217     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 191     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 408     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they do not select Doug Holidays choice for his own replacement, it will just give the Ford side some addition ammunition against the "downtown lefties".

“Why do we even waste our time going to Etobicoke York community council when you know the lefties downtown are just going to laugh at us?” Ford asked. “Let’s just go directly to council with this? Save taxpayers’ money, save staff’s time.”

Someone was recently suggesting in this thread that Ford wasn't divisive; I'm not sure how that argument can be reasonably made.

Considering the size of Ford's ego, I wonder if he'll take credit for bringing the all star game here? At least in his head he probably thinks that. Maybe we'll see him use it as an accomplishment during the next campaign for mayor.

Oh, I'm sure he'll take credit for the NBA All Star Game, the Pan Am Games, World Pride... er, maybe not that one. ;)

Oh, I'm sure he'll take credit for the NBA All Star Game, the Pan Am Games, World Pride... er, maybe not that one. ;)

I don't know, with Ford's portrayal of what's "normal" might scare someone to rethink their sexuality. ;)

Then again, Indo-Asia does have a reasonably strong/high-profile record of female leadership (Indira Gandhi, Benazir Bhutto, and Sri Lanka elected the first female prime minister back in 1960). And don't forget that Scarborough-Rouge River did the unthinkable in 2011 and elected a female NDPer, Rathika Sitsabaiesan, largely on the back of Tamil support--meanwhile, the other heavily Asian north-Scarborough riding, Scarborough-Agincourt, is represented by a woman provincially (Soo Wong). Indeed, the only Scarborough riding not represented by a female either provincially and federally is Scarborough Southwest--and that's the one most geographically proximate to the former City of Toronto, as well as the one with the longest/strongest history of NDP support (Stephen Lewis once held it provincially).

So, it's silly to think that Chow would have absolutely no traction within those jurisdictions--sure, she might not *win* them all; but neither did Miller in 2003, he just did well enough and earned enough respect to put him over the top city-wide. (And once again, as I've said: a certain pro-Ford poster from that neck of the woods has himself offered that Chow'd have more mileage "out there" than Stintz, even if Stintz *seems* more ideologically aligned w/Ford.)

I'm in agreement with this. Having grown up in and around northeast Scarborough, my (Asian) gut tells me that Olivia Chow wouldn't be outright rejected, especially in favour of a fail-upwards guy like Ford. The area leans slightly left, so I don't really understand where jusbookeh is coming from. Unless he or she thinks it's resentment over some petty nonsense like "not really asian" because of a white husband or whatever, in which case that is really selling a group of people short.

Of course it is. Johnny was replying to an absurd post that somebody made last night claiming that all Asians, specifically in North York and Scarborough hated Chow and never would vote for her
That is completely what I said. Some person made a very silly claim that has no proof. Of course there are Asians in North York and Scarborough who would love to vote for Chow.

The Globe and Mail: Toronto’s deputy mayor to ‘gently’ push Ford to attend more events

Nice of the deputy Mayor to 'gently' push Ford into doing his job. And why does the "most transparent" mayor not make his schedule public?

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford makes it to an average of two of the five events and meetings on his official daily schedule, but his new Deputy Mayor, Norm Kelly, is hoping to change that.

Mr. Kelly, who was picked to fill the post left vacant by Doug Holyday’s move to provincial politics, said he planned to “gently†encourage Mr. Ford to attend more public events.

Between mid-February and mid-May, Mr. Ford was listed on average as “confirmed†on 2.5 events per day and did not attend 3.2 events per day – according to an analysis by The Globe of the mayor’s schedules, obtained through a freedom of information request. The FOI request was made because the mayor does not make his official schedule public. The mayor’s office would not comment on the accuracy or completeness of the schedule released to the Globe, after requests by e-mail and in person.

I just hope we aren't dismissing the very real study of racial demographics here. Polling and election results have their place in determining the values and needs of groups of people. Not entire groups obviously, but anything to help with policy decisions is good. The Republicans made some really stupid assumptions about the priorities of most Asian Americans last year and still think it's more of a cosmetic thing (not enough Asian Republicans) than a policy thing. Same goes for the Latino community. They are in for a shock if they think either Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz is the silver bullet.

Edit: but yeah random drive-by posts do not equal data

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back