430     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stintz can't run a two-track railroad let alone the complete city. I hope she runs, that way John Clarke won't come in last.

As far as Ford goes, it does not matter if the video appears; Ford Nation will vote for him, no matter what. Unless he runs over an old lady while high on booze or crack, gets caught drowning a puppy in the city hall wading pool, he is almost certain to win.

The more candidates that jump in the race, the better Ford's chances, that is why he eggs everyone on.

Cheap chinese made replicas of the real thing is the real scandal here. What a stupid tacky thing to do. It's also a waste of money, as replicas have no resale value. Buying replicas also has legal/ethical ramifications.

Definitely. I thought we were talking about simple office chairs for the chambers.

As far as Ford goes, it does not matter if the video appears; Ford Nation will vote for him, no matter what. Unless he runs over an old lady while high on booze or crack, gets caught drowning a puppy in the city hall wading pool, he is almost certain to win.

Nope. They'll still vote for him.

Nope. They'll still vote for him.

How about a partially dead 13yo Samalian boy, found face down on Centennial Hill, having just escaped from a sex dungeon in the secret basement of the resource centre, and with a fresh tattoo of Ford Nation?

Last edited:
Stintz can't run a two-track railroad let alone the complete city. I hope she runs, that way John Clarke won't come in last.

I presume you mean *Kevin* Clarke (the raving street person perennial candidate type) as opposed to OCAP's *John* Clarke.

Hyperbolize much? Even the withdrawn-but-still-on-the-ballot Sarah Thomson managed 1883 votes to Clarke's 1411 votes in 2010.

I am skeptical also. Most people know next to nothing about Chow other than the fact that she is Jack Layton's widow for which she gets a lot of sympathy from people of all political stripes. Should she decide to run against Ford next year all of that will change the minute she steps into the arena. She won't be able to milk the sympathy vote anymore (although I'm sure she will try!). Once people get to know Chow a bit better her poll numbers will plummet.

They don't?

She was a city councillor for almost 15 years. I'd say she's actually quite well known as far as Toronto is concerned.

Toronto Sun: Mayor sings praises of coming 'Rob Ford-funded' trip to Austin

I wonder what the good people of Austin will have to say about a visit from the mayor of the biggest city in Canada? Is this a big deal to them?

“We’re going to go down there, I’m going to talk to the movers and shakers obviously of the music festival, I’m going to talk to the mayor, the councillors and find out how they’re doing this and hopefully replicate and see what we can do to create jobs in the music industry up here,†he said. “Hopefully we can make some deals and learn from them.â€

He stressed he’s paying for his own trip and will be taking his wife and kids along.

“The councillors are getting (their trip) paid through Invest Toronto,†Ford said.

A city press release said Ford will be joined on the trip by Councillors Michael Thompson, Josh Colle, Gary Crawford and Doug Ford. Hogtown music industry representatives going on the trip will include Jeff Cohen — the owner of Collective Concerts along with the Horseshoe Tavern and Lee’s Palace, Music Canada president Graham Henderson, Music Canada VP Amy Terrill, Jesse Kumagai, the director of programming for Massey and Roy Thomson Hall, and Mike Tanner, of the North By Northeast Festival.

Asked how the Austin trip differs from some of the travel junkets he raged against as a councillor, Ford stressed, “I pay for my own.â€

“I don’t send 21 people out to B.C., I don’t condone that, I don’t believe in that,†he said. “We went on one trip to Chicago — created a lot of interest and big contracts … went to Guadalajara for the Pan Am Games.â€

And (in all seriousness I ask) what were the "big contracts" that came out of the Chicago trip?

They don't?

She was a city councillor for almost 15 years. I'd say she's actually quite well known as far as Toronto is concerned.

Sure she has big name recognition and is well known. She got that when she married Jack Layton. Most people know of her without knowing much about her. Knowing of someone is not the same as knowing about someone.

For example, what if anything did she accomplish as a councilor? I can't think of anything. Probably because councilors don't have much power to do anything. The same could be said for her husband Jack, what did he accomplish as councilor other than propose a successful crackdown on lap-dancing in strip clubs (around the the same time he was frequenting massage parlors).

Likewise as an MP sitting in opposition - what did Chow accomplish? Anything? She is the NDP's transportation critic. Has she done anything useful in this job other than call for the closure of Billy Bishop - an airport which supports 5700 local jobs and pumps $2 Billion into the Toronto economy?

By contrast Ford has a growing list of achievements e.g. Scarborough Subway, flat-lining city budget (saving $Billions!) , elimination of vehicle registration tax, elimination of 5 cent plastic bag fee, etc.

Supporters of Chow will point to the fact that she has been on the "right side" of many issues but supporting a cause with rhetoric is not the same thing as actually accomplishing something.

If Chow chooses to run in the next election and she is asked about promises made promises kept what will be her reply? Rob Ford on the other hand...

Sure she has big name recognition and is well known. She got that when she married Jack Layton. Most people know of her without knowing much about her. Knowing of someone is not the same as knowing about someone.

For example, what if anything did she accomplish as a councilor? I can't think of anything. Probably because councilors don't have much power to do anything. The same could be said for her husband Jack, what did he accomplish as councilor other than propose a successful crackdown on lap-dancing in strip clubs (around the the same time he was frequenting massage parlors).

Likewise as an MP sitting in opposition - what did Chow accomplish? Anything? She is the NDP's transportation critic. Has she done anything useful in this job other than call for the closure of Billy Bishop - an airport which supports 5700 local jobs and pumps $2 Billion into the Toronto economy?

By contrast Ford has a growing list of achievements e.g. Scarborough Subway, flat-lining city budget (saving $Billions!) , elimination of vehicle registration tax, elimination of 5 cent plastic bag fee, etc.

Supporters of Chow will point to the fact that she has been on the "right side" of many issues but supporting a cause with rhetoric is not the same thing as actually accomplishing something.

If Chow chooses to run in the next election and she is asked about promises made promises kept what will be her reply? Rob Ford on the other hand...

Are you being sarcastic like Forgotten or no? It seems like you are.

What did people know about David Miller when he first ran for Mayor? Barbara Hall easily had more name recognition and a track record as mayor. Ultimately, it didn't matter as people got to know Miller throughout the campaign and bought into his vision for the city.

Chow has more recognition than Miller did when he ran and she also has a long history of service to the city and country (as an MP).

Defeating Ford shouldn't be a problem.

As for Ford's achievements - they're not very impressive, and at least a few of them are fabrications.

And (in all seriousness I ask) what were the "big contracts" that came out of the Chicago trip?

That's what a lot of people have asked, however, the mayor with the mandate of accountability and transparency is mum on any answers other than to tug his own johnson.

Business, drugs, and "meat packing", sounds like a fun time for the Fords. :p

...... Rob Ford, on the other hand will lie, as he always does. End of.

Olivia Chow fulfilled her responsibilities as councilor, handled herself with dignity and respected the citizens of our city. She builds relationships. Ford is a lone wolf. A person who is prone to self destruction. He hasn't hit bottom yet, but, he will.

Olivia Chow fulfilled her responsibilities as councilor, handled herself with dignity and respected the citizens of our city.
In other words kept the seat warm.

She builds relationships.
With whom and about what?

She has no stature within the party that Jack built and is remembered only as his widow. Is that enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back