225     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 218     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you being sarcastic like Forgotten or no? It seems like you are.

No of course not. I am completely serious. I don't know what in my comments would make you think I am being sarcastic.

I just realized in my list of Ford accomplishments I omitted a biggie! Rob Ford cleaned house at TCHC by firing corrupt and incompetent senior management and bringing in a top-notch CEO to clean up the mess! A huge accomplishment that is having a positive effect on the 10,000's of needy Toronto residents who depend upon public housing.

I just realized in my list of Ford accomplishments I omitted a biggie! Rob Ford cleaned house at TCHC by firing corrupt and incompetent senior management and bringing in a top-notch CEO to clean up the mess! A huge accomplishment that is having a positive effect on the 10,000's of needy Toronto residents who depend upon public housing.

He also cleaned house in numerous crack houses throughout the west end and God knows where else. God bless rob ford.

No of course not. I am completely serious. I don't know what in my comments would make you think I am being sarcastic.

Okay so now you're either still being sarcastic or just trolling.

The $1 Billion in savings is what made me suspicious. The TCHC is what gave it away :rolleyes:

She has no stature within the party that Jack built and is remembered only as his widow. Is that enough?

Now, *that* is obtuse (though some might use more colourful language).

That said, I've sometimes had parallel wonderings--that is, the "Olivia for Mayor" cheerleading can be prone to the same bubbleheaded and easily-pricked overidealism as Justin-for-PM. Not that she actually *is* an empty vessel; but supporters eager to overthrow Ford have all too often been hailing her in an empty-vessel way.

Under that circumstance, Chow might actually be more *underrated* than overrated as a potential Mayoral candidate--at least, underrated "where it counts". Underrated for her overratedness? (By comparison, I find Karen Stintz much more authentically "overrated", and can't help thinking back to malvern2's point that "downtown lefty" Chow might actually have more traction than "non-downtown conservative" Stintz in deepest subway-salivating Scarberia. (Though north of the 401 especially, ethnicity could play a factor there.)

I think of Rob Ford as a 311 operator. Filling potholes, fixing missed garbage pickups, fixing plumbing problems at TCHC. Basically, the same things that any 311 operator would do.

Except that is does pay for the food and drinks at his BBQ, paid by his inheritance.

Will propping up Ford cost the Harper gov't as other municipalities ask for infrastructure dollars?

Globe and Mail: Mayors struggling to understand Ottawa’s subway gift to Toronto

Ottawa’s $660-million gift to Toronto for a subway extension will come from a program that does not yet exist, leaving Canada’s other cities confused as to how they can get in on the action.

Mayors and municipal officials scrambled this week to understand the broader implications of Finance Minister Jim Flaherty’s surprise announcement on Monday that Ottawa would help finance a subway extension in the Toronto suburb of Scarborough.

“I’m pleased that Toronto was successful in getting funds, but it leaves me scratching my head: What is the process that we have to follow in order to be as successful?” Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson said in an interview. “My one concern is that all municipalities be treated the same way, and fairly.”

Mr. Watson said his city’s priorities for federal cash are expanded light rail and better treatment of the waste water that flows into the Ottawa River.

Mr. Flaherty’s March, 2013, budget promised a program called the Building Canada Fund that would be worth $14-billion over 10 years, starting next year. Federal officials confirmed to The Globe and Mail this week that the promised $660-million will come from there.

The fund is the responsibility of Infrastructure Minister Denis Lebel. However, his department has not yet announced the program’s criteria, which need to be negotiated with the provinces.

Mr. Flaherty – a personal friend of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford – was asked Monday why he was making the subway announcement now.

“Because the mayor wrote to us and asked,” he replied.

Yes, other municipalities will be lining up for the same kinds of mega-favours. Every action causes a reaction. Now it's a game of political/economic triage.... or maybe it's more about gambling.

Yes, other municipalities will be lining up for the same kinds of mega-favours. Every action causes a reaction. Now it's a game of political/economic triage.... or maybe it's more about gambling.

If I am not mistaken, Flaherty announce a $50B infrastructure expenditure for the next 10 years, starting in 2014. That is about $5B per year, or about $500M per year for Torontos portion (based on population). I think this was just an advance on that money from the Feds.

If I am not mistaken, Flaherty announce a $50B infrastructure expenditure for the next 10 years, starting in 2014. That is about $5B per year, or about $500M per year for Torontos portion (based on population). I think this was just an advance on that money from the Feds.

Could be, could be.

But I also don't think the Harper administration is above playing the same trite political game that the province is playing with their recent subway announcement for Toronto - i.e., a politically-driven motivation aimed at clumsy, piecemeal construction, bit by painful bit, of a seriously compromised transit system - rather than a well-planned and coordinated one which ought to be seen as being vital to the entire province's economy - and a not-insignificant parcel of the nation's economy.

Hey, all three levels of gubbmint are playing the same cynical, brain-dead game. Dangling carrots for short-term political gain, and to hell with the long-term consequences.

Chow doesn't have much support outside downtown core.

Also Chinese people in the suburbs won't vote her for various reasons

Chow doesn't have much support outside downtown core.

Also Chinese people in the suburbs won't vote her for various reasons

You don't know what you're talking about. Chow is very popular city wide. It's mathematically impossible to get 50% in a poll without strong city wide support. Things aren't as cleanly divided as one is led to believe by all the talk about downtown vs suburbs. Even Ford got very close to winning several downtown wards -- and that's why he's going to lose this time around. He's made a lot of regretful voters out of those who did support him in 2010.

I can't find any downtowners willing to admit that they voted for Ford yet about 80,000 of them did. Ford won with 380,000 votes. That's a big chunk of his support that will no longer vote for him because he's openly rallied against them, insulted them and neglected their needs. Then you've got many reasonable people living in the outer city but are sick of Ford and embarrassed by how he's tarnished the city and tired of the circus and of the heavy cloud of negativity he's cast over Toronto.

Here's the math: if Ford can somehow keep his 300,000 outer city voters and Olivia Chow takes all of his downtown's 80,000 plus the die hard 95,000 Pantalone backers, who do you think is going to run away with the largest chunk of Smitherman's 290,000? Chow doesn't even need half of Smitherman's votes to run away with the election. Do you think more than half of voters who refused to vote for Ford and held their nose to support Smitherman instead are actually going to go to Ford?

Out of the candidates looking to run, none of them will split this into a 3 man election day choice. I don't think even Stintz (if she were to run, but she's not going to) would make it to the end. John Tory might have a good chance but it looks like he's staying out of it. Traditionally, an election where an incumbent is running will almost always end with only 2 candidates actively competing by election day.

I'm ever more convinced that Ford can't pull this off.

You don't know what you're talking about. Chow is very popular city wide. It's mathematically impossible to get 50% in a poll without strong city wide support. Things aren't as cleanly divided as one is led to believe by all the talk about downtown vs suburbs. Even Ford got very close to winning several downtown wards -- and that's why he's going to lose this time around. He's made a lot of regretful voters out of those who did support him in 2010.

I can't find any downtowners willing to admit that they voted for Ford yet about 80,000 of them did. Ford won with 380,000 votes. That's a big chunk of his support that will no longer vote for him because he's openly rallied against them, insulted them and neglected their needs. Then you've got many reasonable people living in the outer city but are sick of Ford and embarrassed by how he's tarnished the city and tired of the circus and of the heavy cloud of negativity he's cast over Toronto.

Here's the math: if Ford can somehow keep his 300,000 outer city voters and Olivia Chow takes all of his downtown's 80,000 plus the die hard 95,000 Pantalone backers, who do you think is going to run away with the largest chunk of Smitherman's 290,000? Chow doesn't even need half of Smitherman's votes to run away with the election. Do you think more than half of voters who refused to vote for Ford and held their nose to support Smitherman instead are actually going to go to Ford?

Out of the candidates looking to run, none of them will split this into a 3 man election day choice. I don't think even Stintz (if she were to run, but she's not going to) would make it to the end. John Tory might have a good chance but it looks like he's staying out of it. Traditionally, an election where an incumbent is running will almost always end with only 2 candidates actively competing by election day.

I'm ever more convinced that Ford can't pull this off.

In a Chow vs. Ford runoff, who's Chow's designated hatchet man? What I mean is, who is the person that says 'well, we all know that Ford lied about... (crack use, taxes, budget, subway, etc., etc.) and that's why he's a two-faced lying SOB who should never have been mayor!' so that Chow can then get the Star or NOW lobbed question, "Ms. Chow, do you agree with X that Ford did crack at the Mayor's desk?", "Well, I certainly wouldn't have put it that way, but the question has been asked and Mayor Ford has never, as far as I know, denied smoking crack at his desk, and given his history of substance abuse, he needs to be very clear about whether or not he smoked crack at his desk." With Rob, that used to be Doug but next election he's going to be facing a personal buzz saw. Who does that for Chow?

Post #21303 saved for next fall.

Boy you do not understand race politics one bit
Chow is DOA against Scarborough/northyork Asians.

Post #21303 saved for next fall.

Boy you do not understand race politics one bit
Chow is DOA against Scarborough/northyork Asians.

Can you explain to us why Asians, specially in Scarborough and North York allegedly have such universal hate for Chow? This is the first time I've heard anything like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back