wondered). I would just rather the tone here not be lowered on account of him. Or maybe I want him to still be here in a few weeks and have to answer how he feels about Ford running for reelection from prison.

DD13, cowboylogic routinely ignores replies to his arguments and then regurgitates the same tired, already disproven arguments in his following visit.

Yup, the moment I saw the exact same identical points trotted out the second time around was the moment that I saw that s/he was less interested in debate than s/he was in pushing his/her views.

This is 100% guaranteed to be the response. I would bet my house (that, according to CowboyLogic, I don't own and is in Pickering) on it.

mjl08, I don't know if this is a blessing or a curse, but I pretty much agree with every word you write.

Fragedakis brought her mom to council when I was there the other day. They had sat down near me in the public seating area and Pam McConnell came over and introduced herself and they all had a nice little chat. As soon as McConnell leaves, Doug Ford strolls over and introduces himself, the whole time putting on his creepy uncle shtick, but in that kind of condescendingly simple way that people talk to really old people or children. It was pretty cringe-inducing and Fragedakis gave him a couple good eye rolls before he walked away to near the elevator and quasi-argued with a reporter about his voting record. Just an observation, that's all.

I would hope that the discourse with Cowboy Logic could become a little more civil. While I find his contortions to support Ford a little infuriating, he is generally respectful and takes time to answer the board's questions of him. I even agree with him, in the abstract, that a politician's personal life should be less considered that his or her policies.

My bad. I made a rookie mistake by taking the bait. I just get infuriated by the reflexive reaction that if you disagree with Ford (or, in my case, as a question about his relative priorities), you don't own a home, pay taxes, have a job, and generally aren't a "real" Torontonian.

I snapped and I shouldn't have. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back